Universal Fowlst (by Thomas Young)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 13, 2017.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #21 VirtualBoyFreak, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Many long-time and reliable TA members praising the game and giving it 5-stars? Sold. Just bought it and there's a gameplay video in the app store, btw. EDIT: I'm back... Freaking amazing! Just one game played, and it's fantastic! Surely a 5-star game, which I'll put here when I play more than just a single game and make sure it's great ;)

2. cnewhall

cnewhall Member

Jun 11, 2012
    How can you possibly call Cat Puncher unappealing?!

3. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Most fun I've had in a long time :) also very original it's a very fresh breath of premium air after weeks of stale fare

4. CamZer0

CamZer0 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    #24 CamZer0, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Great game, so much fun and has that "one more go" element to it. As a fan of Edmund McMillen I can defiantly see some nods to his art style. This would be great with more navigation options. Maybe a mini map and multiple branching paths, hidden rooms and more of a story... just an idea.

Also I'm 10th on the leaderboard. Come get me.

EDIT: I'm now 3rd

5. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Second place worldwide with 253,800. Died by the devil with the little flames around him on Area 91. That was a long session!

Attached Files:

6. CamZer0

May 8, 2012
    Wow! Good going! Felt like an age when I got to Area 40. Have you fully upgraded everything?

7. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    There's a bug with the amount of gold bags achieved. If I get more than 150-200 the counter seems to show more than what I really get. Not much of a deal though, just so that you know.

8. CamZer0

May 8, 2012
    Do you mean at the end of a run? Because I'm pretty sure you're rewarded more bags for how many areas you cleared.

9. zinkdogg

zinkdogg Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Man, I'm only getting to Area 20. Crazy.....

10. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#30 Anotherkellydown, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Thanks, CamZer0 - not too shabby yourself! I'm still a few upgrades away from that. I think it was: health 7, eggs 6, rockets 7, magnet 8 when I got that.

It looks like you get one extra gold added to your total per area completed.

Tips for whoever:

- don't be afraid to use your power ups right away, especially the one with the heart on it - it often seems to drop right about the time you're gonna die and has saved me SEVERAL times just in one run. Another reason to use powerups quickly - they are replaced when you pick up a new one.

- know when to flap: make sure you keep flapping around to avoid the enemy lasers. Learn the timing of their attacks and don't stay in their line. For example - falling the entire screen to kill an enemy will likely result in them hitting you because you stayed on that "line" for too long. Same goes for attacking from below. More left & right flapping rather than all right or left taps.

- wait to focus on the health upgrades until after you've got the others to at least 3 or 4. Those rockets and eggs take out a ton of enemies for you.

11. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yes. I know you get rewarded one bag per level cleared, but when you clear 20 levels and make it to -let's say- 150 bags, it will show you have achieved 254 bags (for example) when in reality you got only 169-170 (in my example).

12. zinkdogg

Jul 7, 2013
    I'm getting better at it. I like dive bombing to get enemies. I'll usually flap to the side and dive as they are firing where I was. Of course, it doesn't work that well later in the wave and things get hectic. Just got a Level 27, broke the top 10 for the moment.

13. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    #33 shfrost, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    This is another game I initially resisted, but due to the many glowing reviews, decided to give it a whirl. Reviews are correct and then some! I love a small games with a big punch, and Fowlst delivers. Seldom have I wanted a coin doubler so bad. ;)
    Excellent stuff.

Edit to say: After a bit more play, perhaps I don't need that coin doubler after all. Sure, it would speed up the purchases, but this game seems to be very well balanced. With just a few upgrades tacked on, I'm not terrible any longer. Not ready to take on the leader board yet, but at least horribly awful noob play is behind me.

14. zinkdogg

Jul 7, 2013
    Glitch.....

I just experienced a glitch. The only one I've had playing this awesome game. I was in a boss fight (level19)with the Fish Demon and I fell thru the bottom border of the level. I could still move but couldn't hit or be hit by the enemy. So, I had to quit. I'm not complaining, just trying to bring it to attention.:confused:

Attached Files:

15. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    This game is Fowlst!

16. Exelion

Exelion Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Bug

I realy love this game, its simple and fun, however the powerups misfire its realy annoying. :(

17. neca

neca Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    I just discovered this game and is phenomenal, really balanced and perfect controls, really hoping for a sequel!!

18. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    This great game is now temporarily on sale. :)

A mix of cheerful background music and classic arcade. :p

19. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Agree !!! A pure hidden gem !

20. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011