Football Heroes - (Run Games LLC)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MMarzola, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMarzola

MMarzola Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Apology

So sorry about the lack of communication. The Kickstarter campaign really took the wind out of my sails. We have been hard at work, and some exciting news for Football Heroes will be coming soon. We promised the best competitive Football game on a mobile device and that is exactly what we are going to deliver. This means that we have decided that the game could benefit from additional development time, and we will not be releasing the game this year. The sheer scope of the game with the addition of online play has created a lot more work for us and we are in the process of expanding the Run Games team. We'd rather release a great product than rush it to market, and you all will help make that happen.

Thanks for patience and your interest in Football Heroes. And I will be updating more regularly.

2. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Great news, thank you.

3. cards538

cards538 Member

Oct 6, 2012
    This sounds like a great game. Combining two of my loves, RPGs and sports sounds like a great idea. Can't wait for the release

4. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    We are really excited too! I am working on a Spinning Lariat animation (like Zangief from Street Fighter) right now.

Cant wait to test this move in the game. Watch out fools, here comes spinning fists!

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #65 undeadcow, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    Wow... I just stumbled on Football Heroes and am pumped; this looks very promising. Any release updates?

Edit: Checked game's main page but I don't see much that looks new.

6. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Undeadcow, we are really excited too. We just had a major breakthrough on the project and we are getting close to a pre-alpha build that we will sharing with the Kickstarter community (hopefully before the end of the February). A lot more details will be available once testers get their hands on the game and start sharing their impressions.

We also have a HUGE company related announcement that will released to the press soon. Exciting times for Football Heroes and Run Games!!!

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thank you for the update; please share more information as it comes along.

8. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Kickstarter Pre-Alpha Testflight Playtest!!!

Hey TA!

We have just sent out a Testflight invite to people who pledged at the "BETA TESTER" level or above on the Kickstarter campaign. We are really excited to have Touch Arcade members gain early access to the PRE-ALPHA version of Football Heroes. We know that the TA community is the best around and look forward to interacting with you directly. If you have any questions or comments please contact me here or on our forums Run Games Forums.

Thank You

9. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    looking forward to hearing from some of the TA members about what they think!

10. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Playtest is going well

Late last night we sent out the very first playtest build of Football Heroes and it was a success; several testers have already logged in multiple hours and the response has been incredible. If anybody here on Touch Arcade has played the game, and wants to discuss it here, I am available :)

11. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Football Heroes @GDC who wants to play?

I will be at GDC with a build of Football Heroes. If anybody would like to meet up and play the Pre-Alpha version of the game, hit me up on Twitter @mmarzola and we can meet up. Would love to hear your impressions

12. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Showed Brad and Eli Football Heroes today @GDC and had a blast. And Brad kicked the Cuddletown Kittens butt with his personalized team the 69ers. There should be coverage of a live demo going up on the site before the end of day. SO EXCITED!!!

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm really looking forward to Football Heroes; good news about increased coverage.

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looking good!

15. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I enjoyed that video. Your passion for Football Heroes shines through during the demo with Brad and Eli. I have a few questions:

(1) When will the iPad build be ready for your Kickstarter Beta Testers? Soon, I hope :)

(2) Will the next build feature the new and improved graphics? That screenshot looked better than what was in the video, because the new artwork looks a little more "expressive" than the old style.

(3) Will you offer on-screen d-pad and buttons as an alternative control scheme? I'm open to giving your controls a shot, but I generally prefer on-screen buttons to "tap-n-swipe" controls.

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to get my hands on this game :)

16. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for your kind words glad you enjoyed the hands on demo

1 - The iPad version should be sent out in the next couple of weeks. Will update here with a firm date shortly.

2 - we are really excited about the new art style but there are a lot of animations in the game, so the process will be steady but a long one

3 - we believe that our current control scheme functions the same as a virtual stick and buttons scheme. To explain if you place your thumb in bottom left corner and touch down you will create a virtual analog stick. If you the place your other thumb in the bottom right, and tap you create a virtual button to punch. Tackling/Spinning are directional based and require a swipe which you can do with either thumb. Supporting multi-touch in this way allows you achieve the same feel of virtual sticks and buttons without the restrictions of where you can touch. Does that makes sense?

17. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Nice! I'll be waiting patiently for the iPad build :) As for the control scheme, I get it and it sounds good! TouchArcade did compliment the controls so I'm sure they're a non-issue. I'd just hate to see you and your team scramble to push an update post-release adding on-screen controls due to complaints. Might as well provide some different control options to suit different users' preferences. What's the harm?

I have a feeling this game is going to be a hit. There is a huge void in the arcade football genre (regardless of platform) and if you guys nail this release, your game could be the "Angry Birds" of arcade football. Those are the stakes :)

18. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    looks cool.... hope this isn't going to be a free game with iaps!

can't wait...due in fall of 2013?

19. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    #79 MMarzola, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    This will be a free app. No paywalls, no wait to play!

Free MP - online and wifi
    Free SP - cups and teams

We have been very inspired by the League of Legends f2p model, and we just want everyone to be able to play Football Heroes. We think the best way to do this is to be Free.

20. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If the game is launching free "without paywalls" how are the developers expecting to make a profit? Is the successful kickstarter the only revenue expected?