Universal Flight of the Amazon Queen: 20th Anniversary Edition (by Liron Barzilai)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Johnno, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Wicuicad

Wicuicad Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Just pick up this game guys! If you like Sanitarium or Al Emmo or I Have No Mouth And I Must Sream , you should not miss this one!

2. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Any other ones u recommend :))???

3. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #23 Gambler, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    I'm pretty sure you're right. I have an unshakable feeling that I've already played this on iOS before. (Spoiler?) Guy's plane crashes into a jungle or something. Just not sure if I ever completed it. (/Spoiler?)

On the fence about getting this.

Edit: Now I remember how I know this one - Pretty sure I tried it on the ScummVM Emulator once back when it still used to work on iOS (iOS 6 or 7) - The game is free to download for Windows, that's how I had noticed it a few years ago (the scummvm guys mention the free games one can download for it on their website).

Edit 2: ok, according to Wikipedia, there was another iOS release too though: "In 2009, iPhSoft took ScummVM's FOTAQ iPhone / iPod Touch free port and modified it. This modification has being commercially sold on iTunes and discontinued Mid-2015, due to lack of iOS 8 and up support" (another game broken by iOS 8 then ...)

4. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #24 Gambler, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Can't give you any actual imps of this release yet but as far as I remember I thought the game was pretty decent, in the style of other Scumm engine Adventures (old Lucas Arts games, Simon the Sorcerer etc) but not completely in the same league humor- and puzzle-wise.

If you have a Windows PC you can give it a try before you decide though. You could also look for reviews for the 2009 version on other iOS review sites (no idea if it'd be allowed to name/link them here - Better staying safe, they aren't hard to find though). The two I've saw rated it 7/10 and 3/4. PC version's about in the same ballpark with an average of 75% on Gamerankings.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    As far as impressions about the actual game go, it's a classic. As mentioned above, it doesn't quite hit the same mark those LucasArts classics did, but it's definitely worth checking out regardless. They don't make games like this anymore.

The port itself? Well, it's loaded to the brim with features. Beyond the various spoken and written (subtitles) languages you can choose, you get to choose whether you want the new touch interface or a mouse pointer, the original graphics or these high res ones, access to interviews, game art and manuals, yada yada yada...

Yeah, you're getting waaaaaaaaaaaay too much for a measly $4. Plus, you can always check out the original on GOG for free and buy this if you dig it. Way too much generosity.

6. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    Beneath a Steel Sky, the old school p&C adventures was the best... great days for adventurers!

7. Johnno

Johnno Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Male
    Game developer
    Brisbane
    John here, (the designer/programmer of the classic version of Amazon Queen), Metalcasket nails it - the update by Liron is packed with loads of bonus material, plus enhanced graphics, controls and sound.

The other games mentioned here are all great games too. I believe Day of the Tentacle is coming to iOS soon as well, and Ron Gilbert, the guy who basically created the genre with Maniac Mention is working on Thimbleweed Park for all platforms. It's looking really, really good.

So it's a great time to be a fan of point and click games.

Also, thanks for all the kind words about the game. You guys have really made my year!!!

8. Alex Wolf

Dec 5, 2010
    And its great that i havent played at least 10 % of all point and click games i need/have to play :)))
    Thats great news about gilberts games!!
    Loved scurvy scallywags when it wasnt ftp.. (I know it is match 3 but stilll :p

9. Wicuicad

Wicuicad Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2015
    I've played tons of this kind of games, the old school style point&click adventure games such as Beneath a Steel Sky , Blackwell , City Quest , the Last Door , The Pieman , and the recent style , some Lucas Arts' games, Grim Fandango , Monkey Island. Daedalic's Deponia , A New Beginning , Dead Cynchronicity and Double Fine's Broken Age are not bad.

10. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    You sure DoTT is coming out for iOS? I know Double Fine is working on the Remastered version (can't wait) but didn't hear anything about an iDevice release.

Also very much looking forward to Thimbleweed - Watched the Gameplay video of the first 15 or so minutes and it's like an oldschool adventure's gamers wettest dreams coming through :D - Anyway, know they plan to release it on mobile soon after PC but do you also have a link or something confirming DoTT for iOS?

