Universal Football Heroes 2015 (by Run Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 7, 2013.

1. RedHoodedSinner

RedHoodedSinner Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2014
    #1221 RedHoodedSinner, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    I don't really pay attention on the rate of gold players per advance packs. But it is not super rare. Especially the 1star gold. I think the 2-stars and 3-stars are rarer. Have yet to get a 3 stars gold though. Would kill for a Bionic qb. :D

What I can tell you is that, I found it to be a better method of obtaining gold cards. I have yet to see any gold cards in my draft but I have obtained some gold cards by buying advance packs. Besides, fhis pack is cheap enough and you need back ups to replace your retiring cards.

Update: I have got 4 new gold cards (3 1-star & 1 2-star). Have been doing this for 2.5 weeks. I think in average I bought 3 packs a day.

2. tak437

tak437 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009

Ha, just bought a pack and got a gold DL "crusher". First one in a pack for me. Bought around 5-6 packs overall.

3. MMarzola

MMarzola Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    That is something we definitely something we want to do.

But I would like to make it more active like play a Game everyday and not just loading up the game.

Great idea though

4. Karl Schmidt

Karl Schmidt Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Which are the max level, can reach silver and golden players (before retirement)?

5. davegobe

davegobe Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Chemist
    Cleveland, OH
    From what I've seen so far, it depends on the position as well. Here's my list:

The Bull (DL) - Silver 3 - max level 11
    Rocketman Fire (FS) - Gold 1 - max level 9
    Dr. Claw (LB) - Silver 2 - max level 9
    Perfect Hands (WR) - Gold 2 - max level 9

Once they hit mx level, you still have a few games before they officially retire. I usually sell them when they have one game left to get more coins.

6. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    That is correct, each player has a different level cap. We trying to put together a Wiki-page that will have every player cards and their stats (including Max Level Cap). This will eventually be accessible within the game.

7. Coolice

Coolice Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Idea to make RUN games and players happy -- I hope. :)

How about this idea?
    Instead of retiring players which took lots efforts and time for us to build, have a rest system.
    After each player plays X games, if players play game, his skill set rating will start to go down Y % per game.

For example,
    if X games = 5,
    Y % = 2 %
    After QB AAA plays 5 games, each game there after QB AAA plays, he looses 2 % of his rating per game.
    And each game he rest on the bench, gain back equal amount.

This way, we keep players we want at max level or close to it to make us happy.
    And to make RUN games happy since we need to play other players.

What happens to our main player if we do not have bench player in same position? well his skill rating keep goes down to hmm, may be 50% until he get rested? Meaning you better get his replacement fast.

What do you think?

8. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2013
    ^ great idea, prefer it to getting a card that gets a player off retirement but starts him at level 1, instead of where you leveled him too. theres still the investing (buying) of other players to rest your star player and making players of the game happy about not losing the players they built up. seems like a win win.

9. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Lots of good ideas in there! Very well thought out and one that we have explored a bit in the office for the last couple of days.

My only complaint about this solution is would create a lite-timer that the player would have to manage that would lead to either solving problem by waiting until their star player is fully recovered before playing the game or using a consumable item such as an energy drinks circumvent waiting for your player to recover. Also this could create a decent bit of roster micromanagement that may get a bit overwhelming.

One concept that has been picking up some steam around the office is the concept of removing retirement all together and replacing it with a Contract system. Here is a very high-level description of the system:

Contract System

- When you get a new player they are under contract for X number of games. In this example they have a 100 Game Contract
    - Every time the player plays a game, that player has one less game on their contract
    - When the player buys Deck of cards from the shop, sometimes CONTRACT EXTENSION cards will drop out of decks that will allow players to extend their favorite players contracts. +50 GAMES, +10 GAMES, so on etc. that can be applied to your player of choice
    - When a player reaches 0 games on their contract you are given the option to RESIGN that player for Hero Coins, EXTEND CONTRACT using the contract items above or RELEASE the player and sub in a new player at that position.

The reason we are leaning towards this solution is that it separates the LEVELING system, which should be something aspirational and cool from the CONTRACT system which is something to manage and challenging to deal with.

What do you think of this?

10. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Guys, I didn't follow the tutorial, how do you make a pass ?

11. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Simply call a PASS play, hike the ball by tapping anywhere on the screen, then tap on flashing receiver.

Let me know if that works for you.

12. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I am not familiar with American Football, can I always pass or only when my quarterback gets back the ball from a pass.

