Universal Flop Rocket (by Butterscotch Shenanigans)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 26, 2015.

1. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    #81 collider, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    First off, this game rocks (like all bschotch games).

I really, really hate the signup though. I know this was brought up earlier, I understand why BS would want to do this, but I would strongly suggest decoupling the signup from the payment. Let people pay first, then sign up later if they choose, don't make it mandatory. Not that it's any of my business, but this is literally throwing money away. From a user standpoint, it took too long to sign up (nonstandard keyboard, confirm email, had to do it twice, then had to log in again just to pay) If I hadn't been hell bent on throwing $$ at BS, I would have given up at step one. I couldn't imagine wanting to go through all of this if all I wanted to do was unlock the Force Field. There's also a trust issue. We trust Apple with our data (even if it is just an email address), but how do we know BS will keep my info safe.... (I'm not saying they don't, I'm saying this is what goes through my head every time I have to sign up for something). There doesn't seem to be any reason why the payment could unlock the armor, force field etc... and sign up unlock the friend finder. I normally have 0 interest in competing against friends, and while it's a fun addition, making it mandatory to sign up just to be able to pay comes across as a strong arm tactic to get an email address. I KNOW this isn't BS's intention... I've been following their progress for a long time on their site and TIG, I know they're super great guys. I just don't see this as a good business decision... give users a choice, get rid of the friction and make it easy to give you $$.

I hope this comes off as gentle advice, it is not my intention for this to sound like a rant :) I would never spend this much time on a post if I didn't truly love this game and the devs (calm down you guys... not that way).

edit - forgot to mention - collider on bscotch in case anyone wants to kick my ass for this post :)

2. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    [Adam here]

@collider and rbates in particular:

We've heard you all loud and clear. You all are great and have been super friendly with us, which means that you are WAY more likely to give us the benefit of the doubt when it comes to things like BscotchID.

We, of course, know we're being responsible web citizens when it comes to handling your data. And we know exactly what the value of being in the system is for our players. But, our players don't know either of these things.

So if you all are having serious reservations, it's undoubtedly the case that the rest of our players are having even more serious reservations.

Thanks to your feedback, we agree that we screwed up on this. And so we've decided to patch the game to make the ButterUp and BscotchID login separate. Everything was designed around these being one and the same, so we have to test the new logic REALLY carefully. We'll try to get the emergency patch out ASAP, but we sadly have no control over how fast iTunes will review it. Maybe being on the top of the charts will help :)

@rbates We're adding an Endless mode! Will appear with this next patch unless something terrible happens.

@VimFuego OH CRAP we are WAY too U.S.-centric over here. Didn't even think about the fact that the dollar sign is used in a BUNCH OF COUNTRIES. Too much of a pain to change though, so we'll just have to give everyone an unpleasant surprise...

@Guise We're adding a MUSIC MUTE button. There is one place in the game where we will force you to listen to the music though. You'll thank us :)

Thanks for all the friendly feedback!

3. collider

Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Hey Adam! I said it before, but it bears repeating - you guys are fantastic... I only want to see you get filthy rich off your awesome work :) Hopefully your switch just makes it easier to pay you. And thanks for listening!
    I have to get back to work now. I'm only at about 400 meters and feeling mighty pathetic...

4. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks for the love!

We also want to see us get filthy rich :)

MAYBE SOMEDAY.

5. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Awesome! Looking forward to the endless mode and thanks for taking our suggestion and reacting so quickly! You guys are great.

6. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks again for being awesome both here and on Reddit!

Just to make sure, there'll be no issues if I have signed up already in order to pay, right?

7. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    CORRECT. in caps. it makes it true.

8. collider

Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    He didn't cap "in" or "it". I'm sensing mixed messages...

9. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    #89 Duivs, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    I've only recently discovered BS games and I think they're fantastic! I love developers with a sense of humour :)

I know you're adding an endless mode, but to add even more gameplay you could create a 'no brakes' mode where go as far as you can whilst permanently thrusting (in the game, that is :p), or something similar.
    Keep up the great work!

Edit: My BSID is Doovy if anyone wants to be mah friend.

10. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Buttered up and ready to go! BSID: skylined87 ...now that's some BS! :)

11. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I don't understand why some are saying they had to log in to your personal servers to pay for the game? I just hit the "butter" button and the usual prompt appeared for $2.99 and it was done.

I only set up an account because BS promised coins, wine, women and immortality. Only SOME of that has come true however...

12. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Were you already logged in to a BS account before buttering up? If so then it wouldn't ask you to login again.

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It's so great seeing all the BS titles get updated, and with added restorable IAP and cloud saves... Totally awesome. I went ahead and 'buttered up' a couple games... Was very easy after seeing how busy you guys have been!

As for this and your other newer title, I'm hooked. I don't usually fall for these types of games, but they're great.

Thank you for the amazing games and great post-release support!

And if anyone cares:;: syntheticvoid is my BSID

14. ineptidude

ineptidude Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Trees
    USA
    #94 ineptidude, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    Same username. First 10 people to message my ID and tell me I'm beautiful gets a butterup of their choice. iOS only. Should probably tell me which game too.

1 left!

15. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #95 macplash, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    I don't know what's happening but anytime I start the game today my friend's list is empty claiming I have no friends. I need to log out and log in manually to have my friend's list loaded correctly. When I leave the game and run it again after a short period of time, it's empty again. Previous days it was working just fine.

ineptidude: I'd like to butter up Quadropus, so I'm willing to tell you how beautiful you are but if I'm suppose to send you message through the game, you need to accept my friend request first which I sent a few minutes ago, right?;)

EDIT: ineptidude, I'm successfully buttered up in Quadropus, works like a charm! thanks a lot, I meant it;)

16. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Message sent to your BSID!

I meant every word.

17. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Sent mine, ur beauty is incomparable ;)

18. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #98 Intendro, Mar 1, 2015
    Can I request one? My email confirmation hasn't arrived yet, I actually saw your post before anyone got any, and it is rather annoying that I can't do a thing about your offer yet.
    :p :eek:

Not that I'm blaming them for their server seemingly being overloaded with fans right now. :p

19. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Very generous of you to butter me up in Towelfight 2! You truly are a beautiful person :)

20. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#100 Anotherkellydown, Mar 1, 2015
    I'll butter you up

Tried sending a friend request but either your name is different or you need that email first. So just send me a request when you can. :)