Universal Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities (by Psychose Interactive Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by psj3809, Apr 23, 2015.

1. paulkolin86

paulkolin86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    And i'm afraid such ppl will destroy mobile gaming...
    Play Angry Birds instead...

2. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    You need to find a floppy disk and a computer in order to save, save wisely as there are limited floppy disks. And as for a save option or auto save there is currently no auto save or save option.

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I have no idea what this game is about except it supposed to be horror. And survival I guess. Not my favorite genre, not at all. Not to even mention I consider myself a casual player and any bigger challenge makes the game frustrating instead of fun. Yeah, but there are hundreds of pages in upcoming games' thread. I didn't read those, I just sense it's a long expected title.

That being said, I'm in! Not because of game itself, but because of the fuzz. But mostly because of the developer who cares, who explains the story behind the game to the audience, because it's premium, it took years of hard work to make (judging from what I've read here so far) and the developer simply deserves it. And for doing it right by putting it to the AppStore for launch price. That's why.

I have no expectations. I don't care if it's not my genre. I'm going to play the game and I might even like it. I liked Silent Hill (the movie) after all, so anything's possible. If nothing else, it might only surprised me in positive way, so we'll see. I'll come back later with some impressions, but if it's not my cup of tea after all, I'll hold any negative stuff for myself, I promise. It'll probably gonna be my fault and my fault only if I'll suck in the game, right?;)

Anyway, congratulations on the game, I wish you successfull launch and a lot of love from satisfied gaming community! I just somehow feel you deserve it no matter what. Fingers crossed!

4. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Like many others who have posted on this thread I play games on mobile devices due to a lack of free time. I am a father of 3, with a full time job. I like to be able to dip in and out of games when I have a few minutes to spare. I know that would diminish the atmosphere in a game such as this but that's my choice. As it stands with the current save system I won't be getting the game which is unfortunate as it looks great and I have been following it's development for year's. I think the developers took a calculated risk with this save system but ultimately they seem to have misjudged the mobile marketplace and mobile gamer's needs. Looks like I'll be going with Lost Within.

5. See, that doesn't help either. There's tons of room between playing Angry Birds and simply wanting to be able to save your game before closing it down. The best mobile games take the platform into consideration. Re: my last post.

6. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    When we more than One year ago,we tested The Game without even 50% less floppy,we talk about this,and now they're more than first..same For Medikit,maybe too Much People Wont realise The essence of a true Old School Survival Horror Game..

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I do get that but on the other hand times have changed. I love retro games but back in those days you would wait 7 minutes for a game to load. Play the game, you couldnt save it, once you died you started again. If other games followed that they would get shot down by gamers.

I do kinda get why its harder to save in this game, it'll certainly take me longer to complete this game (and to be fair it'll stop the people who complete a game in 3 hours instantly and moan its not value for money for example) but its still a bit of a bold move

8. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    TBH i also probably will not buy the game due to the save system. I really do not have time to play 40-50 minutes just to reach a checkpoint and that IF i do not die in the meantime. I also agree with @Exact-Pscience about the casual IOS gamer and i think many people will be prevented to buy the game. Of courde that does not change the fact that this is an amazing game.

9. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    i really want to ask devs why they didn't put map option?As i remember sillent hill have maps every location?

10. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #70 Rip73, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Look, I don't know what to tell ya.
    If you're looking for a casual experience, this isn't it.

If you're looking for something with decent sized play sessions rather than a minute here and there, this is it.

If you're looking for something simple at the bus stop play, this isn't it.

If you're looking for something meaningful to delve into when you have real time and want a proper experience, well then this is it.

There's plenty of games for the casuals out there already.
    I've been around here long enough to have read thousands of complaints about the simplicity and lack of depth in mobile games.
    Let's not bog one down that actually tries to counter that, be something more and cater to the non casual audience.

If it's not for you, it's not for you and that's perfectly fine.
    But some of us want something more than five minutes of casual play, something that actually requires a bit of thought and planning and doesn't leave us off easily when we fail in that.

Sonetimes we deserve some cake as well so let's accept its not easy and get the thread bogged down on one point that doesn't appeal to the casuals.
    It's not for the casuals.

11. Mhunt190

May 27, 2012
    USA
    I promise you its worth buying if you love old school horor games. It's a blast, you just have to have patience with the game make sure you have free time the save system takes some time getting use to.

12. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    A mobile game is not much more than a good book which you can bookmark and put down when you want and continue from where you left off. The suspense and drama in a book is not lessened or lost because one can put it it down and continue another time so I don't see why it should be any different for a mobile game.

