Universal Flip's Escape [Shaun Inman - dev of The Last Rocket]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by syntheticvoid, Aug 15, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yup

=oP

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm certainly not one to get in a debate with you :)p), but I'll tell you one thing...if Sanuku's video is all there is to the game, meh...even if it's a buck, I'll put it elsewhere. I mean, I've got quite a few "simple" games like ZiGGURAT, Dead End, etc. that I absolutely love, but this...man, Sanuku had every right to put "Boring" as a search term in his video. >_>

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If you look through The Last Rocket's thread, you'll find me saying something on the lines of "This game is worth owning an iDevice for. Years down the line, when I think of my fondest memories owning an iDevice, The Last Rocket will be right up there".

This, on the other hand? No...just no.

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #24 TheFrost, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    Yes that seems too simple: collect from planets, warp and repeat again, little variety... the good thing is the upgrade system and its painfully expensive. Will buy it regardless and post impressions, just because The Last Rocket

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Really digging this game so far, we'll have a TA Plays up at some point today.

6. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    But isn't the whole point trying to get a higher score? I don't see what the problem is. I don't believe the IAP are REQUIRED, so why the fuss? Jetpack Joyride has IAP...

7. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Please do me the favor and don`t even try to compare Jetpack Joyride with Flip's Escape. The List of why Jetpack Joyride makes fun and why Flip's Escape not would probably explode the Forum.

8. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Why can't I compare the two? Sure, Jetpack Joyride has more polish, they're both endless runners, so they're going to be compared A LOT. So this game plays way differently, I give Shaun props for trying to make his game unique. Everyone seems to be complaining about the difficulty, by the looks of it, that's by design. It's supposed to be hard, it's a retro-old school-throwback kind of game.

I don't see why everyone's hating on it. It's $0.99, you can't complain.

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#29 Sanuku, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    The fact that the Gameplay is nowhere as polished as in Jetpack Joyride isn`t a Question of the Price.

Flip's Escape could cost $100 and wouldn`t change that fact that some of the desicions that were made killed the Gameplay and made it really hard to have some fun while playing the Game.

Even Retro Games in the early Days had a learning Curve. Flip's Escape doesn`t have any.

Actually Flip's Escape does play more like just an Sidemission of The Last Rocket then actually an Standalone Game because of that reason.

Note I:

The Last Rocket has an huge InGame Tutorial that teach you the Game Mechanics right from the Beginning while Flip's Escape looks like just someone didn`t wanted to waste anymore time with it and just uploaded the last Build on the iTunes Store without taking some Time with Balancing or getting a second Opinion about it.

Look I have huge respect for Shaun`s The Last Rocket since it did so much right but Flip's Escape is so low if it comes to some aspects in which The Last Rocket did stood out that I really would like to hear from Shaun how much time he had put into the Game and how many People had actually Beta Tested.

According to the Credits it where just two People who had worked on the Game and that can`t be really enough to tell if an Game is balanced or not.

Note II:

While I believe that Flip's Escape is a perfect example of what happens if someone don`t care about balancing it doesn`t change the fact that The Last Rocket is one of the best Plattformer out there on Mobile.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Reasons why you'd compare this and JJ is beyond me. LOL.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    And that's sadly why even though I've done nothing but complain in this thread, I'll probably end up getting this...for completion's sake. :/

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Are you aware that this is basically exactly what the developer was going for?

13. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Thank you.

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Bought it, played a couple games, and yeah... That's all there is to it as far as I can tell. If that is what the dev is aiming for, then it probably is better than that other tech demo. :D

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hahaha, nice! Double standar--*gets shot*

16. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Of course. That`s why I didn`t said at any Point that it`s Just Shit. A few of the current Gamemechanics are looking more like to force someone to buy those iAP (Coins) and upgrade your Ship right from the Start then actually to make someone play the Game longer and then hit the Pay Wall if he wants to gain a higher Highscore.

That can`t be right at any Point and I`m looking forward to see how you Guys think about it in the upcoming TA Plays because you had already pilloried that behavior in a lot of the Reviews on the Front Page if a Developer/Publisher had gone to far.

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'm really enjoying it. The more I play, the better I get, and I'm even fine with the consumables. Using em to get a little further than I would have without them... and learning exactly when to let things go, when to stop, when to go, ect...

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Added TA Plays video to first post.

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    This actually looks really good, don't get why Sanuku thinks its boring.

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Awesome, thanks, I just came on here to do that. =oP