Universal Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities (by Psychose Interactive Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by psj3809, Apr 23, 2015.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Very true. I dont have so much of that sort of time but i'm going to 'find time' to play it like that. Second the wife wants to talk though i'll have to tell her to wait till i find a computer to save my progress on ;)

2. tatoforever

tatoforever Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    Forgotten Memories is probably (if I'm not mistaken) the first attempt a hardcore gaming in Mobile. And yes, it wasn't an error and have been developed with our testers since two years now. The choice of limited save point is by design and part of game mechanics, as others pointed out, is not a game for the quick go or easy ride.
    I found PocketGamer review a bit unfair, it doesn't even talk about the graphics or sounds. But that's how personal tastes are, you cannot please everyone or anyone! :)
    Regards,

3. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    I only read reviews from TA , pocket gamer lost their popularity years ago , nobody cares about what they say about this game. We as the player of this game , knows very well how good this game is and how much effort is put into it.So dont worry man , their reviews will not affect the sales.Its still as hot as cupcakes .

4. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I don't give the furry crack of a rat's behind to what you're saying, I bought the game anyway;) i'm a casual player with quite a low hardcore gaming skills because I'm not that young already, but I'm still gonna give your game a fair try. You're not going to scare me, just so you know:p

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This is one game where you should play in the dark with headphones on though. Give it a go !

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I like how objective most of your posts are Rip, but this one just sounded elitist.

Telling people to leave because a feature turned them off doesnt fit you considering your other posts.

And saying it's not for casuals, think of all the other games that were never meant for casuals. MHFU, Bioshock, KOTOR, even indies like Wayward Souls, Hero Emblems or Out There.

Sure the game wasnt meant for casuals, but it was meant for mobile gaming, and some considerations needed to happen.

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's fine for more complex and involved mobile games like this one to have a manual, limited save system as opposed to automatic checkpoints or save-anywhere, but even if they go that route it is still hugely preferable that they also automatically preserve the game state when the app is closed, and allow the player to resume a single time from that exact point when they re-open the game rather than force them to reload the last manual save. It's not like such a system would have any impact on the actual gameplay (you couldn't use it to cheat, for example); it's just a matter of convenience and user-friendliness.

The absence of such a feature in a game like this on a mobile device isn't "hardcore" or "old-school", it's just a simple disregard for the nature of the platform and the people who use it.

That said, the game itself is definitely solid, and is one of the very few real horror games on iOS that isn't yet another tired Slenderman clone. While it has its own identity, it's also pretty much a love letter to a number of obvious inspirations, including Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alan Wake and Twin Peaks, with clear references to those and many others sprinkled throughout the game.

It does need an option to disable subtitles for spoken dialogue, though.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly. I remember the Older Brothers thread when that game came out, the controls werent great, people were saying 'they're fine - leave them' and in the end the game didnt sell well and i think theyre not releasing games

Or Sine Mora where the controls werent relative touch, people wanted that, others said 'no get used to the controls' etc.

At the end of the day we want games to do well, i want this to be a huge hit. Personally think they need to sell to the masses rather than the hardcore few to get money back.

Again i'm a fan of this, from what i've played so far i'm really liking it, just have to arrange my time a bit better with the 'controversial' save issue ! Be interesting to see what TA's review says when its out.

Hope this games does well. Just have the feeling in 5 months time there'll be an update with a save feature or something ! Seen it happen before on some games

But either way, huge congrats to the devs

9. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Oh, i'm planning to play exactly like that! Don't worry, I've got it all figured out, almost. The sun goes down at eight, kids are going to bed at nine, I'll manage to get my wife into bed before ten and than I'm going for a few straight hours of scary madness right before going to bed myself. I'm expecting some quite sweet dreams this night, so yeah;)

10. paulkolin86

paulkolin86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    I've played this game almost 1 hour already ( with breaks, because i'm visting this forum from time to time) saved only once and still have 2 floppy discs in my pocket. So what's the problem? I really can't understand some ppl here. Like I said I like the saving system here and if the developer ever changes it I hope only by adding difficulty level ( normal - autosave or save whenever you wish / hard - only by using floppy disc ). I will still use the 2nd feature.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hahaha! Exactly my plan too. I havent loaded the game up yet because i bought it prepared. I knew it's a game that i need to sit down with, so im planning time well to get into this. LOL.

12. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    Same here,
    You probably wonder why Forgotten Memories 609 pages thread ended up in TouchArcade? Is because I'm a bit more confident and trustful when it comes gaming reviews on TouchArcade. Plus, people here are awesome. :)

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Good for you but gamers are different. To be a massive financial success you have to appeal to the masses not the hardcore gamers. Perhaps you have more free time than others so its easier for you.

14. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    And yeah, you need lot of time to play this game. We recommend playing it at night with headphones (alone in the dark is a plus). :)

15. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer

[​IMG]

16. paulkolin86

paulkolin86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    #96 paulkolin86, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    I'm 29 years old man, I run my own company ( which is hard ) and still have time to play using floppy disks and this way I enjoy this game as much as I can.

17. tatoforever

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    We never intended to please the mass, mainly old school survival horror fans and hardcore gamers. If we intend to please masses we should have done casual tiny games (which btw i don't have any problem with). It was just our development and commitment decision since the beginning. Also, we believe mobile gaming really need fresh gaming content and experiences.

18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #98 Rip73, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    It's not in any way, shape or form meant to elitist or discourage discussion. Not by a long shot.
    I've spent plenty of time on here countering people who are complaining about the lack of depth in mobile games and how easy they are to play.

Injustice/mortal kombat/IB series serve as point in hand. I've defended them because they are perfect for the casual mobile audience and in my position I fully endorse and support the mobile casual audience and such games.

However, sometimes even I like something different. That's not elitist, that's just different.
    Some games are for some people, some are not.

For as long as I have defended mobile and casual, I'll defend this one equally as much because it is true to its concept and vision.
    Yes it's uncompromising, but that's not always a bad thing.

I simply would rather not have the thread bogged down. The save system is a mechanic of the game. It is the style of the game.

To change it would change the very nature of the game itself and that would not be a good thing.

It's not elitist to want something different every now and again or to have the option.
    If you want something easy, get Lost Within and that still would be fine because it's an excellent game.
    If you want something challenging and more atmospheric, get this.

That's all. Either option is good because it offers one simple thing, a choice.

So you know, rather than pages and pages complaining about a save system that is an integral part of the nature of the game, it would be nice to just accept the game for what it is and focus on other excellent elements.

I'm pretty sure that's not elitist. It's just pro choice.

I'm also finding it just a little bit ironic considering some of the comments I've frequently read on the forum in general. I thought a hardcore game is what people wanted and auto save, auto heal and so on and so forth are not exactly what I'd consider as contributing to that.

19. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Agree and well said. A design choice and a consumer choice.

Back to the game, anyone played on ipad4? how's the framerate?

20. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    cool it's out. Guys please let me know your impressions. I'm going to somehow get this on my wife's iphone :D

Tato, congrats on the release!