Universal Flick Fishing (previously Fish!) (by Strange Flavour)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Zwilnik, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Sythys

Sythys Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Well, the quest line is working for me now. I had to close the app and restart it.

I don't know. It feels like it's missing something from the original feel of flick fishing. It is the spiritual successor but (hopefully) a few updates and some IAP will be a welcome.

I think the reeling is a little sluggish or not as responsive as Filck Fishing, which makes catching so much easier. Then again, it might just be me.

2. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

It might be because you're better at it now after all the Flick Fishing practice ;) It's also possible you played in eXtreme levels a lot. If you want more of a challenge though, up the difficulty in the settings to Nnnaarrgh! mode.

First update is already submitted to cover the various bugs & glitches and assuming we get enough of an initial player base, I'm hoping we can dedicate a lot more time to Fish! for new content, tweaks and updates. We've got a lot of stuff planned for it but it's going to simply be down to what we can do with a 2 man team and a shoestring budget :)

3. O'Doyle

O'Doyle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Well, I'm loving it. It's not the most in-depth (pun intended) fishing simulation ever, but I'm having a blast with it. It's so zen-like and relaxing.

Yesterday, I network fished with my 67-year-old mother in her living room. We laughed like morons and had a great time. There's not a single other app I've been able to share with her this way (I mean, c'mon, she's not going to get why SpaceTeam is a riot), and for that reason alone—you will get a 5* and review in the App Store.

Thanks, devs.

4. Zwilnik

*This* is why we write games :D

5. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    Well, keep at it!

Oh, and maybe some joke catches in Fish!
    tire, old boot, mermaid, etc?

6. Zwilnik

Actually, the original boot, seaweed and lump of dead coral from Flick Fishing *nearly* made the cut. One of the more popular bits we added later on to Flick Fishing was collectible junk that added to those, so expect to see them in a future revision ;)

7. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
    Yay! Looking forward to all the updates. Thx!

8. retroboy27

retroboy27 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Male
    Data Analyst
    Ohio, USA
    Loving the game so far, but how about a way to let out line when reeling a fish in. Or am I the only one that does this to wear a fish out?

9. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    #49 quebecotr, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    And that's why I'll be buying this game ASAP. Thanks for the love, devs !

Edit: Meant to quote an original message here. The devs said there was no IAP in the game, and I appreciate that immensely.

10. Zwilnik

Yup it's a valid tactic. Just let go of the reel and it will run out with the fish. Just don't let it get too slack.

11. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It's been ages since I played Flick Fishing, but I did enjoy it a lot. So I bought this and gave it a try last night.

Maybe my memory has made the original game better than it was, but something just feels off. All I tried so far was free fishing and the first two quests, in the first lake.

I could swear you used to be able to turn and cast in multiple locations on the lake. Now it seems you can drag to look around, but when you let go you re-center automatically, and just cast in the same location every time.

Also, it's usually less than a few seconds before you have a fish on the line. No real sense of anticipation. That may change in other lakes.

I look forward to updates, but as of right now I'm feeling a bit "meh" toward the game.

12. Zwilnik

Nope, in Flick Fishing you were fixed dead forwards (it had to be as the water was a 2D sprite sequence ;) ). in Fast Fishing we actually used the new 3D routine to move you between different starting spots for each level, but as with Fish! you cast straight ahead. You can influence where the float lands left/right a little bit with your cast but as the camera now looks directly at it (rather than fixed ahead in FF) it's less of a visual effect than before.

Likewise, with Flick Fishing, you could get a fish on the line pretty quickly (especially in the pond, which is more of a learner area) as we felt the waiting around 30 minutes to hook something part of fishing wasn't great for gameplay or playing when you had 5 minutes spare at the office ;) But getting the *right* fish on the line involves picking the right bait, casting to the right distance and being able to reel it in. The actual fishing code is basically the Flick Fishing code with a few tweaks to update it and make it a bit more expandable in future updates.

Hopefully we'll be able to reel you in as we update Collin :)

13. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thank you for the reply. I'm certainly willing to keep at it.

14. Zwilnik

The point update to fix the various initial bugs should hit hopefully monday-wednesday. This will lock down all the locations other than the pond unless you've won enough stars, so get fishing! :) (once unlocked it's permanent).

Next up I'm focused on updating the Apple TV version to match the same network game code as the iOS version so you can play 4 player with a TV and add the new locations to the ATV version. Then I can sit down and plan out more major updates.

One thing I want to have a look at is the casting. It's essentially the Flick Fishing system at the moment with some tweaks to stop the exploits it had, but I'd like to improve the control and response a bit. There's also the possibility of the FishNet system I wrote for Flick Fishing and used in the Fast Fishing web demo that lets you play against friends remotely but in your own time.

Let me know how you're all getting on. I've seen one tweet about someone catching one of the named fish so far ;)

15. O'Doyle

Jun 23, 2012
  16. Zwilnik

Ha! :) Most of the named fish in Fish! have different names to the ones in Flick Fishing. We had a huge mullet in that one named "Hoff" ;)

17. Zwilnik

The 1.01 point update is out now. Apart from locking the locations back down until you've earned enough stars in the previous locations to (permanently) unlock them, it fixes glitches with the trophy display and speeds up the return from the Quest room.

Not that I get any rest though, I'm working on the Apple TV version to bring it up to the same feature set and I'm prepping another point update to the iOS version to improve casting and a few other bits.

You've still got a couple of days to grab Fish! at the sale price before it permanently goes up to its full price. (As I said on our blog last year, part of our switch back to premium pricing is that we don't plan to drop prices on any of our games as that just encourages players to wait before buying them in case they miss out on a bargain)

18. Zwilnik

It turns out that the planned price change stuff in iTunes Connect goes short by a day, so it decided that the sale price "until" the 17th should switch off today. So I've tweaked it to give the extra day at the sale price while the update is live :)

19. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Is there a trick to make the auto reel work? I can't get it to function when I hold down the icon.

20. Zwilnik

It should just be a case of holding down on it once you have a fish hooked. What device, iOS version etc. are you playing on? Also what fishing spots?

There's a good chance its collision area's been glitched. Luckily I'm already working on the 1.0.2 update :)