iPad Flick Sports Fishing

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Zwilnik, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

#1 Zwilnik, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
    (please excuse blatant self plug)
    Just waiting for Flick Sports Fishing to appear on the App Store after it got approved last night.

In the meantime, Freeverse has some more info up on their website and we'll have a new vid up at some point to show the Wi-fi multiplayer, tournament modes and virtual aquarium.

My brother and I have been working on this for Freeverse since the Flick Sports range was announced with the iPhone launch so it'll be nice to finally see it on the App Store and get some feedback from players.

http://www.freeverse.com/games/game/?id=4567

now on the App Store :)

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=295314913&mt=8

2. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    "With 6 fishing locations, 9 types of bait and tackle, 12 tournaments and dozens of unique species of fish, Flick Fishing is an unrivaled fishing simulation, and just plain fun!"

Looking forward to this...hopefully even an echelon higher overall than iFishing.

3. #3 wastedyuthe, Nov 6, 2008
    I have a question for you- how does it compare to the other fishing apps available at the moment- especially Hooked and iFishing?
    Is it more of an arcade experience compared to iFishing?

[EDIT] It's now available! 59p!!!! WOW- great price! I'm getting it.

4. Zwilnik

It's definitely more focused on gameplay and a little less on simulation, but we've put a lot of effort into making sure there's a lot of depth there in tournament and multi-player modes as well as making sure it looks and sounds right (Flick Fishing is the first game with fish that actually look alive when you catch them for instance and the focus is on your battle with the fish, which is of course the fun bit :) )

5. Reading the help (which is superb btw) there should be a space where there is not.
    Page 4, "isgetting". Another on the next line "letthe". Yet another "decreasethe"

6. Zwilnik

#6 Zwilnik, Nov 6, 2008
    doh. my fault. (adds to update list).

One other thing of course. It's a big game, so as usual it's a good idea for iPhone users to switch off and on again before playing if they haven't for a while.

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Just got it, I'm installing a TV tuner card ATM so I will post feedback here in a bit... Looks awesome though!!!

8. Had a quick go- this seems very good so far, I like it. Definitely more of an arcade experience compared to iFishing, but fun so that's ok.
    Is there a way for a fish to escape if it goes too far to the left or right as in iFishing? Can you pull the fish in either direction?

9. Zwilnik

When the fish moves left/right it adds a small amount of extra tension to the line, so tilting to follow it helps. It's fractional compared to the fish's strength, whether it's running and whether you're reeling of course.

You'll lose the fish if you let the line reel out too far (you have longer lines in the more difficult areas) but you get a pretty long line length, so it can be worth letting the fish run a bit, reel when he pauses, hold him and generally run his strength down before trying to reel him in if you've hooked a large fish.

If you manage to catch one of the named fish btw. post it (or a link to your brag) up here as they're *very* rare :)

10. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Any news on the update for Flick Bowling?
    *one of my favorite apps to date!

/sorry for threadjacking

11. So, what you're saying is, the fish won't escape by going too far to the left or right, so there is no need to pull it back to the centre as in iFishing, right? That's kind of a shame as I enjoy that part of iFishing.
    Still, I have had a good play, and won my first tournament against the CPU at the Old Pond (29lbs total). Obviously this location is set at a very easy level, and it seems impossible to actually break the line on any fish here. I like the results screen, where any fish not caught are shown as silhouettes as in Endless Ocean on the Wii- nice.
    The game (other than the missing spaces between words listed above) seems incredibly polished. Nice menu's, great in-game tutorial (this is something iFishing could have done with. Readers of this forum may remember the frustrations I went through before figuring that game out), great colourful graphics (I LOVE the animated water, and even the little ducks swimming past- nice little touch), great sound.
    As an arcade fishing game, I can't fault it too much. As I said before, I would just like to have to pull the fish back if it swims to one side too much, as you would have to in real life.

12. Zwilnik

I'll ask the Flick Bowling coder on that one :)

Wastedyuthe, I'll have a look at the fish being able to escape to the sides again. We decided not to go with it and make the centring semi-automatic as it tended to be more frustrating than challenging when you're fighting the larger fish, but it's always worth looking at.

The Old Pond is set as a *very* easy tutorial area, so unless you hook a particularly ancient and wiley old catfish that's rumoured to be there, it should be nearly impossible to snap the line. It's a good area for letting the kids play too (assuming you let them get near your iPhone ;) ).

13. I took your advise- my 5 year old daughter is at the Old Pond now catching some very nice catfish. She loves it :D

14. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Best of luck with your app! :)

15. BlueGenome

BlueGenome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Well I like it so far; I do prefer iFishing but this has pretty graphics and is def worth the price tag.

16. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    This is awesome... For $ 0.99 you can't beat it... good job guys I like it, it's really well polished and very fun!

17. Agreed. I prefer iFishing for the strategy in finding the right part of the lake to find certain fish etc, but this is a lot of fun, extremely polished, and superb value for money. It will be getting a 5 out of 5 from me in iTunes. Well done guys :)

18. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Being the author of iFishing I had to try this one out just to see how it compares :)

It's definitely a toy compared to iFishing. I didn't like that you have to use bobbers and there's no depth involved. I only use slip bobbers in real life on certain occasions with live bait.

Why are tournaments only 3 minutes?

I spent a long time working on the gameplay of iFishing and I think you need to spend more time on this. I never had any trouble landing fish so it's too easy.

There's no choice of different lures. You only get a generic 'lure'. This limits gameplay because different lures should act differently. Some sink, some float, some dive etc. The gameplay in this is too simple to take that into account.

The backgrounds looked like they were 3D from the video but it's all prerendered.

After reeling in circles for a while my fingers start to hurt. iFishing is the only fishing game that doesn't punish the fingers by making you do that.

Overall it's a fun polished game that my girlfriend would play, but not interesting enough for someone that actually fishes.

I hope there aren't any other fishing games in the works. This genre might be the next sudoku :p

19. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    I agree. Flick Bowling needs an update to the physics as well as the start frame bug where all the pins are not set up.

20. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I have both iFishing and now Flick Sports, They are yes fishing games but I like em both for different reasons. iFishing is for serious fishing and I like the fight mechanics much better, but flick sports is a fun "arcade" like experience. So all in all if you like fishing get both, because they have great qualities for each. But man let the guy shine for a minute before you go bashing him.