Universal Fortress: Destroyer (Ninja Kiwi)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sugimulm, Dec 10, 2015.

1. faceleg

faceleg Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
    Will I enjoy this game if I never buy any iap?

Are there any items that can be gained only through iap?

2. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #22 Solarclipse, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    IAP will lessen the grind, I don't see a paywall though. You get three ships and it costs a lot of resources to build another but you can also upgrade and that takes less. If you farm the hot spots you'll get more resources. Yeah I think it's fair.

I guess the only thing I would add is that having a few more levels, or if the hot spots were a little more adaptive to the level of your ship because the experience you get...it can take a while longer than I'd like.

There's no iap for experience, btw.

Edit: it looks like every day many of the missions will have a doubler on then—gold, exp, alloys, and circuits. After putting he game down a while I had four of these in a row and went from level 10 to almost thirteen and can fight a kraken boss—which is pretty strong and adding a whole 'nother level to the plot!

I appreciate the world building touches in this game—the sunken cities, and the count of black water and allied ships in the lower left corner.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other unlocks there are on the home base island :)

3. faceleg

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
    Thanks for the reply, sounds great!

Happy to see the developers are fellow New Zealanders!

4. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Anyone playing this? I dunno about u guys after a whole it seems quite repetitive.. Now I just send the ships for missions.

If the towers and modules are avaliable easily and the mission slightly more challenging it could probably be more fun to play.. Right now it's just grinding the same old plot

5. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    That's a shame. I picked this up on release but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I was pretty certain it was gonna be good. I wouldn't be too worried yet though because the Ninja Kiwi guys/gals are very reliable for updates & extra content, plus they said a few posts back that they had extra stuff planned. Here's hoping they're (reading) listening.

6. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    #26 Solarclipse, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    There aren't a lot of different missions—although more might be hidden for higher levels—but there is a lot of variety as you replay—different objectives, different bosses. So it's not always the same and as far as a grind goes, I've been cool with it. And I'm usually not.

I am looking at some of those areas on the island and hoping I can unlock something in them later! Might be another update away but who knows. I am thinking there is a hidden area after the level 20 one because the berths have unlocks at level forty and fifty.

So as you get one ship up to speed, you can deck out a lower level ship and its pretty fun to trounce a bunch of enemies, which nets you more experience and resources so it's less grind catching up. I am seeing that the doublers flow fairly freely. Once a day, all the regular missions double—at least once—and hot spots double several times.

As you level up, your fleet missions net considerably more rewards which also helps you train lower level ships. It's fun to mod ships out in different builds. At first I didn't realize tower modules sat inside the guns, I thought it was either or but thankfully not. You can get guns that hold two or I read three even modules which, I bet, can get pretty amazing.

Inventory management could be better. Towers are ordered by rank top down, and stuff your particular boat can't use is at the bottom. It's easy to compare one turret to another. It would be nice if, after loading a module it didn't have to refresh your whole list and start you at the top again though...and if you could checkout looking at just certain kinds of guns, because the collection you can get...can get pretty large, between plans and built items.

I would say if you like modding and lots of options and don't mind a grind, this is pretty damn fun. I am not sure how much story there actually is in this yet but...it's more than battleheart. I am hoping for some cutscenes at some point when something big goes down.

One last thing—I like the way cloud saving is done. It's pretty simple and safe to switch to my iPhone so when I use the bathroom I can send ships out on fleet missions. Kiwi, it would be nice to have an occasional 90 min mission.

7. faceleg

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
    Agree with everything solareclipse said

8. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    #28 Solarclipse, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    I know I've been posting a lot but have to say the game currently ends at Bermuda, the level 20 locked mission.

With the kraken boss I was thinking there was a story going somewhere, but both kraken and the black prince are...not random, but it would make sense to have some follow up...maybe it all connects eventually, but it was underwhelming.
    Especially so because after beating the highest mission there isn't even a congratulations screen or note that there are plans for anything in particular to stay excited for.

Talk about taking the wind out of your sails.

Update: I emailed ninjakiwi and they confirmed more missions planned but didn't give a timeline.

