Forums down from $9,99 to $2,99, anyone TOFTT?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Crypton, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Yeah, heard that from the devs too. Gonna update my review asap the update is out.

2. MaxPower

MaxPower Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I see an udate just came out... anyone tried it? I'm still on the fence...

3. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    If only I had the money.

4. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    The update makes Forums better but not good!
    :| It crashes every time I try to submit a post to TA, but I think that's an improvement to the previous behaviour in letting me post and then nothing apearing
    :) Threads are now marked with their last update time (today, yesterday, etc)
    :) Smaller Font size in the threads overview; more to read
    :( still no landscape support
    :) You can now delete your favourite threads

Still too expensive for an Forum reader imo, but better than before!

5. otggamer

otggamer Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I'm new...what does TOFTT mean?

6. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Welcome to TA.
    TOFTT: Taking One For The Team
    Meaning: One how will spend the money and tell others what's all about.

7. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    decided to take the plunge after the update and as Crypton says there are still issues.

good points
    nice clear font
    able to scroll down and read forum topics, posts, without have to continually zoom in/out as you would with a web browser
    Multiple pages become one long scroll list or you can select to go direct to a page.

bad points
    Font (for me anyway) of the topic headings is still too large, would be heped greatly by having a landscape mode
    Cannot post - always crashes
    Doesn't display posts date/time
    Massive massive memory leaks - I'm running sbsettings to I can see the memory drop in realtime the more I use forums. It goes from 35mb down to 5mb then crashes every time. The worst example I've seen of this.

So, some nice ideas in the app and it does make scanning the latest topic headlines (both in toucharcade and gallifreybase) easy to read, but until the developer actually commits resource to test the app/learns about memory management, then it's dead in the water.

It makes a mockery of Apple's approval system that they allow an app to be released with such bad memory issues let alone some of the interface problems

Maybe crypton and I need to offer out services to the developer to help test the next version.

I know of at least two developers of web browsers who are going to incorporate some form of easy forum reading in future releases so he needs to hurry up :)

Mat

8. Jeremy1026

Jeremy1026 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    It scares me that the value of good software is limited to 99¢ due to the stupid price wars.

9. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    indeed, but I've done it myself, been put off buying a game because it's £1.79 instead of 59p ! It's crazy when full price psp and ds games are over £20

Saying that though, this piece of software shouldn't be out of beta testing. I don't mind the odd feature not working, but with it's current memory leaking issues it's unusable.