For anyone considering 1password... think hard

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by hkiphone, Apr 15, 2009.

1. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    1Password is a free app on app store, but regrettably, in order to make the full use of it, you have to buy the US$40 full desktop app to sync with. Mac-only.
    Which didn't seem like a bad idea at the time, given that at the early stages of the app store, the password-keeping apps were all new, or didn't have proper safeguards or some other reasons that I didn't feel I could trust it properly. So I went with these guys at agilesolutions.com since the desktop app had been raved about previously in magazine reviews.
    At first, it was great, lovely interface on both native app and desktop, and the sync was simple enough.
    Then I realised that there was one crucial thing missing from the native app: inability to edit "wallet" items (these include credit card details, passports, anything other than web logins or note taking data). I thought it was just something on their to-do list as they had claimed that the app took alot of effort and they needed a rest, so thats cool, gave them some slack. FOUR MONTHS ON, they still haven't implemented it yet, but were damn proud to announce they released THREE new updates to the desktop app! When I asked on their forum, they just replied that there's no new status regarding this.
    So why do I consider editing Wallet items so important? Well I might have just run off to the airport having just received a new credit card and need to imput that into 1password. OR a replacement and update the CCV number. Or realise that my passport wasn't updated. Pretty useless if you did have those items stolen from your real wallet (like what happened to me in Barcelona last year!) and needed to call those hotlines to cancel, or refer to the numbers for online booking of emergency flights etc.
    Such a shame that they just didn't care about that. In fact, there haven't been any updates to the native app at all... probably because they consider it free, but really it kills me that I took the bait and paid $40 for the desktop app. What I sucker I am..... :(

2. rixm

rixm Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Can understand functionality missing from a app being frustrating (I wish I could say I haven't encountered this with way too many shareware apps mac & pc, gawd I've probably got 100's of dollars in dead end shareware lying around.)

So if I've read it correctly the rest of the app is performing well? (and for the price it's a very full featured app imo)

And no-one from the developer team made any promise to you that editing/adding wallet items would be coming soon? (which would stink if they had said it was coming soon and you're still waiting for it after months)

Maybe as a work around you could enter wallet type data as a login on the iPhone (perhaps prefixed with "WAL-Whatever this item is about" then when next you sync with the mac, convert them to wallet items??

Best of luck.

3. Xyzl

Xyzl Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I have to say that I'm a fan of 1Password. I use it on a daily basis on my Mac (which I consider as my master source).

My work flow is to always enter/edit my data on the Mac, so that I know it will be automatically backed up by my time machine. Then sync it to my iPhone.

I typically don't do it the other way around (e.g. edit on iPhone first) because I sometimes don't sync up my iPhone for weeks at a time. And I wouldn't want to lose data if I dropped or lost my Iphone.

So overall, I haven't had any problems with 1Password on the iPhone. I actually hadn't even noticed the missing capability that you were describing. I think it's a great iPhone app for a pretty amazing price. (free)