Universal Forget-Me-Not (by Nyarlu Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 22, 2011.

1. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for all your kind comments guys..

Doh, that shouldn't happen. On both my iPad and iPod music keeps playing.. one of my testers did have this problem on an iPhone 4 but then it stopped happening, so I figured it was fixed.. I'll look into it. Thanks for letting me know.

Hmm, ok, I'll put that on my list of things to add for a future update. I'm not really a fan of onscreen dpads unless the game is designed with an empty space for the pad..but more options is good.

I do have some more things I'd like to add, yes :) Aside from more kinds of enemies and occasional "special" levels, I'm thinking about a couple alternate game modes which will play differently.. Won't have time to add this stuff for awhile though, so for now the game is what it is..

It's sort of a hybrid of both.. it's up to you how to play :) You can attack each other or be nice and help each other in certain ways. In the end you're competing for the best score I guess.

Ok!

Sorry for taking ages to reply, my net connection is broken atm, it keeps dropping out. Looking forward to the phone line fixing man who is coming tomorrow.

Thanks again for playing F-M-N everyone! I'm stoked that you're having fun with it :)

2. BloodFidelity

BloodFidelity Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Cinematographer (Director of Photography, Camera O
    Los Angeles
    Very fun game! I look forward to future updates! But I do agree with having a D-pad of some sort or an alternate means of controlling the character.

And this may have been answered already but why does it keep a count of how many flowers you gathered? If it's just for fun, maybe it should be added as a Game Center leaderboard score.

3. ArugulaZ

ArugulaZ Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    This looks like Crosstown, an Xbox Live Indie Games title that was released about a year ago. It had a similar retro style and an ecosystem of enemies, which were as likely to completely ignore you as hunt you down mercilessly. Put eight or ten different types of enemies in the same stage and chaos erupts!

Sadly, I can't afford the game right now, but I'll be sure to pick up a copy when I can. Provided, of course, it works on legacy devices.

4. Bridget

Bridget Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Well, been waiting all month for this game to come out, after having heard about it on Indie-Game-Blog, and I gotta say, this was TOTALLY worth it. Congrats to you for putting out something as bloody awesome as this. This is everything I'd hoped it was gonna be. I play alot of indie games in general, including alot of iOS games, and this is easily one of the best I've yet played.

The game is very difficult, as it should be, and I really like the way the scoring works. Everything seems balanced out pretty well, in that aspect. Definitely an important part for me... I play alot of arcade-y games, in particular, alot of shmups, and JUST playing for survival isnt enough for me any more; I usually play for score, and that means that I wanna have a balanced, deep scoring system to work with. I think this game does have that. And I love how the key works, and how important it ends up being for defense, that was a nice touch.

And I love the various creatures that are in this. So many types, and they interact wonderfully. The game can get REALLY chaotic at times, with things going every which way, more and more monsters popping up and shooting/biting each other, and stuff randomly exploding.... I gotta say though, I just hate those square-shaped jerks that just fire a squillion bullets at anything they see. Those guys are definitely the Castlevania Birds of this particular game.

Some parts of this definitely take a little getting used to..... the controls are pretty good, but like many iOS games, can be a little twitchy at times, and takes some practice to fully get the hang of. The whole wall-friction trick also takes some practice to get to the point of being able to use it well. And I keep CONSTANTLY shooting the hell outta myself in those wraparound tunnels. You'd think I'd learn after the 50th time.

Definitely will be looking forward to any updates you might come up with. If I had to suggest something, all I can say would be.... even more creature types!

And I ran into what MIGHT have been a bug at one point; where my character suddenly started collecting non-existent fruit. Just going through an empty tunnel, and suddenly, collecting fruit that isnt there. Figured I'd point that out in case it's a bug.

5. martapp

martapp Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I only put in one game so far because I'm in work :cool:, but I took the plunge based on the feedback here. The retro-styling fits perfectly and the game is much deeper than I expected, even on the first level (lost a life shooting myself in the back).

I've struggled a little with the controls though; I think I need to play this with swipes like Jeff Minters' "Mino Rescue", rather than resting my finger on-screen. Perseverance will pay off I hope.

6. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #66 djflippy, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Wow, this is stellar on the iPad; the levels are feckin' hewg. Love it.

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Quit is easier to hit than Resume after pausing it in Portrait Mode.

