Universal Forget-Me-Not (by Nyarlu Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 22, 2011.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Bought this game earlier and recommended it to a friend as well. Really enjoying this, love the retro style graphics and the gameplay. Would personally prefer a joypad on screen showing the directions but its not that bad without one.

Find the name a bit bizarre and thats one reason why i ignored this game initially but after seeing a video/review of it i bought it instantly. Very impressive

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    A weird arse name for a weird arse game but I do suggest going right to the more stylish "FMR" for the icon and maybe listed name with the "Forget Me Not" being almost a sub-title.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Dang I want this game. Too many good things coming out and even at $1 or $2 that starts to add up!

Concept looks great!

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You mean FMN, right? I was thinking about that earlier, but the phrase "Feel My Nuts" kept entering my mind.

5. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Definitely true, but consistent (or rather, persistent) controls also take up screen real-estate which shrinks the size of the playing field.

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    As long as there's the option to mute the music but keep effects, I'm with you. Because I know I'll be playing this enough that I'll eventually tire of the music, no matter how awesome.

7. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    how do the controls work? Usually not the biggest fan of swiping in a direction on the phone

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If you have played Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man or Pac-Man C.E. and used the swipe controls, it's the same. So if you didn't like there, you probably aren't going to like it here. However, I always thought that scheme worked well and it works pretty well here too.

9. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    I agree about the first part. I've accidentally quit on several occasions--my finger strays too high on the screen and I pause/quite before I know what's happened. I would appreciate making the quit button harder to hit, and maybe adding a tiny delay between pausing and when the quit button becomes responsive...

I disagree about the second part. Shuffle mode = chaos = fun.

10. Mrs.Madgarden

Mrs.Madgarden Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    SAHM and admin. work for Madgarden
    Kitchener, Ontario
    But I don't wanna have to go make dinner! I wanna play more! *pout*
    Madgarden suggested I play this yesterday. He said I would love it. I just rolled my eyes. I kept putting it off.

Now I wish I had never started it. I'm hooked. The laundry isn't folded, the kids have wrecked my house with toys, everyones hungry and waiting for dinner and I just wanna play!!! You have ruined our house with this awesome little gem!! I've already recommend it to a couple of my mommy friends to give them an "out" from their housework too. :D

...Madgarden was right. :rolleyes: I hate when that happens.

Great Game!

11. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Your offline score won't automatically be uploaded next time you log in, but you can manually upload it any time by tapping on the bit above the main menu which shows number of flowers gathered and your top score.

Yeah sorry about that :( It's a bug, *should* work on 1st gen devices.. It'll be fixed ASAP.

I don't know anything about G5s but a mac mini will definitely do the job - might be a bit slow to use if you don't have enough RAM, but it will work. I think anything which will run the latest version of OSX will work. (you do need to have the latest OSX to use the current iOS SDK).

.. Mrs Madgarden, haha :D Thanks! And, sorry!

12. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    WUT UP blake

[​IMG]

13. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Awwsome score. Whats up btw Nyarla! another classic to one of my favorite games in the App Store. That's right Magnetic Shaving Derby. Not only did i spend countless hours on that game but i made sure i was 2nd on the leaderboards. Unfortuneatley i never made in to #1. (Dunno how he got that score. :)) But anyway when i saw this game came out i immediately took a bathroom break at my job at a Utility Company Near me (which is obviously where i work) and mashed the download button. From the title screen it instantly had me at hello. The screen (like MSD) is retroish with lots of color and a background (what looks like) randomly generated background. I started playing and oh my gosh, amazing as usual. I dunno how you do it, but Ive spent nearly 2 hours with this game as of this moment. I didn't even have the time to play Pokemon Black yet, (and im right at the Elite four also, Probably get my ass kicked anyway) but i dont even care. This game gets 5 stars and i hope it gets on the top 10. Ima leave a review for this soon as my girlfriend is calling me as i write this XD. Look, I'm not gonna go into detail about this, but as you can see from my rantish post, this game is an easy buy. Do yourself a favor, go download it and try to master this great Pac-Manish game! I love you Nyarla and that's the truth.

