Free game engine?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WellSpentYouth, Feb 13, 2009.

1. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Hello everyone! I am beginning iPhone programming with tons of help from Schenk Studios. I was wondering if there was like a place to design graphics and easily put them in a game, maybe an engine, something like that. As you can see, my strong point is not game engine, graphic stuff. Just looking for a program for something like that. Thank you!!!!

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Umm, maybe the SDK, and Photoshop. The SDK makes it dead simple to link to images and graphics. If you want an engine, free isn't going to happen.

3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  4. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Thank you! I guess I don't know what I am talking about. Thanks for the feedback.

5. bovinedragon

bovinedragon Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    The bottom line is you cant make a game without doing at least a little coding. However there are free engines out there, such as 'oolong' and 'si02'.

6. Jelkster

Jelkster Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Student
    Cleveland, OH
    how easy/hard is it to develop an engine without being a mathematician? that's cool that there are apparently free ones out there. but im sure i cant just step into this with basically no graphical programming experience outside of drawing shapes and stuff...OR CAN I?....

7. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    You don't need much math unless you're planning on building a 3D engine, but if you're just starting out 3D is not the right place to be anyway. No matter what your end goal is, though, you've got to start somewhere. As brewstermax suggested, get the iPhone SDK. I'm sure the thing comes with tutorials. I don't know how much programming experience the tutorials assume you have, but if they seem too complex, either pick up a book or scour the net for resources on beginner Objective-C programming. I would worry about the basics of programming before you concern yourself with graphics.

8. Jelkster

Jelkster Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Student
    Cleveland, OH
    thanks for the advice. i will be picking up an objective-c book. i do have a lot of experience with java programming, as that is what i did the majority of my undergrad in computer science. i started out in c++ but then when i moved to java/c#, i never looked back.

9. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    You can get going with CoreAnimation.. makes it pretty easy to move stuff around the screen. UIImageView makes it pretty trivial to load up an image and display it.

Things like advanced collision detection + physics, probably best to start with something like Cocos2D. :)

10. If you have experience with Java and C++, you can probably pick up Objective C pretty quickly. You might not even need to the book. This document from Apple might be enough: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/Introduction/chapter_1_section_1.html

11. Sketh

Sketh Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I went from barely any coding experience (in C++) to objective C pretty easily, and just using the online documentation. There are also various video tutorials provided on the iPhone dev site.

Erica Sadun wrote the iPhone Developers Cook Book, and I've yet to pick it up, but it seems to get a lot of praise.

12. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    If you are serious about this, or have some extra cash, I'd say look into Unity:

www.unity3d.com

EDIT:

(It uses Java and C#...right up your alley!)

13. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I am sorry, I assume you are talking to me (I started the thread), so I don't understand this statement. You don't know me, so you don't know what languages I know. I actually don't know c # or java. This probably a misunderstanding, but I wanted to clearify. Thank you!

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Actually, I think you'd be making a bad assumption. I believe he was talking to Jelkster, who somewhat hijacked this thread at one point asking about whether or not a lot of math was needed for programming an engine. He mentioned that he knew C# and Java.

15. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I am sorry, I am don't have enough time to go through the posts. I apologize. I didn't want him to think I was smart enough to know 3 different languages! Wow. That would epic! ROFL. Have a nice day!

16. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    No offense, but if I wasn't in the middle of trying to solve my brother's web site issues, I think this is where I'd make some rude comment like "you want to learn to write games, but you don't have the time to go through 15 posts?" But then, I don't feel like being rude right now :D

17. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Well, I am glad you feel nice! I spend ALL of my free time (video game, party) on programming. I am in the beginning stages, but I am learning alot and having fun. So yes, I am actually quite busy. Have a great day and keep the good attitude! BTW: I also do all the sports at my school and some sports for the city. Including, track, baseball, golf, tennis, basketball, ping pong... I do alot of stuff!! LOL

18. jkonkel29

jkonkel29 Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hey i have no clue about programming and all of that stuff but im really good at making graphics if you like me to make some for you i would be happy to. but im only 16 but i don't think thats a problem. I think it would be really cool to have my graphics in your game i can send you some of the stuff i had made. just e-mail me if you want some help. But i only know 2D i have no clue about 3D...
    [email protected]

-Jeff

19. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Coming from an ActionScript 3 / Java background, cocos2d has been amazing for me: http://code.google.com/p/cocos2d-iphone/. I was able to go from never using a Mac development environment to a pretty solid start on my first 2D iPhone game in less than a month. It has great samples and a pretty active discussion board.