Universal Flight of the Amazon Queen: 20th Anniversary Edition (by Liron Barzilai)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Johnno, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Omg i love this game :))))

2. Johnno

Johnno Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Male
    Game developer
    Brisbane
    The interactive interview is just in video form on iOS. It was built as a separate "demo" when we made it for the magazine cover so it was never part of the shipped game. It's fairly short, so I don't know how it would go as a separate iOS app.

Maybe Liron could add it into the iOS version in a future update?

By the way, that was an awesome review! Thanks very, very much!!!

3. lirbar

lirbar New Member

Mar 30, 2016
    #43 lirbar, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Thank you guys!

Thank you guys!

The interview mini-game is currently in video form to make sure the user can experience all the interaction possible and for the audio commentary by John, the game creator.
    Will try to add this also as playable in the future.

About a never-ending screeching sound while in the temple at Sloth Island, can you send us an email with your settings ( Language and Music) and the relevant save game file ? You can get it using iTunes File Sharing. [email protected]

Feel free to ask me any question / share any feedback on the game.
    And if you can rate us on the AppStore and help spread the word on Twitter/Facebook that would be much appreciated!

As written already, I’m Liron, the producer of a new revamp edition of the classic adventure game Flight of the Amazon Queen and I’ve been working with John Passfield, the original game designer, to bring the game to modern platforms in time for it’s 20th anniversary!

The game is a point and click graphic adventure set in the 1940’s. You play Joe King, pilot for hire, tasked with flying famous movie starlet Faye Russell into the Amazon jungle for a photo shoot. Things take a turn for the worse and Joe finds himself up against a mad scientist intent on taking over the world!

Inspired by the classic LucasArts adventure games, Flight of the Amazon Queen has been featured on the App Store in ‘Best New Games’ section worldwide.

Download from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1082321063
    Check out the trailer: https://youtu.be/t-bZ-NXkGrc
    Download the press kit here: http://mojo-touch.com/FOTAQ-PR_Kit.zip

Best Regards,
    Liron Barzilai
    MojoTouch

4. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Gosh this one brings back some memories :)

5. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Do people really need to quote an entire review, complete with pics and a video, just to add five words? I try to shrug off this kind of stuff but...really? Is this helpful forum behavior?

It just seems like I see this kinda stuff in every thread lately.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #46 metalcasket, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    I've been meaning to edit that for a couple of days now but I have a million and one ****ing priorities that unfortunately come before this forum.

Do people really have to point this stuff out? That post is already buried in an older page and is mostly insignificant right now. I try to shrug off this kind of stuff but...really? Is this helpful forum behavior?

It just seems like I see this kinda stuff in every thread lately.

7. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    You actually do this all the time so if this brings it to your attention then, yes...it is indeed helpful behavior.

You know if you didn't do this in the first place you wouldn't have to go back and "edit" it.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings but I wasn't trying to be rude. You're not the only one that constantly does this and it's not "insignificant " when a reader has to scroll past the same long post repeated over and over.

No biggie... I just had to finally point it out. I know you'll feel the need to snipe back but I think you get what I'm saying.

8. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Mason..u think waaaay 2 much ! .. I think buddhism could help you.. Honestly!

9. lirbar

lirbar New Member

Mar 30, 2016
  10. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #50 Gambler, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Gee thanks! Have I been living in a cave for the past two weeks? Totally missed this.

Not the biggest fan of Appunwrapper. She usually likes other games than me like room escape stuff and these "puzzle adventures/games" (like The Room or Shadowmatic). Even though my taste overlaps in some cases (Glitch games and I know it's no adventure but Hero Emblems is one of my all time favourite iOS games, most tactically deep match 3-RPG I ever played - without any iAPs on top) she mostly passes on classic PnC. Don't really like 90 % of her recommended games list, eg. her No. 1 title, Her Story, does nothing for me. At all.

Anyway, thanks for the info! Didn't know about the permathread - Gonna dig into that. Really appreciate the tips.

Some imps for Flight of the Amazon Queen:

Just finished the game for the first time (had started a playthrough on ScummVM one or two times in the past but never played far, no idea why). I really liked it. The polished graphics are nice (still pixel style but much prettier compared to the classic (original) setting) and the puzzles are usually fair: Not too hard, not too easy. Really well balanced for a game that's free on Windows.

The story is nothing special, pretty cheesy and cliché (mild SPOILER: mad scientist trying to take over the world) the humor which oftentimes is hilarious makes up for that though. For everybody liking classic adventures from the Lucas Arts era the game's a no-brainer.

A few things could have been updated though: The inventory is pretty overloaded and annoying to navigate through (you only see four items at once and always have to scroll through the whole thing). At most I missed a decent map or at least quick travel function (i. e. double tapping on a door/exit to get from one screen to another). Half of the game is watching the main char walking around. I know, it was the same with the 90s games but it's 2016 and this little extra comfort should be pretty standard by now.

But all in all the game was a great experience, took me back 20 years ago in many (positive) mays. The inclusion of the original user manual and some other documents (and a video) also is a nice nostalgic addition.

11. Johnno

Johnno Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Male
    Game developer
    Brisbane
    Thanks for the review and feedback Gambler!

Speaking of feedback we're working on the next update and being a classic adventure game, we can't just add a bunch of new characters or new missions - but we can add in some new extras.

Is there anything the forum members would like to see for Flight of the Amazon Queen in the vein of the Making of Booklet?
    I was thinking of doing a design breakdown booklet with pixel art of rooms and how they were put together.

Thoughts? Ideas? Requests?

12. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Are there any updates planned?

Just bought this and have spotted a few problems.

* Cut scenes are horizontally stretched on iPhone 7 Plus. Presumably the original aspect ratio is 4:3 and this looks ok on iPad.
    * Sometimes music gets glitchy on MT-32. Like stuttering.

Also cloud save syncing would be cool!

Otherwise plays great! Thanks