Universal follow.trail (by Gregory Pykacz)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rajieru, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Qvothe1331

Qvothe1331 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Spent hours last night on lvl 47 before passing out. Working complex paths across the board, undoing, and repaving until I got one square away from success but couldn't reach it. Didn't wanna restart the level cause I kept thinking I was close and didn't wanna lose all my positioning. I would call it progress but it wasn't progress.
    Woke up early and decided to start fresh. Found a working path within minutes. I was pretty happy.

2. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    What is the difference between the white and the black sunsymbol (for example in level 4.7) and if there is no difference, why didn't the dev use only one style for this symbol?

3. rajieru

rajieru Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Fresh brain always helps! ;)

Each special type of tile works the same way when you step on it. It doesn't matter what color they are. There is a reason why they are different color though but I can't say what it is cause I wan't player to figure it out :p

Thanks!

4. Qvothe1331

Jan 23, 2017
    There's been a few times where the current stage/color of the 'switch' or 'sun' tile has helped me to figure out a working path to the finish line. There's one possible reason why that tile switches color.
    As far as I can tell, all the tiles switch from black to white and back. That could be another reason, to keep in line with the theme.

5. rajieru

Jul 18, 2017
    They work exactly the same way but as you pointed out the color might help with finding the solution ;)

Thanks!

PS. please rate my game here by selecting stars at the top of this page :eek:

6. Qvothe1331

Jan 23, 2017
    Is that referring to me, or in general?
    Cause my five stars are showing up next to my name.

The feeling of success in this game is pretty great. I was telling my niece how completing a level makes you feel like a genius. I can see that prolonging the life of the game.
    I've got a pile of F2P or very inexpensive games from the app store. Most get played very little. It's a bad habit of mine. Kind of like when the Steam Summer Sale comes lots of ppl buy a bunch of games when they're cheap just to have them, but many never get played.
    This game sticks out. It's on my front page, and it's staying there for a long time. Thank goodness it's got a nice looking icon.

7. rajieru

Jul 18, 2017
    Thanks for making my day with those words! I'm glad that there are people who think this way :eek:

I was talking in general to get more users ratings so it will show up on the threads list as well. Thank you for voting! :eek:

8. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Played 4.7 for a hundred times now.. most of the time there was one tile left.. can't beat it. #

9. Qvothe1331

Jan 23, 2017
    Take a break and come back. It sounds like nonsense when I hear myself say that, but it often works, and a fresh start has got me thinking in alternative ways. Fixed my problems a few times that way. I was about to ask for help on 6.1, but I just now came back to it and found a path. That one felt like relief more than success #
    Sweet relief. Now on 6.2

10. rajieru

Jul 18, 2017
    Hello everyone!

Sorry for being quiet for few days but I'm taking few days off to take care of my 2yo boy till the end of this week :) We are having lots of fun but there is not a lot of time for me to work. Maybe it's better this way cause I can rest a little too. Also l think I'll need lots of energy for incoming months...

Looks like I'll not be able to but a new laptop so my options for the future are limited for. If I'll be able to use my 8 years old macbook I think I might have something like 4 months of work maybe more. Not sure what will happen first. My machine dying or apple blocking the version of xcode I'm using from publishing the new apps :p So I've decided to release 1 update to the follow.trail and move to the new game. It wasn't an easy decision for me and it will be super hard to pull it off. There will be lots of crunching but I feel like this is my last chance. I know, it all sounds a bit dramatic but I hope one day I will be able to shed some light on what is going on.

I want to add proper iPad support, leaderboards and iCloud save to follow.trail. My hope is that maybe then Apple will consider it for a feature. Plus I'll need those features on the new game as well so it's gonna be good experience for me. Level selection will have to wait unfortunately because it would super time consuming for me and the time is something I don't have. For now it will have to stay this way but who knows what will happen in the future. Sorry...

I had an idea for a new game for a long time. I would like to share my process with you here but I'm supper scared of being copied. When mechanics are simple one screenshot can ruin it all especially when it's something a little different. I need to find some kind of way of keeping you in the loop. Maybe you have ideas?

Please let me know what you are you thinking!

