Universal Flick Fishing (previously Fish!) (by Strange Flavour)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Zwilnik, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

New beta up and another processing. Sorted out some hints on the tackle box setup screen for how to use it and tweaked the reel to match your finger rotation speed again. If all goes well with this one I'll be able to submit for release next week :)

2. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2013
    New beta isn't showing up for me yet. It may take a few. I was going to mention the rotation speed thing.

When the timer hits zero on the Best Fish and Best Catch competitions, it lets you finish catching whatever you had hooked, but does not seem to count it. This comes across a bit confusing (and frustrating since that last fish would usually put me over in the Best Catch). The fish is counted in the scores that display at the end, but you still lose if that is the fish that put you over the top.

3. Zwilnik

Ah I'm glad someone's been able to confirm that one. It's a bug I've been tracking for a while. Basically the fish you hooked before the timer ran out should count if you land it after the timer.

4. Infinite Zero

Sep 13, 2013
    Yeah it's definitely not counting.

The new beta just hit for me. Big improvement on the selection indicators and behavior of the Tacklebox.

The new vibration and the rotation matching finger speed really help make the experience more immersive.

5. Zwilnik

Fish! V1.02 has been submitted to the App Store. Apart from all the bug fixes and tuning I also managed to add Twitter and Facebook bragging :)

6. Zwilnik

V1.02 just hit the App Store! (on our birthday too!) Update and start bragging all your best catches to your friends!

7. Zwilnik

With V1.02 safely on the store I'm going to be focused on getting the Apple TV version caught up with the new locations, tweaks and tuning etc. while doing some design work on the first content update for them both. Collectables are already on the list and possibly a new scoring system but let me know if there's any bits you'd like to see!

8. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The last update brought more bugs then it solved for me. Because the fishing rod can be move left and right it overlaps the tackle box in some cases , so every time I touch the cast button the tackle box opens. Also the reel is rendered in an other position sometimes and casting is not possible. The catch a 500 lbs fish achievement does not unlock after catching a 500 lb + fish. Sometimes for filling a quest ( eg catch 2 lm bass does not reward the promissed gizmo) very often after pressing pause the only option is return , quit does not work. Also sometimes all tutorials start over , so when I start fishing it tells how the gauges work etc. all this after the 1.02 update :mad:

Btw my specs : iPad Air 2 64 GB ( 28 GB free) iOS 9.3.1

9. Zwilnik

:(

Thanks! sorry for the extra bugs. Looks like I'll be working late this weekend :/
    The cast button + rod move case was always going to be a fun one. Going to have to limit how it works when using the cast button I think.
    I'll double check the achievements. It *could* just be Game Center being uncommunicative at the time, but more than likely something odd happening. Either way the sizes of fish you've caught are stored, so I'll be able to award the achievement post fix.

When you say the pause- quit option isn't working sometimes is that after getting the quest complete message on screen?

For the LM Bass there's no quest reward (other than the next step in the quest). The rod's unlocked by catching 15 of them (Other than the Patent Line Oil, the unlocks are separate from the quest), is that what's not triggering?

For the tutorial messages, that should only be on the pond and only if you've not disabled them in the options. If not disabled, they should pop up every time in the pond as we've found new players tend to forget the controls after ignoring the instruction panels the first time and cancelling them ;) I'll add a tweak to disable them after you've unlocked Lake Smith though as you kind of probably know what you're doing by that point ;)

1.0.3 on its way

10. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the quick response! Rereading my post , I think I could have been more constructive instead of making it a bit of a rant . It's just that I have been playing the game since it hit the AppStore and it has become an addiction to play everyday and see which rewards eg special fish the different waters are giving me :). Because of this addiction , I might have been harsh about the bugs I encountered . Nb not being able to quit in the pause menu occurs randomly , But mostly when I've been playing for an half hour or longer.
    Hmm , just checked it ... You are right about the tutorial (blush ) never noticed it was only in the pond.

Anyway keep up the great work ! I am totally addicted and now I really have to get back fishing, my number 15 spot in gamecenter for the biggest fish is not good enough :cool: the number 1 spot shall be mine!

11. Zwilnik

Hehe. No worries. We *want* our players to be passionate about our games :) and bugs are bloody annoying!

Let me know by PM if you want to join in the TestFlight program for Fish! Bug finders are always welcome!

12. CrashingBore

CrashingBore Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Germany
    my gf wanted to get fish! too after watching me play all the time but there is a strange thing happening:
    after completing the best fish / best catch tournament in the first level there is a screen saying who won the competition. for some odd reason she has no option to exit that screen. on my phone i simply tap the screen - she has to exit the game completely and start again. too bad that the star that she won won't show up! so she is playing the same location for days on end now.
    anybody else experienced this bahaviour? anybody found a way to fix it (deleting the app and reinstalling /logging in and out of gc/rebooting) doesn't seem to do the trick! if this goes on i won't be able to convice her that i didn't sabotage her phone anymore :)

13. Zwilnik

Yup the bug Breinstein hit with the exit button not working sometimes in the pause menu is actually the same bug. Essentially the game's stopped being able to go back to the menu from Shiny Pond due to a stupid error on my part when putting the 1.0.2 build together.
    Needless to say I've found and fixed that now (and checked the others!) so once we've been able to test this 1.0.3 update it'll be submitted to Apple and should show up early next week.

14. Zwilnik

15. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    #95 fiskadoro, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    I think you need to be able to see which competitions you've completed and gained stars in before you go to the area you've chosen to fish at.

E.g. Tell me before I start "best fish" or "best catch" whether I already earned a star on this or not!

16. Zwilnik

That's a very good point. Initially the stars were kept to the loading screen to avoid cluttering the map interface but it's something I can sort out in the next update, which will be more of a major content update.

One thing fixed in 1.02 was making the stars in the loading screen match the order the tasks are in.

17. Infinite Zero

Sep 13, 2013
    I'm looking forward to putting the Apple Watch beta through its paces.

Will there be TestFlight betas for AppleTV as well?

18. Zwilnik

Yup. Once we've got the new build in a non-broken form :)

19. Infinite Zero

Sep 13, 2013
    A few quick notes on the watch app. Some in-game instructions would be helpful. Also perhaps a bit of tweaking of the difficulty curve. I have yet to catch a fish. I got close once and my watch screen turned off, resetting the game. Finally, the banner that indicates Fish Lost or Line Snapped doesn't go all the way to the right side of the screen.

Good start though.

20. Zwilnik

Thanks, the watch app is currently a 'secret' proof of concept version. So it's more of "can this actually be done" than anything like a real beta for the final version. (we don't know if Apple will even allow it yet ;) )

I'll ping you on PM for details as the forum's not the ideal place to chat about prototypes ;)