Universal Flockers (by Team17 Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 6, 2015.

1. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Some constructive criticism (after having played 4 levels and 1 secret level):
    - I like the stop-time button (could be a bit smaller though)!
    - A speed-up button (2x) would be really welcome :)
    - Restart a level during game play requires three(!) touch actions (pause, retry, confirm)
    - The current high-score is only shown at the start of a level
    - When finishing a level, you don't get to see if you improved your score or not
    - There is a small score variation (for example on 1-1, I got 42281, 42282 and 42283 doing basically the same thing)
    - How zoom works in general doesn't feel right (Meerkatz is a reference for that)

2. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    #62 F34R, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    Score Improved - When you get to the end of the level, the new high score is yellow. If your score isn't higher than the previous high score, the score is white.

I think your score variation for your example was the timer. Basically the same thing, but a fraction faster each time.

The 2x speed would be super welcome.

3. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Ah, white and yellow! Thanks, F34R! I think it was too subtle for me :eek:
    About the score variation, yes I think too it is due to a variation in timer, but why would there be such a variation in time in such a basic level design. Ah well, it is not so important, not until there will be a leaderboard :D (I can wish, right?!)

I played more levels now, and I have to say, I don't like the controls and the zoom (and pan). The zoom by default is too zoomed in for my taste. Double tap doesn't zoom out enough and sometimes centers at the wrong place. Then the controls sometimes interfere with the zoom and pan, like when I use the deselect ability, I can get zoomed in suddenly. And when I want to pan (drag finger) it is sometimes mistaken for wanting to create a box to assign an ability to multiple sheep. I want to like this, but I feel I'm let down by the experience.
    I read this is a port? Maybe it has to do with that. TV and computer screens (16:9) are wider than my iPad screen. And I feel that the touch controls didn't get the attention they deserved when porting to a touch sensitive device.

Some minor "issues":
    - To spend wool it says I need to be online to make a purchase, but I'm just spending my locally accumulated wool, so what is that about? :confused:
    - In the early levels of the game, I was served tips about formations, which weren't introduced yet. That was a bit weird.

Does Team17 usually participate in the forums here? I hope they do and to get some feedback and hopefully some improvements from them. I can wish, right?! :D

4. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    LOL spent ages on 2-8 to get on the platform with the mine to have that mine explode, but just found out that it is a proximity mine, so
    it is enough to get close to it under the platform (which is easy)
    . Damn, why the mine looks like a button you have to step on? :D

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    That's exactly the level where I deleted the game, so anoying.

6. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Flock me, I have no clue if I should buy this or not.. All I've herd is mixed reviews.. I don't want to get fleeced here, know what I'm sayin

7. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    TBH, at the current state of Flockers, I recommend (also) lemmings-style game Meerkatz Challenge. It has leaderboards (individual level, just not total), better zoom, excellent graphics, and the puzzles are great.

8. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Stuck at 3-2. There is an instruction "blast up here" that supposedly is to trigger a switch but I have been blasting away like it was still a new year celebration, but nothing. The hints didn't help either. And for another part of this level, the hints showed to use a formation that is not available. Sigh ...

9. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Great game on my ipad

10. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    All the gamers here who gave Flockers 4-5 stars and/or the ones who took the effort to declare to like this game, surely have solved 3-2 already (it's only at 1/3 of the game) and can give me a hint? har har :rolleyes:

11. stantastic

stantastic Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Not sure if my iPad 3 will run smoothly on ios8. If someone if it is stable in iPad 3, I will update it now.

12. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    I'm really enjoying this so far.. I think the UI works great.. Zooming in and out, placing blocks, everything works smooth.. This is my first "lemmings" type game and digging it

13. staticfritz

staticfritz New Member

Jan 22, 2015
    So it was driving me nuts until I stumbled upon the solution. You need to create a sheep two-stack (green cubes) and ignite the bottom sheep. When he pops, the top one will be launched upwards to hit the button. Similarly, when you are trying for the golden fleece on that same level, create a three cube stack and ignite the second sheep to pop the top one towards the golden fleece. Hope this helps.

14. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    @staticfritz: awesome! I passed the level now. Much obliged!
    So that is what the instruction "Blast up here" means. I only had tried to have a sheep explode as high as possible. "Launch up here" would have been more appropriate as hints go. Well, to be fair, I can't blame the game for lack of problem solving skills on my side :D

15. staticfritz

staticfritz New Member

Jan 22, 2015
    "Launch up here", exactly! It's a new mechanic without any tutorial, which is annoying, but at least the game isn't broken. I've grown so used to broken games at launch that I had all but relegated myself to waiting for a patch.

16. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Dude thank you, I kept blowing up the sheep on top of the stack.. I was going nuts last night lol

17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I never did pick this up but seen its at the cheapest price now so thinning of picking it up

18. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    This one is 64 bit,right?

19. sarfa

sarfa Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Sorry, was never updated to 64 bit. Sad to see it go.