Universal Flower (by Annapurna Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, Sep 28, 2017.

1. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    #1 metalwastebasket, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2017

Flower

Annapurna Interactive
    "It's an experience that anybody can appreciate and one that offers hope for video games' potential to stir the soul." -…
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    "It's an experience that anybody can appreciate and one that offers hope for video games' potential to stir the soul." - TIME "Flower represents an important moment in the development of interactivity and art." - The Smithsonian American Art Museum "An experience that is unique and enthralling." - Wired "Flower is a remarkable and exquisitely crafted piece of work that transcends the medium effortlessly." - The Telegraph Experience award-winning Flower, now available on the App Store. Originally developed by thatgamecompany, Flower lets you take control of the wind as you explore and navigate beautiful, lush environments using motion controls. Journey through varied landscapes at your own pace, interacting with and changing the environment as you go, and find balance and harmony in your surroundings. This is an interactive escape that takes you on an emotional journey like no other game you've ever experienced. Key Features: • Simple Gameplay Controls – Controlling the game is as simple as tilting your device in the direction you want to go. • Lush and Interactive Environments – Vast grassy fields, blowing in the breeze, create a lush, immersive environment. • Immersive and Emotional – Accessible to gamers and non-gamers alike, the game takes players on an incredibly personal and emotional experience.
    Information
    Seller:Annapurna Interactive
    Genre:Adventure, Family
    Release:Sep 27, 2017
    Updated:Nov 15, 2019
    Version:1.3.0
    Size:899.5 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (2)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf wtf????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

am i dreaming?

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Ooh nice, I always wanted to play this. Buying today ;)
    UPDATE: tilt controls (see desc)? barf... :(

4. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    This game was always based around tilt controls.

5. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Sooooo...

What happens? Is there progression? Levels? Achievements? Stuff? Plot?

6. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Bit of a plot, but no upgrades. This is one of those artsy experiences. And I loved it on PS3/PS4. Instability for me.

Yes it's tilt control but that's how it is on the consoles & I couldn't imagine it any other way.

7. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Hmmmm. Artsy experiences.

Is it [deathblow] "relaxing" [/deathblow]?

8. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Does anyone know if it's actually just tilt only? I'm not necessarily put if completely by tilt only (pigeon wings is ace) but I'm waiting for feedback before picking this up rather than it being an instabuy

9. Luckithroe

Luckithroe Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010

Lol, was wondering how long until (despite the app description) someone came through with:

"Is there MFI support?"

10. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    #10 FuZion, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Haha!

To start with yeah, but the later levels can test you to find all the findy things & flow through a flawless route.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Just played a few minutes. Despite the tilt controls (holding anything like an Air hurts my hands fast, RSI), whow.
    Very very trippy.

12. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Oh tilt controls means no thank you

13. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    This is one of the only games that I insta-bought even with the tilt controls - that is the original design from PS3. I played this one a lot on both the PS3 and PS4. I'm looking forward to playing again.

14. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Fear not, tilt-haters. Control is spot on.

Source: I am a tilt-hater.

15. dancingcrane

dancingcrane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2016
    Good to know bc I too am a tilt hater. Getting this when I have room ( iPhone too full atm!)

16. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Ok well I cracked and bought it - confirmed tilt hater - I don't think the controls are perfect there were a few times during the first area where I felt like they needed recalibrating but it didn't detract from it at all.
    It's a lovely thing - I've never played it before but Journey is one of my favorite games and I'm not at all disappointed in this.

17. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    So how long does a playthru take?
    Is there any replay value?

I like chillax games as much as the next guy, but at that price point I want commensurate bang for my buck.

18. Finandir

Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    Depending on how quickly you play, you could probably get through the game in a couple of hours. On the other hand, you can just spend time blowing around on the breeze for quite a bit longer. The graphics and sound are really great.

As for replay value, I have played on PS3, PS4, and now iPhone. If you like indie games that are really full of atmosphere, then this is well worth buying. If you want more "game" instead of exploring and very simple puzzles, then it may not be to your liking.

Unfortunately, on my iPhone 7 Plus, I had a few freezes (which cleared up on their own) and it kicked me back to the beginning of level 2 when I was playing last night. I'll see if a restart helps before playing the next time, since my phone has been running awhile without one and I had lots of apps open. Hopefully this will be updated fairly quickly. But the game play, including tilt controls that I usually hate, work pretty well here.

19. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Although I am a total tilt hater this one looks interesting enough to try one day... initially I couldn't tell if this game hasaby true ending by from prior TA user I guess it does have an ending...

Is it truly open world in the sense I could keep going in any dkrsextion I want or is it more oath driven based on where the flower petals have been placed?

20. Finandir

Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    It isn't truly open world in that you will hit boundaries to the world. That being said, within those boundaries you can roam around a level pretty freely. When you do hit a boundary, the wind will blow you back in the direction you just came from until you are inside the boundaries again. This is in keeping with the rest of the game since you have only tilt to control direction and a single touch to make the wind blow the way you are facing.