Universal Flop Rocket (by Butterscotch Shenanigans)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 26, 2015.

1. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Feel free to add me! My BS name is mark

2. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks for all the love!

Adam from Bscotch here.

I'm glad you all are enjoying this thing! One of us will try to pop in here every once in a while over the next few days.

SO, a couple answers to your questions:

Why BscotchID instead of Game Center?

In short, we don't make iOS games, or Android games, or PC games. We make Butterscotch Games. We are already at the whim of iTunes and Google Play for discoverabilty and distribution, and are required to use platform-specific APIs for purchasing and blah blah blah. We wanted a social media aspect of our games that is TOTALLY INDEPENDENT from the platform so we could gain some control over our studio. So now you'll have Bscotch friends. And those friends will be in any of our games, on any of the platforms those games live on. This also lets us have cross-platform syncing of game progress, which is pretty neat, and once we start making multiplayer games we can do cross-platform multiplayer!

ACK! THESE CONTROLS!

I promise you the slidewheel is the way to go. It takes some getting used to but it's worth the practice! You can switch to a tap-controller though, as someone already mentioned. I died within 50-100m the first 15 minutes I played, but now I regularly get past 1.5km. The upgrades help :).

HAPPY FLOPPING!

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    My latest challenge is to beat AndyC83's high score for 14 pieces of juice, it's awesome how the game interacts with your friends' stats;)

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

This is my favorite game so far this year, absolutely love it. I went ahead and grabbed all of the BS games and buttered up!

My BS Id is NapNinja, feel free to add me.

5. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    This game is a ton of fun to play and 5 minutes in I was ready to buy it, but needing to register for a separate account really turned me off. :(

To the developers, have you considered making the registration optional? Some gamers like me would really appreciate it. Also why not be compatible with GameCenter in addition to your own? Being able to see friends high scores there would be nice.

6. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    Seth from Butterscotch here.

Great question, Rbates! Check out Adam's post a couple posts back on why we're using BscotchID instead of AppleID or GameCenter.

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    rbates, well you've got your answer to "Why BscotchID instead of Game Center?" a couple of posts above directly from the developer. If you're registered with bsID you can compare the scores with others and see their progress. The game even creates challenges based on their achievements which is awesome (as I wrote earlier)
    I believe it's really not a big deal to register there, I can say it's worth it. The premium content of the game is much more fun. You can see that from the positive feedback in this thread by yourself.

8. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I read his post but I still don't see why registration isn't optional. I just now tried registering and gave an old email address not thinking you would need to verify it. Turns out you do (why?), and I don't have easy access to that address so I'm giving up. It is just too many hoops to jump through.

9. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I'm not a fan of registering either, but hey, i did, so no reason to hold behind bars. Looks like my GOTW and my BscotchID is Trojan3D

10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    rbates, I don't get this complain about one simple registration including verification (just by clicking on the link) sounds kinda strange to me. Or even maybe more like an excuse? I'm using one facebook, email and twitter account just for iOS gaming and it works flawlessly for me. How is it a big deal to register somewhere? I just don't get it... But of course, it's your choice not to. Anyway, I'd like to know why is it such a problem for you, just out of curiosity;)

11. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I enjoy a lot of ios games and have hundreds on my device. So imagine if they all did this and you had to setup a hundred different accounts. I just really don't like having extra accounts and passwords. Perhaps I do need to setup a separate email for this, but I'm thankful it isn't a pattern in most games.

12. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Sidewheel maybe is the way to go. But why you should rotate it Counter clockwise to rotate roccket clockwise and vice versa? That's the craziest thing.

13. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I get what your saying. If this was a big company instead of a small indie group that just wants more control over their work I would probably have a problem as well. I don't mind registering for these guys because they make awesome games but I wouldn't do it for everyone.

14. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I went ahead and setup another email for this since you guys make such great games (I loved Quadropus Rampage). My bscotchid is rbates.

15. RobMSantos

RobMSantos Active Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Designer, Game Developer, UX
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    I love this game! For months is was my sole reason for powering on my Android device since the iPhone and iPad are my primary devices. Happy to have Flop Rocket with me all the time now!

16. Hamuga

Hamuga Active Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Seems like a pretty cool game so far.
    You can add me if you want.

ID: Hamuga

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    @macplash
    Watch your back, i'm chasing you. Thanks for accepting me.
    I'm, yet, 21m ahead of you, but i was lucky with wormholes in my best run. But to beat your challenge - never came over 1km, yet.
    Nice to see the ever changing challenges, doesn't get boring this way.

I'm soon sending out my requests to all Bscotch members. Need more bullets. Who doesn't, right ?

18. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    add me please id: iosgameplayvideos

19. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    OH and there's an ending at the 5km mark.

Curious to see who gets to see it first. HEH!