When there is the run icon above a player I cannot pass

13. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    You can pass the ball in Football Heroes under the following circumstances:

- Select any PASS play type from the playbook (Tap the PASS button at the bottom of the playselect screen)
    - Tap to HIKE the ball to your QB
    - The QB can now throw the ball to any flashing receiver on their team by tapping on that receiver (HOLD for Charge Pass PERK)
    - The QB cannot throw the ball after he has crossed the line of scrimmage (where the ball was snapped from at the start of the play)

This is an NFL rule. I wonder what Football Heroes would be like without this rule?

14. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Retirement system replaced by CONTRACTS

Nobody responded so I am going to post this again:

At Run Games we are considering removing the retirement system all together and replacing it with a Contract system. Here is a very high-level description of the system:

Contract System

- When you get a new player they are under contract for X number of games. In this example they have a 100 Game Contract
    - Every time the player plays a game, that player has one less game on their contract
    - When the player buys Deck of cards from the shop, sometimes CONTRACT EXTENSION cards will drop out of decks that will allow players to extend their favorite players contracts. +50 GAMES, +10 GAMES, so on etc. that can be applied to your player of choice
    - When a player reaches 0 games on their contract you are given the option to RESIGN that player for Hero Coins, EXTEND CONTRACT using the contract items above or RELEASE the player and sub in a new player at that position.

The reason we are leaning towards this solution is that it separates the LEVELING system, which should be something aspirational and cool from the CONTRACT system which is something to manage and challenging to deal with.

What do you think of this? Looking for feedback, thank you

15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I think it's a pretty good alternative. The only thing I want to know is how much it will cost for extensions? If it's too big, it's obvious that not many will like it.

To add to that, how about making multiple different terms for contract selections (like in real life). So in this game, if you pick a longer one, it'll be more expensive but cheaper in the long run. So kind of like IAP where you get bonuses for buying the pricier ones. However I hope the prices are affordable as money isn't necessarily dropping from the sky in this game.

16. tak437

tak437 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I don't like managing contracts, it's annoying, but I can see it being okay....if contracts are somewhat easy to obtain and you don't nickel and dime us with tiny 5/10/20 game contract cards that require us always take action on constant retiring players. Thats just annoying. I'm guessing the majority of your customers, aside from playing a cool arcade style football, are playing because they like to obtain better cards and level them up, not to play general manager simulator of a football team.

What about sudden death? Would those count, because that would stink.

What if I don't have the coins to re-sign at the moment and don't have a contract card at the moment or retirement? Will you force me to release him? That would stink.

If we re-sign for hero coins, that wouldn't be the full cost of the player, right? It would be at a discount?

Why would we release a player when we can just sell him for coins? Or is that the same thing?

17. Coolice

Coolice Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    I do not like contract also.
    What happens your contract gets expired and you have no player to sub nor no money nor no special card?

Also isn't this contradicting what your reason for retiring players?
    I though reason you went with retiring players is to want us to play with many different players.
    But now let us have ability to extend contract, no reason for us to buy new players now. right?

Just my $0.02.

18. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think it's a great and by far superior alternative to the retirement system!

If I understand this correctly, there won't really be an option to BUY extensions outright. We have to find those extensions in decks, right? This retains some of the spirit of your initial motivation for the retirement system (to motivate users to go through many different players, and not just maximize their favourites and be done with it, if I understood it correctly), and adds some randomization. A nice touch, I think, and better than allowing us to simply buy extensions. We'll be replacing players semi-regularly (and be reimbursed with hero coins while we do it), but also given the chance to hang on to some rare few top players.

19. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Answers to Contract Feedback

Great Feedback everybody, please keep it coming!

Some Answers (please let me know if I miss something)

- Contract Extensions cannot be purchased directly. The only way to acquire contracts is to buy Decks of Cards and Contract Extensions will be randomly found in decks
    - Contract Extensions will come in a variety of different games +10, 20, 50, 100, etc. Once you have a contract you can extend a players contract at any time.
    - When you RESIGN a player it will cost the price of purchasing that same player in the Free Agency. When you resign a player he will get a fresh full contract (ie- 100 games) and will keep his current level and all his abilities.
    - Based on your feedback we have changed RELEASE to SELL. And you will get full cost of Selling your player when his contract expires
    - The number of Games a player has in his contract will be standardized based on their Quality (Bronze, Silver and Gold) and Position

Purpose of this change from Retirement to the Contract system is to give you the options:
    - Do I want to Resign this player for another full contract?
    - Do I want to extend my star players contract for a couple of games while I look for a replacement player by buying decks
    - Or do I want to sell this player and get the cash and use one of my bench players

The retirement system gives you no warning or options when it happens

20. tak437

tak437 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Not really a fan of any of this. Sorry. 10 game contracts? Thats like 20 minutes worth of sudden death games. Would SD games even count? Full price to resign a player? It will take almost 100 games played to keep just that one player.