Free App Daily Scam using incentives

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by newshidstudios, Aug 6, 2012.

1. newshidstudios

newshidstudios Active Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Developer
    Maryland
    Hello,

Earlier this year Apple placed a ban on all incentive based downloads. Isnt what this app is doing basically?

Giving users points for downloading which they can trade for money and giftcards.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/freeappdaily/id470044625?mt=8

Please clarify this for me because I am thinking about reporting them

2. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    It's true but the app isn't being used anymore. If you open the app it redirects you to the website it now runs on. So reporting the app won't do any good, as its run on the web like Free My Apps

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Well you still might be able to report them since their sponsor apps are accessing and sharing UDIDs to confirm downloads. Which I'm pretty sure is what Apple is trying to get rid of.

4. As I recall, the apps that Apple specifically banned were awarding IAP currency or other IAP items to players for downloading other apps.

Apple was not getting their cut from these, so they banned them.

The app you mentioned above does not have any IAP, so I believe it does not fall under the same category.

In addition, Apple's interpretation of their own developer agreement (section 3.10) really does not ban the IAP incentivized downloads directly. It is a very vague catch-all kind of clause.

Here is the section:
    3.10: Developers who attempt to manipulate or cheat the user reviews or chart ranking in the App Store with fake or paid reviews, or any other inappropriate methods will be removed from the iOS Developer Program.

The "other inappropriate methods" is the catch-all under which they justified the removals.