9. hunkyducky1

hunkyducky1 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Grinding is usually pretty tedious for me but with this game its actually not bad :)

10. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #30 LordShad0wz, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    To Ninja Kiwi / Devs,

I'm pretty pissed. I've been playing the game. I really like the battle ship. I like your dev team and decided what the hell let me purchase an IAP. So I saw the Bulwark Battleship for $6.99 so I went for it.

What a freaken colossal mistake. If someone spends $6.99 on your game you should provide a damn way for them to actually build the ship they thought they were buying. I'm sitting here looking at a hull and some pieces and can't do a damn thing. First the deal comes with $500,000 gold. It costs $750,000 to build the ship. So I'm NEGATIVE $250,000. This is how you treat people who pay you money? Why the hell does it cost anything when I just paid real money? Then if that wasn't bad enough to it costs $250,000 EACH just to build a bridge for the ship that I cannot even build in the first place. So now I'm another $500,000 in the NEGATIVE.

This is utter $j$)$$&j !

How can you guys do this? How? I can't believe this. I've wasted money. I'm sitting here looking at ship pieces. Please no one purchase any IAP. It's not worth it.

Billy

11. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    #31 Son of Anarchy, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Ninja Kiwi,

Regarding Billy's story *above, that's utter bullshit. I've got the game, I've played the game, but it's not on my device anymore because I always felt compelled to buy iap.

I almost bought the Bulwark Battleship also, it would have cost me $10.99 au and I would be just as pissed as he is. I thought you'd get a fully assembled ship PLUS the cash and other currency to use on something else, not have to use it to build your ship, let alone it not even be enough to build the ship you just forked out extra cash for.

I'm sorry guys, you may be pushing your game (which is really good by the way) as Premium, but it feels very fremium with a price tag to me. I love Ninja Kiwi and I have no doubt you'll rectify this but right now the game has large balance issues if it wants to call itself Premium.

The ability to call Salty at a moments notice (even if you chose to never see the shop) and sending your ships out on timed missions (while helpful just encourages you to open game, send ships, close game again) are all Fremium tropes.

I look forward to installing again after a few changes are made. Also it'd probably be the right thing to do to compensate Billy in some way. Just my opinion.

*Previous page.

12. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    I bought the corvette ship, an infiltrator I think and it came with more than enough money to build it. It was the same, 500k. But it would be nice to know with the bulwark that it's not enough. It gets easier to earn money as you level up, For sure. I wouldn't say there is a paywall though. Missions are completable with decent ships—you just don't get as much bonuses out of it if you can't kill or move as quickly.

13. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Does this game have cloud save on it?

14. hunkyducky1

hunkyducky1 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2013
    The game gets easier as you level up. You don't need IAP. At higher levels you get better rewards and stuff sells for more etc.

15. sindyan

sindyan Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    I'm thinking about buying this game but the way it is set up from the sounds of it, will be going free at sometime in the future. It sounds to much like a free to play game.

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Don't buy the IAP that's for sure. You only get screwed.

Billy

17. delebru

delebru New Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Ninja Kiwi
    Sorry we never read this before! The given gold should have been enough to build the ship if you didn't have enough, that's a clear mistake on our part!

We'll adjust that pack and give you the gold you didn't get, please send an email to [email protected]

If anyone else is on the same situation please send an email as well.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for feedback!!

18. sindyan

May 14, 2012
    Is there any plans for any updates for this game? Bug fixes, or new content?

19. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Free games with iap are bad enough but a game that charges you to buy the game and then has iap on top.
    No way in hell would i waste what little money i have on any game that does this.

20. sindyan

May 14, 2012
    Are they any plans to allow you to sync this game with the browser version? Since I can link my favebook account to this game, and I can link the browser game to the account for kiwi account to my Facebook page. It would be nice to be able to play on the browser during down time at work (or be sending out missions often!).

It would be nice to be get notifications when my ship missions are done.

One question for players.

Are the tiers of the blueprint depend on your level? So I will get more tier 4/5 when I'm level 30+ compare to level 12 in terms of drop rate.