iPhone Former Fable Director's new game: Incoboto

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Dene, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    #81 Dene, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    If you want a unique, devastatingly bleak atmosphere, and some pretty mind-bending puzzles, you'll love this.

The music (here) should give you a big clue to what this game is all about. Lordy, I need to get a decent video together.

For the record, Fluttermind is just me. All by myself. Art, music, design, coding - it's all up to me to get it right, so the messages of encouragement are really, really gratefully received.

Fingers crossed the March 3rd release works out.

Here are some pics in the meantime:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Dene

2. TimoVihola

TimoVihola Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Creative Director at Mountain Sheep inc
    Can't wait to try it out, looks very unique!

3. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    "if you can complain you can breathe, if you can still breathe than dont complain"

LOVE THAT! Those corporation folk are pretty literally talented! I'm moving slow but sure in the game , no more bugs yet.... Love the updates too! And will buy the soundtrack ASAP ...some of the most moving ambient I have heard in a long time!

4. Jengelander

Jengelander Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Dene,

Just a quick question, how much do I have to pay for the soundtrack? System is kinda confusing, it asks me how much I am willing to pay. Is that correct? Wanna buy the great music and also the game. Have been a quit observer of this thread ever since you started it, finally wanted to give a shout out to you how amazing it looks and sounds! Will buy this game as soon as it is released, really curious!

5. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    It's two euros or 3 us dollars you cant actually pay more if you want to support Dene...soundtrack is done quite well! ... And yes you will love this game ...it's amazing. I can't wait to fall asleep with the new tunes tonight!

6. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Huge thanks.

The Corporation is what happens when a legal entity like a company (which literally lives on after the creators die and is considered 'a person' to this extent!) begins to have an identity outside of those who created it. I liked the idea that it would have a definite personality of its own, even after everyone was dead. I'm thinking of allowing people to tweet the little aphorisms at the bottom of Corporation notices, as they're pretty short - and quite silly.

"#incoboto: If you can if you can complain you can breathe, if you can still breathe than don't complain"

As for the music - you should see my little studio; there are so many little blinking lights and wires. I love making this stuff, so it's a huge pleasure to offer it as a separate thing. Every penny you put toward it allows me to buy more weird machines to make odd noises with.

If there's enough interest, I'll put up my previous album 'Songs For One Black Star', too.

The movie is coming together - finally - you'd not believe how hard it is to get footage out of an iPad! I now have to decide whether to make it 'a standard trailer' and all 'in-your-face explain-ey' or... darker.

Incoboto is a pretty bleak game. While there's a lot of humour, underneath it all, it's a game about loss and loneliness. I'm sure part of that is from having created it all by myself, in complete isolation.

As such, I hate the idea of a trailer mis-selling the game as a dumb slapstick comedy or action game, because it's not.

So I am stuck between two choices of movie:

1) Standard:
    "On the far side of the galaxy all the suns have gone out. Two friends go on an adventure to light the sky. Exploration! Gadgets! Puzzles! Cheese! Actually we lied about the cheese. Jetpacks! Incoboto: out March 2012."

or

2) Darker:
    "In... co... bo... to... (a whole lot of footage plays between the letters with no explanation and one of the tracks from the album playing underneath). Incoboto: the journey begins March 2012"

It's a hard choice, and you guys are the nearest thing I have to a team to discuss it with these days.

Comments?

7. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

I'd go for the darker one. This way you really show what this game is about in terms of atmosphere and you can create quite an impression on viewers.

8. Jengelander

Jengelander Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Thanks Trev1 for the info! Will pay extra to support Dene :D

9. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I'd go for the more bleak and mysterious tone in the trailer.

10. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    #90 Trev1, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    Dark all the way Dene...as fun and catchy the first option may be i feel the game so far is a beautifully emotive and somewhat dark story that somehow evokes alot of feeling into whoever plays it...I know the in your face jolly idea of the first one is better for catching sales but its all up to you really, the trailer segues to what one will somewhat expect to experience ... no? The way i see it either way you cant lose :)

by the way love the tweet idea...the corporation rules!

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The darker one, definitely.

12. TheUndertow

TheUndertow Member

Sep 16, 2011
    I'd vote the darker one...if the game is not slap stick, don't sell it short with the trailer being so.

P.S. if you want someone else on the team, I work for compliments.

13. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Well, folks and folkettes, your wish is my command. It's going to be the slightly more mysterious one. Thanks!

14. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #94 Dene, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    Finally - the video is up. Please enjoy. Please pass it on. Please tweet. Please do anything you like to get people to look at it and go... "What the hell is that?"

15. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Great trailer, added it to my sig. But... typo at the end, March 2010.

16. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Oh, dear God. That's what you get for working until way too late in the evening...

Thanks!

17. reec0X

reec0X Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Computer Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Congratulations for the video. Is it official from Fluttermind?

18. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Well, as Fluttermind and I are the same, that's a big 'yup'. Apart from the date typo - that was... um... entirely someone else's fault (looks around for staff to blame it on and fails).

19. reec0X

reec0X Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Computer Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Video removed?

20. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Video updated. Unfortunately, YouTube doesn't allow updates to videos without destroying the original URL. I've updated the link above, so it should be working fine.