forum idea: separate subforum for promo code threads?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by costanza, Jan 11, 2009.

?

Should Promo codes have their own forum section

1. YES- Allocate a new forum section

75.0%
  2. NO- Keep promo threads in the game section

25.0%
  1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I used to think that it took rocket science to come up with a great idea. Wow, costanza, are you a rocket scientist?? ;). @rootbeersoup, I agree completely. @RedStaR, yes it was, and maybe a poll on this one would be more appropriate.

50HellsofPain likes this.
  2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I love that TouchArcade is a democracy. No communist mods around here. :p.

3. I will add a poll to this thread to make this absolutely fair, ok people?

4. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    @Brewmaster:
    Thats a very arrogant acception of an apology?

5. tadad1

tadad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm all for a devoted promo code section, the code whoring is on the rise and will only get worse.

6. Ok people. Poll is up on this thread. Start voting!

7. games42

games42 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    lol ok group hug :) no hard feelings....I guess I'm off to a bad start here so let's start fresh...anyways a poll here wouldn't really work since everyone in this thread is against the promos but wtvr and sorry again. I'm really a nice person.:eek:

8. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    what I don't understand is how promo threads consiting of joke and football score contest are still up in the games section!!!!!!!!! and these aren't like junior members starting these threads either, but i guess that's why its acceptible.

fair my a$$!!!

9. Yes, lets start fresh (hand-shake).
    The poll here should work fine. Everyone has a chance of visiting this section of the forum, wether they are for or against. I will even edit my last post on the closed thread to say people can vote on this one.
    Thanks again for the apology.

10. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I voted for a new section, but I'd rather they just be done away with completely

11. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    yea I can't stand those users who start NFL contests for a promo code :D
    I guess no more from me :(

12. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    @Wastedyouth:
    I understand that a clutter of any repetitve post is annoying, but it's not as if a lot has come out in the last few days to talk about....even the homepage has had the same LCD game up since yesterday morning. Not to mention that threads filter themselves...so if a collective group wanted to stop the thread from blossoming in that forum he could just not post a comment saying "how he hates that people make these threads or to many" you kind of made your own monster there.

I measn if i don't like a thread thats at the bottom...I wouldn't post a pointless comment "how many more codes threads do we need" cause that would put it at the top

Second- this is a question, as it stands now there is no deticated forum for codes right? so where would someone new start a GAME code thread.....prbably the GAMES section.
    not trying to be a dick....i'm asking seriousley

13. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I voted to create a new section for promo codes. While I personally find the promo code threads and posts annoying, I would not like to see them banned from Touch Arcade. I'm sure they serve a good purpose for app developers and some users. So a seperate promo code section would be a good idea.

14. #54 wastedyuthe, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    1) Agreed. Trouble is they still stay at the top till the codes have gone anyway. Before all this promo-code stuff, this place was a great forum for game discussion, and that's all we wanted. Then it changed to what it is now.

2) Agreed. At the moment, the Game section is the only place for it. But that's why we are discussing the issue here.

15. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    I think tht the Iphone wallpaper thread needs to be moved aswell

16. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    You are so right... I used to love coming here and talking about games. Current games, future games, etc. I wasn't even bothered by the X vs Y threads. But all this promo code crap has been a total turn off and I've been visiting TA very sparingly since this has all happened.

17. Yes I thought about moving it to the Lounge, but the wallpapers started off being (and are mostly) of apps/games. So the app section is kind of appropriate. Back on topic please.

18. Ok people. I have had to remove quite a few posts on here now, because some are getting a little heated. Let's keep this calm and discuss like the grown ups we are. I want this thread to stay open so we can see how the poll progresses. Thank you.

19. games42

games42 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    well like i predicted, this poll didn't start off on the right foot....it's like judging a deer in a lions den :rolleyes:

20. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #60 Tavoss, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    Hey all,

I'm on this forum nearly every day while I'm at work, just cruising. Right now, when I jump on the forum, I have to wade past the promo threads before I get to any game news or discussion. Its just annoying.

I don't think they should be banned though! I think they are great advertising for the smaller developers! I just believe they should have their own forum. While there are plenty of arguments for them having their own forum, there aren't any I can think of to keep them in with the regular gaming forum. If they have their own, then they can still be accessed by all who want them, and can be easily ignored by those who don't.... so whats question then in making a decision?