Universal Frane: Dragon’s Odyssey (Kemco/CxC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, May 17, 2019.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA

Frane: Dragons' Odyssey

Kotobuki Solution Co., Ltd.
    Kunah, a boy from the fire dragon tribe is one day summoned by the god that reigns over the world above, Vanneth, and is…
    $8.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Kunah, a boy from the fire dragon tribe is one day summoned by the god that reigns over the world above, Vanneth, and is told to bring Escude, a lost girl from the angel clan back to Vanneth. With his childhood friend, Riel, the daughter of the ice dragon chief, he follows after the missing girl and sets out for the vast world below the clouds only to find mysterious and fun adventures. Take on enemies by making use of weapons and magic in different situation in quick-paced action battles! Explore dungeons, craft items, upgrade weapons, cook dishes and enjoy your quest with a variety of original and colorful characters awaiting during your adventure! * This app supports devices newer than iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad mini 2 with iOS 9.0 and up. User support on non-supported devices is not guaranteed.
    Information
    Seller:Kotobuki Solution Co., Ltd.
    Genre:Action, Role Playing
    Release:May 16, 2019
    Updated:May 19, 2019
    Version:1.0.1
    Size:1.5 GB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/frane-dragons-odyssey/id1459835206?mt=8

This is a rerelease of a 2003 PC RPG that originally came out on iOS in 2012. It seems to be upgraded and iPhone X aware, but if you want to read more about it, check out the original thread.

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    That’s pretty crappy if they’re going this route to add X support. I’ve really been hoping Kemco would upgrade some of my favorites like the Asdivine Hearts and Alphadia games, Djinn Caster and Fantasy Chronicle. But it’s maddening when devs go the re-release route over updates to existing games.

Never got this one but don’t want to reward this behavior.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #3 squarezero, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    To be fair, the original game was published by CxC itself, not Kemco. It kind of sucks for people who already own the original game, but I understand why Kemco would want to charge for the update — keep in mind that they made no money on the original release.

anthony78 likes this.
  4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Oh, ok. I didn’t know they didn’t publish it.

5. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    love the original. is this really iphone x support? hard to tell from screenshots

6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Good game for someone who likes action RPGs?

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I literally just launched it once. From what I could see, they’re using decorative borders.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yes, if your tolerance for weird mechanics is good. Think of a mix of Ys 1 and 2 with a dual stick shooter, then add an AI controlled second character with its own combat mechanics. This is not a straightforward, Zelda-inspired action RPG — and certainly not to everyone’s taste. If you get into its groove, though, you can look forward to 13-15 hours of bizarre, sometimes cringy fun.

9. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I saw this was going to release on the Switch, and I was really hoping they'd update the app I bought back in 2012... But, honestly, if it takes a new publisher to get this one back out there, I might buy it again. I beat it the first time around, and really enjoyed it, weird mechanics and all. Then again, I'm a sucker for dragon stories.