Accidentally quit with a Shuffle high score because the iPhone DUHHHH LOW BATTERIES prompt came up on my laggy older device. Right over the quit prompt.

I don't like Shuffle mode much. Not sure what you're supposed to do to build up a score before you end up in an unwinnable situation.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    When I created this thread as F-M-N was downloading, I knew I was looking at something special. What I got was beyond special... This game is f***ing extraordinary and a work of art! Congrats on the front page review and all the TA love F-M-N's getting!

9. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I'm definitely getting this, but right now I need to look away as I've totally busted my game budget this month. You'll get my money dev, next month.

10. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    Total awesomesauce. Can't write more, got to get back to playing. If you don't yet have this, buy it.

11. lucrezio87

lucrezio87 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Italy
    what about the control? slide, virtual joystick, d-pad? thanks!

12. THE_BOSS

THE_BOSS Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    england
    A randomised PAC MAN CE with lasers and different enemies.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Sort of. Unlike PAC-MAN: CE, FMT is not structured around challenges. But the vibe is similar, if more retro. At the same time, the game provides the kind of gameplay depth that we expect from more contemporary titles.

BTW, I took my first gander at the leaderboards and was thoroughly humiliated.

14. THE_BOSS

Aug 1, 2010
    england
    Does it control similar to CE?

15. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Thank you all again for your comments, and for playing my little game.

Ooh cool, Crosstown looks like it's another game which is heavily inspired by Crossroads for C64 (the main inspiration for Forget-Me-Not).. wish I had an Xbox now.

Thanks for that, that's definitely a bug, which I've never come across. I'll check it out. Although.... invisible fruit. I like that.

Yeah, I use both swipes and resting my finger on the screen, at different times. Normal swipes do tend to be more accurate but get a bit tiring, and sometimes you need some extra quick turning...

Hmm, maybe I'll change the positions of Quit and Resume then.. BTW if you do quit a game before dying, you get to keep your score...

At the moment you have the top score in Shuffle mode by far :O

Shuffle is pretty much like FMN's equivalent of a hard difficulty mode I guess.. It's just there for if you want a quicker, more exciting game.

Yep. I based the controls on CE's "Pointer-finger swipe" control scheme, which I really like.. works very similarly.

16. THE_BOSS

Aug 1, 2010
    england
    Ah, the one thing that kept me from buying this was that I wasn't sure how it would control! Will buy now I know it controls like CE.

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost to make a game like this? I am only 14 but I am thinking of trying out IOS development. What sort of development tools do you need and do you need a very high end computer?

Thanks in advance :)

17. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    This game is great! :D Played multi-player with my friend, its pretty hard not to kill each other!

One thing tho, It would be nice to have different colored whatever it is for both players cause it gets very confusing sometimes! Otherwise its really fun and challenging.

Any kind of alternative control scheme will be welcome. Or atleast you could add a fading trace line for your inputs?~ So we know what was registered! it would look pretty with the grphx too :D

And PLEASE don't change the App icon!! i LOVE it :D The shiny icon is nice :D If you do , unfortunately, decide to change it :( please do mention it in changelog! i won't update until its something major!

18. Doffie

Doffie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Retired, now concentrating on good works and good
    Storrs, CT
    Ha, here's a third vote for a soundtrack. And an umpteenth set of kudos for an extremely fun game.

And this from someone who helplessly falls in love with games that are heavy on beautiful, modern graphics.

Easy to get hooked. Easy to trust the regular TA posters and reviewers, too. Thanks, guys.

19. PixyJunket

PixyJunket Well-Known Member

It was mentioned on the first or second page, but I'll put another vote in if the developer is actively listening.. these types of games HAVE to keep their pixel aesthetics in mind for retina displays and Apple's utterly ridiculous decision to apply blurry bi-linear filtering to low-res apps.

I used to have a link to a dev forum discussion on how to correct this, but I can't seem to remember what I Googled to get there, argh. I'll try to find it again.

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #80 metalcasket, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    You know what? Here's a fourth vote for a soundtrack. ;)

I agree with MidianGTX that the icon should lose the shine (sorry Coldcoffee :() but I'm also sticking by my "app would look great renamed to F-M-N" thing. Everyone has their own preference/opinion, but ultimately it's up to nyarla to decide what does/doesn't happen to the app.