Universal Foregone (by Big Blue Bubble)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Dec 17, 2021.

1. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    I'm a bit confused now. Is it a roughlike or not? Also was Metroidvania of the month 11/2020 on some gaming site, but no one in here mentioned the M-word so far, sooo ... I'm probably going to get this anyway, but would love to hear what it is / how it plays.

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

When I first read MCs post I thought he meant “this looks great but I’m done with roguelikes” but I think he meant he was on board with this one as it’s not “get as far as you can, collect as much stuff as possible, die, rinse and repeat”.

What I’ve learned is that this is totally different. When you die, you keep your level progress and can continue with all collected items, just like a “normal” action adventure. The only real difference is that when you die mid-run, you can either get back half of your stuff (from that run - you still have everything you collected before that) or try to make it to where you died, at which point you can collect all your items and gold that was lost.

I can see where someone might call it a metroidvania, but there aren’t many branching paths. There are unreachable secrets in all the levels that you can go back to later when you have the necessary upgrades/equipment. That’s the part that’s like a metroidvania.

It’s a beautiful game in all aspects and I think you’d be happy with your purchase if you do decide to give it a go.

metalcasket, ColeDaddy and #Bonk3rZ like this.
  3. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Sounds like my cup of tea, will definitely find out later today. Thank you for taking your time, that cleared up a lot.

ColeDaddy and Anotherkellydown like this.
  4. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    #24 #Bonk3rZ, Dec 21, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Ok, I'm giving up lol. Where is that one beast hiding in the first mission?!? :mad:

And hand on heart, who else is missing that downward smash so badly ... :rolleyes: ;)

Edit: somehow I made it. I swear I had one threat remaining like four times in a row, hence my assumption someone's hiding neatly with a malicious grin on his face. I could have sworn it was the same this time, but when hastily running back I reached the starting point where I realised that my time wasn't running up anymore. Weird. Or a Christmas miracle ... ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I’m loving this game. Beat some robot kinda end of level baddie finally.

Now can go to a new area. game seems pretty huge with the missions. On the third one now. Love it

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Welp, I have no need to reply, but haha, I can see where my wording could have been confusing.

Just met (and defeated) Project Hera. To quote Kano from the latest Mortal Kombat movie, “What a ****in’ beauty”.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  7. Anotherkellydown

I’m right there with ya man. Totally noticed that! Haha

It sounds like you’re talking about the side quests. I had trouble with those at first, too, because I was trying to get through it as fast as possible. Once I figured out you have to beat every enemy I just took a normal pace and played as if there was no timer. Then it worked out. Of course you have to try to collect the stopwatches if they drop out of sight. There is also a gauntlet mode and others I believe, but the main game is where the real fun is at, in my opinion. :)

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Tecton? More like TecDONE!

(I love this game)

9. Anotherkellydown

Dang! Did you beat it? I’ve been distracted by other games the last couple days. Definitely putting a lot of time in over the holiday break.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, no! Just beat another mini-boss.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  11. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world

Sorry, bad day yesterday, hence the late answer. But yeah, you're right, these are the missions I was talking about. And they might become important later for after finishing one of these you get the chance to change the perks of your favorite gear.

(To everyone who wasn't there yet you might want to read this.)

After you've finished the mission (successfully) you'll meet a guy who, for a price, offers you to change the perks of every weapon or gear you own. You choose something, say your weapon, and he will offer you 3 weapons of the exact same kind and with the same stats, but different perks, eg +x% health or +x% dot resistance. You can choose any of these three or you can choose to stick with what you already had, BUT you have to pay either way!

And these costs add up in each mission separately. The first is free, second costs 25, 3rd 50 and so on. If you are there, you can immediately have another go (for the new price of course). But if you want to come back later, you have to (successfully) finish the mission again. (Bad dev! :mad: :p) Which is an important point, since the missions seem to get significantly more difficult, (comparing 1 and 3).

So you might not want to waste the first six cheap upgrades like me. I was nosy what might come up, but in all cases kept my original gear. And if I want to have another three cheap go's I'll have to successfully finish mission 3 first.

Maybe this helps someone. Have a nice Christmas everybody!

12. Anotherkellydown

13. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Ha! Now I got it! (Golden stuff now :))

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This has been my lazy Christmas Day game — loving it.

15. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Ha! (2nd)

(quite harmless spoiler, just a new skill and how / where to get)

got ground shock now ;):cool::p

Project Demeter? More like Project DemeDone!

sorry :rolleyes:

16. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    This game is fantastic. What a perfect mobile game. I love the roguelike but still have a level build. Very forgiving yet fun. Not too hard only fixed a few times. Except the main boss. He’s hard lol. Love the weapons. Don’t waste all that money on gold one. Got better coming. But there is always so much gold. You are always upgrading and getting stronger. Love this game. Haven’t been on here in a long time. But a game like this deserves its praise. Total blast to play. Now on yo the missions. I just couldn’t stop playing story. I did a couple missions. But I need to finish them. For anyone on the fence this is fantastic. Yes it takes influence from dead cells. But makes a much easier game to jump in to. Think it has a nice home on mobile. For Xbox I could see it light on weapons and stuff. But for mobile this is exactly what I want. Great game. Game of the year contender for sure.

squarezero likes this.
  17. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    How does this game have only 4 (FOUR!) ratings?? I think the dev could use some help in that regard.

I am only now buying it (based on this crew, as always), but will be sure to do so after I've gotten a chance to play.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the reminder — just submitted my review.

houseofg likes this.
  19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep added a review to the U.K. store

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I was waiting for this post. :)