Universal Forever Lost ( by Glitch Games )

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by GlitchGames, Oct 1, 2012.

1. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Just finished this. Took between 3 and 4 hours, which seems about right for a £1.99 (before the current sale) point and click game. It's very atmospheric.

I love the addition of the camera - you can take photos of a scene, then make notes on the photos. I wish all point and click games had this feature!

I saw on one of the reviews in the App Store someone complaining that the game was non-linear, that you move back and forth between different puzzles, but I think that's a good feature not a bad one.

The touch/gesture controls are implemented very well. They are used sparingly, eg most of the time you just need to tap stuff with one finger, but a few puzzles you have use different gestures. Like the 148Apps review linked to earlier says:
    "It’s never to the point of being over the top, instead, it feels intuitive and natural."

I'm looking forward to the sequel!

2. shawnbuddy

shawnbuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2012
    #102 shawnbuddy, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    I just do not get what I'm doing wrong on the puzzle with the clocks.

I tried the obvious thing of setting both clocks to the same time. Then spent a couple of hours trying every permutation I can think of including trying all references to time in the game and counting the legs of the critters and putting too much emphasis on the words "straight forward" in the clue, then gave up and looked at the hint, only to find that the first, very obvious thing is supposedly the solution. But it doesn't work for me.

Anyone have any idea why not?

Update: Apparently it was just a glitch. I reset the game, played through it again, and it worked the way it was supposed to. I was able to finish the rest with no problems. Cool game overall, looking forward to the next one.

3. GlitchGames

GlitchGames Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Thank you so much! Really happy to see that you liked it :) We're really proud of the camera feature, it just seems amazing that no one has done it before.

We know of that review, glad to see that other people don't agree with him :)

Assuming people like the more touch/swipe like gestures we are going to be putting more in for ep2, still not forcing them in just only using them if they are right for that particular puzzle.

Really sorry about that issue, a workaround has just been posted on our site here.

Glad you liked the game, despite the annoying bug! If you get a chance please consider leaving a rating on the store ;-)

4. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Well, it took me a minute, buuuut...

First, thanks for the code.

Second, I won't be needing one for Episode 2. I'll be paying for that one.

I want to post complete impressions, but I'm having a hard time because I do not want to spoil anything for anyone.

I think I will leave it at this:

For anyone who thinks they've played 100s of these games, you have not played many (if any) that were this well done.

The flow of gameplay, the puzzles, the pieces to the puzzles, the BGM (music), the camera, the lighting, the very aura of the game... just really, really well done.

I wish I could explain the perfection of the puzzle element of this game... I guess I can say this. Nothing is given to you easily, but everything has a logic to it that really leads you to the answer. So many of these games are either too easy or too difficult. This one really nails the challenge curve in a way I hadn't previously seen on this level.

I want to post about the moments where I smiled, or actually said, "Oh man, that is a nice touch" out loud, but I don't want to ruin anything...

tl;dr: Get this. Seriously.

DBC

5. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Seriously, we can't explain how great a feeling it is to know how much people are loving the game. We were worried as we've been playing and looking at it for so long now it's hard to judge it.

All the positive feedback we've been getting ( and the majority of all feedback so far has been very positive ) really makes us happy :)

I'm really glad to hear you noticed the little things we added as well :)

I'm probably sounding like a stuck record when I say this but if possible could you consider leaving a rating on the store as it really helps people find the game. Just putting what you wrote here would be great :)

6. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Very happy to say that Forever Lost has been shortlisted for two categories in the TIGA awards - http://awards.tiga.org/awards_categories.php

Action / Adventure
    Game Design

Would be awesome to win but naturally we are just happy to be shortlisted :)

7. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Congratulations and well deserved. Hopefully you take home at least one of the awards!

8. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Thanks! We've got our fingers crossed :)

9. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    For anyone experiencing the annoying Clock Puzzle Bug we are currently uploading v1.2 to Apple that will fix this. Hopefully Apple will approve it sooner rather than later.

10. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Bought this a couple of weeks back and just got round to playing it. Really impressed, great atmosphere and some nice subtle references to enjoy, I loved the Community one in particular.

Good to play a game that feels British too, it just feels right for the genre.

11. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Thank you! Glad to see you spotted some of the more obscure references, we love little things like that so expect more in episode 2 :)

Weirdly in the UK there is going to be a tax break type thing for games companies coming next year and one of the stipulations is that the games must pass some form of as-yet-undecided "cultural test" to make sure that they are in fact British. Good to know ours might just pass that test :)

12. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    I simply do not seem able to get past the "turn both keys at the same time" problem, I've set the clocks to a variety of identical times but every time it says they are not at the same time.

13. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Any idea on when episode 2 might be released? I loved episode 1 and can't wait!! :)

14. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Really sorry you have hit that bug, sadly once you have hit it you will be unable to solve the puzzle at all. We have a new version waiting for review with Apple that will both fix the issue for people who have already hit it and stop anyone else from ever hitting it. Sadly all we can do now is wait for Apple to give us the green light :-(

15. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    We're working on it as we speak :) the first episode took around 8 months to make but that was also used to develop the framework and come up with the story etc. the new episode should be quicker to develop, we're hoping for around 4 to 5 months but please don't quote me on that :) basically we want it out as soon as possible but we don't want to rush it.

16. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I think that's a great plan. As much as I'd love to see the sequel out next week, you've got a great thing going and I'd hate to see it get messed up just because you felt you had to rush it.

17. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    That's exactly what we're thinking. Plus we're selfish, we had so much fun making episode 1 we want to continue having fun by making episode 2 and don't want the fun to be over too soon :)

18. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Any chance this will get updated to support the iPhone 5 screen dimensions?

Jamie

19. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK
    Hopefully :) it will require re-renders of everything which will take a while but hopefully it will happen. Episode 2 will be iPhone 5 friendly from the get go.

20. GlitchGames

Feb 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Oxford, UK