Universal Forager (by HopFrog/Humble Bundle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 6, 2020.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @zenmode excellent advice, thanks! I’m currently 4 hours in - level 21. I unlocked pet that is collecting stuff for me, but I assume you’re talking about something else. I don’t think I purchased land on the right yet. I went opposite direction (lucky me). I guess I should’ve looked for some beginners guide to avoid mistakes, but I’m just enjoying figuring things out for myself. Mostly.;)

I’d like to pick up your brain a little though. How do I increase my hearts? I’m still on 3 and it feels limited. At least I’m hoping I can get more.

2. basti107

basti107 New Member

Jun 3, 2016
    The game is worth the price. Let downs for me are: Heavy battery drain (new iPhone 11 with iOS 14.2) and the lack of cloud save support.

3. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Eventually you will purchase an island with pile of skulls. Once you dig up the pile, a mini boss will spawn. Beating the boss drops an item that can increase your stats of your choosing, including health.

4. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    The only thing I'm finding annoying so far is that every time I die it goes back to the startup screen.

5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Jstorm I upgraded one of my skills and got two orbs with 4 choices for upgrading stats. So I guess that's the way to do it.

Are you familiar with the game? I'd like to know which skills I should focus on that are essential to progress further. There's a lot of options so I don't wanna unlock something pointless I couldn't take advantage of in the beginning (like required materials for crafting I couldn't possibly get my hands on yet).

Also, if I die, it's game over? No second chance, no safe net? All the progress lost?

6. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    macplash likes this.
  7. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    I want to give this a go. How are the touchscreen controls?

8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @PBSNellie I’ll take a look.. What I found in the meantime was that if I capture that gold fairy in the bottle, it’ll save me by refilling my health (3 stars) immediately when I’m about to die. So I went on a hunt and caught like 10 of them just to be safe.;) But I’m curious about consequences of dying anyway, so I hope I don’t have to read through everything there just to find my answers.

@Stag as I wrote already, I’d like to have an option to tap to move, plus some auto hit option of some sort. Just multiple options in the menu like in Stardew Valley. Right now it’s virtual joystick on the left for movement, action and use buttons on the right. Works fine, but more options would be appreciated.

Now, I don’t know if it’s a sale to promote iOS version or something else, but I got it on Steam as a SPECIAL PROMOTION that ends in less than 24 hours. It’s currently on 40% sale for 11,99€ so I obviously bought it. What I wanted to ask is: I’ve played for less than an hour and a huge gold star fell from the sky like 4 times during that period. I collected 6 or 7 pieces of this fallen star. Have no idea what’s it for yet, but that didn’t happen even once on iOS and I got like 8 hours on iPad since yesterday. So what’s up with that?

9. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oh, I did not see your prior post....appreciate it though.

10. atko92

atko92 Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Male
    EV Industry
    England, UK
    In regards to the fallen star, I've looked and there's a "Nuclear update" which is on PC and all consoles, I believe, and this is what the star is from. Doesn't seem this update is part of the initial release for iOS

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @atko92 I just checked on Reddit and there was a question how far along is the newly released iOS version in comparison to PC version and community manager answered it’s the same. It allegedly has all the updates that PC version had previously. So if that’s true, I’m still confused about the fallen star. I’ve played another hour or so on Steam and got 3 more stars fell from the sky. Btw, control-wise it’s a huge difference. Keyboard and mouse combo is obviously a way to play and it’s been designed to benefit this control scheme. It supports controllers but it’s not as comfortable. Touch controls has its limitations but it’s definitely playable. Which I cannot say about Terraria on iPad. It plays terrible. In Forager once you equip a bow (with quiver that doesn’t consume arrows) it basically becomes dual stick shooter.;) I barely use my pickaxe anymore.

Gambler likes this.
  12. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I heard about the bow and quiver which sounds good but I’m not really sure the games for me. I can’t really explain what it is but after a busy day I just managed to grab an hour to chill and play a game and I loaded this up and played for my first bit of gaming today and honestly I didn’t find it relaxing or fun.

I think if a game doesn’t feel fun then there’s little point in playing it.

13. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA

Trust me. I've died so many times that I got an award for it. But my progression has not been affected and everything lands the same when you go back in. I actually learned a lot about the gameplay by dying. Who knew?

14. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @PBSNellie so how does it look like when you die? Because I don’t wanna jeopardize my save file since I can’t make a copy of it. I saw a video when the guy got hit by some laser shooting thing and there was just GAME OVER screen and return to menu. When he loaded his latest save file, he just appeared right in front of that thing shooting him again immediately after spawning and died. So that’s what got me worried.

@ste86uk you’re absolutely right. If it doesn’t feel like fun there’s no point in playing it. For me it just hit all the right spots. It’s exactly right up my alley. I’m mining, collecting, hoarding stuff (got like 2 achievements for being a big hoarder already, lol) and I really like the visual style and everything. It’s not as chilling as Stardew Valley. It’s more like Terraria - action packed with lots of stuff happening on screen. Also there are puzzles to solve and that’s something I like as well. It’s not as story driven as Crashlands. It’s more of an exploration and crafting. It resembles Zelda on Switch too. Kinda unique combination.

15. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    This is my first time playing the game. I just purchased the island with player upgrades right before I saw your post. I also found the item on traveling merchant as well for 1.5k each.

As of tech path, I think magic crafting(potions, scrolls) can wait until later due to items required are from later stage of the game.

Also I don’t find combat tech really necessary for early stage. Combat is not so hard without any upgrades.

macplash likes this.
  16. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    @macplash, yes, when I died it took me back to the startup screen and main menu (I wish it would just skip the startup screen). But since I knew where I left off, I was prepared to ditch the mobs so I could get my bearings and get ready to fight again. I figured out how to beat the green jellies (don't let them land on you-just get next to them and start hitting them) and I was able to do this and continue to progress in the game. I also beat the boar on another island using the zip in and out of range tactic. I'm usually pretty bad at this so I'm kind of proud of myself for figuring it out.

macplash likes this.
  17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @PBSNellie @Jstorm thanks guys! With perk that shows an arrow pointing at location of secret traveling merchant I bought like 8 crystal orbs from him. Looks like 6 hearts is the max as well as stamina bar because it just isn’t an option for me anymore. From 4 previous choices before there are just 2 left.
    And I bought a few fallen stars fragments (I can use for crafting a crystal orb) although still no star falling from the sky for me. In Steam version they’re falling like crazy, pretty much every night. I just don’t get it. Anyway, with fairies caught in the bottle as a revive option I’m not worried about dying at this point. This game’s getting better the more I play.;)

—-

Attached Files:

18. Dema9o9uehutq

Dema9o9uehutq Member

Mar 28, 2019
    Male
    This game is hands down my new favorite. This is all I want to play right now. My only complaint is how difficult it is to place small objects like walls and doors etc. and how easy it is to accidentally destroy things you've built especially water bridges. I think they should change the building mechanics a bit and not allow the pickaxe to destroy structures so easily.

19. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Hey guys can anyone tell me where the "rewards" go for reaching a goal? I can see where I got them in Feats but do they do anything?

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @PBSNellie yeah, those are cosmetics. If you unlocked a land with huge tree (and you should - it’s like 2nd or 3rd one), just go inside said tree and you can customize your character’s appearance by tapping on the closet. The more rewards the more customizable options.;)