I do it a lot with my PS4. Just stop in the middle of a shooting scene and put it in standby mode and the game opens up at the same scene.

Auto save is probably the best way to go with these kinds of problems as many people can't just stop for an hour or wait till they find a save point and they shouldn't have to.

13. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    #73 spleen, Apr 23, 2015
    Perhaps a quick save to resume system would work, but if you died after loading the quick save it'd take you back to last full save. That way if your attention was needed elsewhere for whatever reason you could essentially pause, but couldn't abuse it to just retry difficult sections from a point of your choosing. Even this would be a pretty big compromise.

The book and game comparison doesn't really fit.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #74 psj3809, Apr 23, 2015
    Its similar to the whole 'touch controls' argument where a game might just have tilt only controls. If you want to reach a bigger audience and potentially sell more than having alternative controls helps

A checkbox on the options to save regularly would be good and might get more sales. Its difficult, does the dev stay to their principles or cater for the masses?

I'm happy i bought this and i'm glad i know about the saves as i'll pencil in my gameplay more tightly (so i'm not disturbed etc). But i still think its a bold move specially after 5 years or so in the making. Be interesting to hear what other review sites say (Pocket Gamer mentioned this as well in their review).

The problem is i cant have a quick go of this on a train or in a doctors waiting room etc as i dont know when i can save like i can other games.

So far everything else is top notch, the graphics, the creepyness of it all. Very polished. Looking forward to playing it tonight but again i'm just surprised at the saving decision for a mobile game.

Just watched the Appspy video. Mentions spelling mistakes, what were you beta testers doing ? ;)

15. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    You have to understand, we're too spoiled already. I remember my hardcore gaming youth back in the days with ZX Spectrum and no saving at all. But I was a kid, so yeah. I also remember FPS games with medkits and no maps at all. Current trends are different, we're in a hurry most of the time and there's just no opportunity to dig deep into the game and enjoy it for a couple of hours straight. I was so jealous last weekend when I've seen my son to grab a book (diary of a wimpy kid) and read it just in one straight session during the afternoon. I mean, I was glad he likes it and can afford to not care about anything else around him. I was jealous about those times with games, that they're not coming back. It's a bad thing for gaming in general these days, all those auto healing features, linear progressions, cut scenes and quick saving options. I'd appreciate some hardcore atmosphere where one mistake means death, I just can't afford it. I'm just saying, it's important to find specific audience which appreciate your effort for true old-school survival horror. Everything's not lost yet after all;)

16. tatoforever

tatoforever Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    I've added a mention in the description of the game. Only buy it if you are a hardcore gamer. People looking for tiny easy quick short gaming sessions will hit a wall on Forgotten Memories.

17. #77 AppUnwrapper, Apr 23, 2015
    Another example is Stranger's Wrath. It's a port to mobile, but they made it mobile-friendly by allowing you to save at any point. This is just what people expect today. They don't expect a save system from years ago on a brand new game.

I'm sure some people here watch TV? Have a DVR or Netflix? Well, it sometimes takes me four hours (or more) to get through a 1-hour show on my DVR bc I'm pausing constantly. But I know I can watch a few minutes here and there when I have time, so it works for me. Alternatively, if I use On Demand and pause, it often will set me back 10-15 minutes, or even all the way back to the beginning when I resume. With no ability to fast-forward. That's not user-friendly and leads to endless frustration and a ton of wasted time. That's what I'm picturing with this game right now.

Anyway, the game is designed as it is. My original point was simply that it should be much more obvious in the app description so more people can realize it before making the decision to purchase. Especially since it's a feature, not a bug.

Edit: Posted at the same time as Tato. Thanks for listening! :)

Edit 2: And if I do end up playing, I'll definitely follow up with my impressions after all my reservations.

18. Mhunt190

May 27, 2012
    USA
    #78 Mhunt190, Apr 23, 2015
    This is third hardest game I've ever played. It got VERY frustrating at points! If you can get through Deamon Souls or Dark Souls you can get through this game.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think you just threw away some money Tato. :D

20. AL3X83

AL3X83 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    To me this game seems like it would not be enjoyable in 5 min bursts using auto save like a lot of people are saying they would like, I think that would kinda ruin the whole survival horror experience and atmosphere the devs were trying to create here. Longer play sessions in a survival horror sets the atmosphere and experience for what I think the dev intended here. Just my opinion tho. But if it does go that way and the feature would ever get added there should be a toggle in the option to let the true experience stand out for the hardcore fans.