Universal Flick Fishing (previously Fish!) (by Strange Flavour)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Zwilnik, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Wow how coincidental is it that I started thinking about a good fishing game to get on my iPod 6 but nothing seemed interesting to me last night. I check Toucharcade just now and I see THIS has released! Instabought!

2. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    So, any impressions of the game itself?

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I've been looking for a Fishing game similar to "Hooked On: Creatures of the Deep" for the N-Gage for a long, long time. How does this compare to that game? (If anyone here knows that game, something I'm not too sure about... :p) EDIT: nevermind, it's iOS8.1+ only... :(

4. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Lol. Same thing happened to me. It actually surprised me to see a GC achievement pop up in game. I haven't seen one on my phone in probably 6 months

5. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    The splash graphic in the video, looks like the splashes are shaped like fish... Maybe a better splash effect would look better.

The best fishing game I remember from a long long time ago, on c64 was jack charltons fishing... Me and my dad/family spent hours playing that sitting around the c64

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    The visuals lack the charm of the original's I must say

7. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Downloading this now as I love a good fishing game and have been playing fishing break quite a lot since that came out

8. Hoodin

Hoodin Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2016
    My favorite part about the toucharcade community is how many of the game devs are actually active members looking for input and providing feedback and insight into the process of developping a game and selling/updating through the app store!

Instabuy, btw! My girlfriend just made fun of how excited I just got over a fishing game! Can't wait!

9. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Loving this I can tell this is going to be an important part of my nightly unwinding ritual of gaming :D

10. tex32

tex32 Active Member

May 9, 2013
    Can't wait to download this. Flick Fishing was one of the only solid games out for the IOS back in the day and it was awesome!

11. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Not really understanding the game. No real technique to it - just cast and wait, reel it in right away, hope its randomly the kind of fish you need for the quest, release it, then nothing. There isnt even any indication that I've completed a quest. Is there no underwater part of this game? Flickin the bait around in certain ways to attract certain fish? Or am I just too late to the mobile fishing world with out of wack expectations?

12. Sythys

Sythys Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Am I doing something wrong? I try to start the quest, I get a letter from TOMWLiTLH to catch two roach, I touch the screen, then it appears that a light goes off off the screen and though I hear the waves in the background ( I turn the music off) the game seems to idle. I'm using a 6s, so I don't think my phone is the problem.

I think you guys make great games. I played flick fishing quest through on three different occasions. And bought this as soon as I saw it in the App Store and will play it as soon as I find out what the problem is.

13. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Jeez I might stay away if it's that simple

14. knvb

knvb New Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Same here. ......

15. Durduhdur

Durduhdur Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Only 30 fish... I bought the game and watch listed it. I'll wait for more updates to install it.

16. furion00

furion00 Member

Apr 1, 2015
    The game is too simple, the quest is bugged i think. No idea how this is at the top of TA app.

17. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Reminds me a lot of Click Fishing...ah...those where the days...

Wondering if this only works with ATV4, but not older ones. :D

Anyway. Nice to see it back

18. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

The main technique in Fish! is the same as in Flick Fishing. It's all about picking the right bait and landing your cast at the best distance to increase the chance of hooking the fish you want. There's always a chance a different fish will go for the bait, but if you want to catch a big fish then you need to find its favourite nibble.

Once you've got one on the line, then it's the battle to land it! Shiny Pond is more of a training area, so you'll rarely end up with a fight on your hands there (unless you manage to hook one of the huge, rare, named fish) but in the later areas, especially on open seas, the big fish will be *really* difficult to land. Even more so if you set the difficulty to Nnnaargh ;)

I'm looking into the Quest glitch Sythys reported. I've had another report of it being slow coming back from the quest page (it should go back to the map so you can work out where to go to complete that task), so expect a rapid update.

19. Zemar

Zemar Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Denmark
    @Zwilnik

In the Trophy section, it seems that everything is unlocked? Or it's just that you can't see the difference on the locked and unlocked ones.

20. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

It's a display bug. Thanks for the spot! Just think of it as a teaser for all the shiny trophies you could be winning and charms you can collect. (another one added to the .01 bug fix update ;).

I've been checking the Quest page and other than the built in 3 second delay before returning to the menu, it seems to be working normally on my 6Plus, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 4S etc. But as it's scene swapping, it's entirely possible that if it's hit a memory issue on a device it may either be slowed down waiting for the engine to sort out enough space to load the new scene or barfing out. If you're getting this issue, can you try the usual power off-on cycle on your phone before launching the game post install to see if that improves things?

I've knocked the delay down to a less artistic, but quicker 1 second for the update anyway ;)