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    TOO HARD (throwing iphone)

Yeah, it submitted my score for accidentally quitting. Coulda been higher!

Hit the HOME button by accident with a 550k score... I think I'm out.

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I like how I'm 7th yet my score is not even close :(

16. NFG

NFG Member

I'd like to add my vote for better controls. I would enjoy this a lot more with a real d-pad (obviously), and yes onscreen ones suck, but this trace-to-move thing seems like it should work better than it does. I am utterly unable to make rapid u-turns reliably, and even right-angle turns are tricky more often than I think they should be.

I'm just guessing here, but I think perhaps the swipe interpretation code needs a larger dead zone, so that it'd react slightly later perhaps but more accurately? I don't code but if I did that's where I'd start. =)

That aside, I love the audio. I just love it. Unlike so many similarly themed games it doesn't seem to be made of effects ripped from other games, but is instead a solid attempt to mimic the good old days. <3

17. Bridget

Bridget Member

Mar 14, 2011
    #117 Bridget, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Ok, so, I have a question:

HOW exactly do I destroy the Ghost?

I managed to pop the horrible thing exactly once, and I dont know just what I did to cause this.

I notice that it has a reaction to me picking up flowers, but I couldnt tell at the time if that's what actually exploded it or not.

Also, another bug that I've now run into a few times:

There's a certain type of enemy, one of those round dudes with the big eyes, the version with what looks like little horns or spikes or something in the front, and every now and then one of them will start dashing around the maze firing and making that odd noise, right? Well, probably like, 4 times now, I've had one of them, in the middle of doing that, get stuck sorta between 2 "grid" spaces and vibrate back and forth wildly, spraying shots randomly. It only happens to those guys, and only when they're doing that particular thing.

Oh, and one OTHER question: Do you indend on making a PC version of this still? I *think* I remember seeing you mention that in your blog, but I could be wrong of course. If you do a PC version, it'll be bloody epic, that much I know.

18. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

#118 nyarla, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Yo ItouchBrett. You're crazy. In an awesome way. :D Thanks!

Glad you like the audio :) It was lots of fun making it sound like that.

Yeah, the dead zone is very small, so that you can rest your finger on the screen and move it tiny amounts to turn.. I like it like that, but perhaps I'll put in an option to change it.

Each flower you grab damages the ghost a bit, but his health regenerates over time, so you have to grab enough flowers quickly enough. Thanks for mentioning it though because I just noticed and fixed a bug which made him twice as tough as intended. Good work on managing to killi him even once! :O

Ah this isn't a bug exactly, just a deficiency in their "intelligence" :) They are following your trail. There must have been two trails both leading into each other (ie, you died right as you moved onto an older trail which was facing in the opposite direction).. so those little dudes are sniffing around trying to find where you went.

Yes! I have PC and Mac versions on the go, but they need more work yet.. eg adding joystick support and adapting the controls properly.. I can't say when those will be done, not for awhile yet - I'm working on another project for someone now with a bit of a tight deadline, gotta spend all my time on that for now..

.. hey. Does anyone on here happen to have a device still running iOS 3.1.x, and be willing to test a bugfix'd build of FMN for me? It'll only take a few minutes. I've fixed the crashing bug, but want to be 100% sure it works on hardware before submitting it. If anyone can that would be super, I really want to squash that bug. PM me your device's UDID.

(How to find the UDID: plug in device -> load iTunes -> go to device's Summary tab -> click on serial number -> it changes to show UDID -> hit ctrl-C/cmd-C to copy it to the clipboard)

[edit: VeganTnT to the rescue. Big thanks dude!]

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Played again. 680k points. Power warning came on, crashing the game.

20. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Kepa :(
    What device/os ver are you playing it on?