(Pity TA hardly ever gives any spotlight to (Point'n'click) Adventures - Would've never learned about Al Emmo or I have no mouth, and I must scream if it weren't for the kind sir who has mentioned those games in this thread (thanks btw).)

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Tentacle Remastered is already out on PC and Vita, and while nothing has been announced, it's safe to assume it'll have a ninja release like Grim Fandango did on iOS.

12. brogmoid

brogmoid Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2015
    a series of tubes
    the south side of the sky
    #32 brogmoid, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    We do have a permathread here, which can be a good resource.

AppUnwrapper's blog is also a good place to learn about new adventure games, as she's a fan.

13. EZ Ice

EZ Ice Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Apps
    Tropical Island Pirate Hangout
    Not diggin the art, it's stuck between pixel art and low end high rez art....too much banding. Wish it was in old school bigger pixels.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Switch to the original graphics in the settings?

15. Alex Wolf

Dec 5, 2010
    Actually i love exactly this kinda style :00

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I do too. I always used to set my emulators to look like that and I think it really complements pixels by giving them this gorgeous, unique, paint-like quality. Considering just how colorful Amazon Queen is, it's bloody beautiful.

17. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Being stucked in the jungle with my old Pal Sparky together with Faye Russel wasn`t really how I had planned to spent the easter weekend but you never know how Life can hit you right in your face when you least expect it.

[​IMG]

I won`t tell you how we got there but I can assure that what followed afterwards will blow up your mind and I sure will tell my kids about it when they will be old enough to know about what went on during our time in the jungle and they will probably afterwards tell their kids too if they will have any after hearing what their Dad had gone through to conquer Faye Russels Heart.

[​IMG]

Flight of the Amazon Queen: 20th Anniversary Edition is a classic Adventure Game that has in each single Screen you will encounter more charm then most of todays so called Adventure Games. I had played it the first time in 1995 on my first own PC back then which pretty much eat all my saved up pocket money back then.

[​IMG]

The Game has everything you would expect from a Classic Adventure Game and some of the Jokes/Riddles in the Game are still after more then twenty years after I had played the Game the first time funny as hell and I enjoy playing the Game as much as I did in 1995.

[​IMG]

If you are into Adventure Games there is absolute no way why you shouldn`t play Flight of the Amazon Queen: 20th Anniversary Edition since the Game is just plain and simple as much fun as it was back then and I strongly would advise you that you don`t make the same mistake as many others already did in the past and judge the Game on it`s Graphicengine used back then instead of giving it a try and afterwards just fall in love with the Game as I did in 1995 and still are.

[​IMG]

Considering that the Game is already more then twenty years old it`s suprising how awesome some of the InGame Arts still look nowadays and switching back between the three Settings in the Game (High/Medium/Original) brought back a lot of memories of how much I enjoyed playing the Game back then in 1995 on my 14-inch Screen :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Conclusion:

[​IMG]

I can`t praise this Gem enough so you will get to hear it another time from me:

If you are into Adventure Games and care more about the Story and the overall look and feel of a Game then a new Modern Graphic Engine you should put definitly Flight of the Amazon Queen: 20th Anniversary Edition on your Wish-List for Easter since the Game is just freaking awesome and I enjoyed so far every single moment with the Game since it`s funny and charming at the same time while still manage to make me smile even I had already played through the Game twenty years ago and still remember some of the Punch Lines in the Game as if I would have played the Game the first time earlier today.

Rating: 5/5 Adventure Stars - If you are into Adventure Games and haven`t played yet Flight of the Amazon Queen: 20th Anniversary Edition then you should change that as soon as possible.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #38 metalcasket, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Listen to Sanuku, folks.

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There's no way it's normal that I'm getting a never-ending screeching sound while in the temple at Sloth Island, right? :/ The cutscenes are fine, but whenever I'm playing inside the temple, it's like "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    John, I gotta ask. Can we actually play the interview mini game or is it just in here as the video version?