Thank you again for playing follow.trail. Seeing your comments here and the fact that you like my game is really important to me! :eek:

11. Qvothe1331

Jan 23, 2017
    6.2 and a bit stuck. Not for too long I'm sure. Enjoy that time with your kid. Pics of your newly released game and older Mac book might help with a go fund me page? If I wasn't near broke, I'd throw funds your way. I had my fingers crossed for that massive lotto jackpot, but nope! Enjoy rest!

12. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    follow.trail still needs level-selection. Sorry to write this over and over again.

13. rajieru

Jul 18, 2017
    Haha no worries but to be honest I'm not a fan of fund pages :p I just refuse to do things like that. The only resources I'm ok with using are my own sweat and tears :)

btw still stuck on level 62?

Don't be sorry! You are right and I need to face it. I'll do everything I can to make it a part of a next update. It might take longer but I can't just leave this request like that...

Thanks for your comments!
    Good to be back to Dev ;)

14. rajieru

Jul 18, 2017
    [​IMG]

Hey everyone!

So it's been a while but I have some good news. I've been working hard for the past month and it was worth it because the follow.trail update is almost ready! I've managed to get in all the things I wanted plus the highly requested level selection!

So what this update will include?
    - iPad support - Enjoy the game on your iPads!
    - Highest Level Leaderboard - Make sure you are the #1.
    - iCould Save Sync - Continue your game on other devices.
    - Level Selection - Replay the levels you’ve already beaten.
    - ??? - Something for you to discover...
    - ??? - Something for you to reach...

It wasn't easy with my old machine, especially with the iPad simulators crushing a lot but I've made it and now I want to ask you all for a little help. I'm looking for people willing to test the new version of the game to make sure everything works well. It has to be tested on the iPad the most but if you have only an iPhone you are also welcomed to give it a try! For those who want to help I can offer a free copy of a game but be quick cause quantities will be limited. And if you'll miss your chance stay tuned because I'll be posting some promo codes once the update is out ;)

If you wanna be a part of a beta test please leave your TestFlight email here or just send it to me via private message.

I'll start sending invites as soon as Apple will approve the test version.

Thank you for all your support! :eek:

15. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    So, here I'm.

I'm a 33 yo gamer but it's the first time a play this type of game.
    I need absolutely a tutorial, imho this is the major problem.
    If a tutorial level, with instructions written on it will be added, this would be an interesting game for sure.

But you need instructions written

16. rajieru

Jul 18, 2017
    Sorry to hear about your issue :( The blue finger in first few levels is the tutorial I designed. I know it might be overwhelming on the beginning but I didn't want to have any text in game and also I wanted players to discover the rules on their own. I wanted to give them some safe space to play and to stay out from their way. I had this complaint when some players where just starting the game but after following whet the finger suggest they alway had this "Ok! Noooow I get it!" moment :)

I hope you will give the game second try. Maybe this time it will click with you!

Also thank you for the feedback! It's always appreciated!

17. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    I understand you, but don't you think that this way is less "casual gamer" friendly?

18. rajieru

Jul 18, 2017
    follow.trail update is out now!

I worked really hard but it was worth it because a major follow.trail update has just arrived and it includes all most requested features:

- iPad support - Enjoy the game on your iPads!
    - Highest Level Leaderboard - Make sure you are the #1.
    - iCould Save Sync - Continue your game on other devices.
    - Level Selection - Replay the levels you’ve already beaten.
    - ??? - Something for you to discover...
    - ??? - Something for you to reach...

This update means a lot to me and it wouldn't be a thing without all of you and your support! I want to say huge THANK YOU to all of you here! Also I'll be posting some promo codes later today so if you didn't have chance to try the game keep your eyes open ;)

So go and update you game and let know what you think about new features. Can't wait to hear from you!

Also since we will have a leaderboard I can't wait to beat you high scores as well :p

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR SUPPORT! :eek:

19. Paul99

Paul99 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2014
    The ltd time I have played so far enjoying it will make more time to play more:D

20. rajieru

Jul 18, 2017
    Yes you are right and that would make game more casual gamer friendly but that wasn't my goal and it was conflicting with my vision of the game. follow.trail can be really challenging, there is no hints and you can't skip the levels so I don't want to hold users hand from the beginning. I hope you fight you way. It's really rewarding once it clicks with you :)

Thank you! Hope you will climb that ladder pretty quickly and reach the top ;)

I wonder who will be the one that will find some of that ??? :p