Flick Baseball by Freeverse

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by salsamd, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    #41 Hippieman, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
    Wow this gets around fast!

I love seeing the enthusiasm.

What we had on hand at Macworld (many many many miles away from our desks) was just a rough build on our CEO's Phone. Nothing is final so far (except that the Freeverse team will have those spiffy Yellow uniforms).

There was a lot missing, such as shadows, most of the audio and well, a lot.

I'd love to heard some feedback on this: We are very interested in implemented full seasons. But with each game taking 15 mins or so (a very short estimate) and 162 games, that's 40+ hours to finish 1 season. Would you feel cheated to know that if you only invest 20 hours into the game you'll never finish a season?

Or would you feel more cheated to have seasons removed/shortened?

Either way, believe me we are putting our full dev efforts into Flick Baseball. Also, as for MBL License, we went down that road but it was not right for us. I cannot get into the details, but we decided it would not help the game.

[hqyoutube]M7PF12ooCys[/hqyoutube]

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    please leave season; short or not. let me know if u need a beta tester. i let u know though twitter dm's. also; when will slotz racer come out?

p.s: lol! can u post a pic of one of u dressed in those yellow uniforms? :)

3. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

I uploaded the final GM of SlotZ Racer based on testing feedback today, so once it's gone through the final test pass it'll be submitted to the App Store :)

4. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #44 salsamd, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    Definitely do NOT remove seasons. If it takes 40+ hours of smooth, well polished gameplay to finish a season, then so be it...as long as the game has a good save feature. Have a look at the some of the user responses to Gamevil's Baseball Superstars.

5. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Baseball superstars has a method you might be interested in. You can choose to play the last 3 innings, last 6 innings, or the entire game, with the other innings simmed depending on what you choose.

Offering options like a 32, 64, or 162 game season would also be fine.

In any case, there has to be some kind of season mode. I don't know what your plans are, but of course a homerun derby mode has always been used as a quickplay option.

If you want a baseball fanatic's opinions I'd love to test ;)

6. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    +1 for seasons

But if it's not genuine MLB licenses, then make shorter seasons available. But keep 162 as well please!!

7. salsamd

salsamd Moderator

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    See here.

8. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, I was told that a Homerun Derby mode was in the offing, but Freeverse was concerned that MLB owns the trademark for "Homerun Derby," so it may be called something else.

9. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    k and what is the planned price? :)

10. Zwilnik

That would be telling (and make our marketing guy cry because we messed with all his plans) but I'd recommend buying it very quickly when it comes out ;)

11. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    lol! fair enough. i know this is unlikely; but would u trade a promo code for a wallpaper? lol. just wondering

12. Zwilnik

You'll need to talk to Hippieman or someone based at the Freeverse office for that. As they're our publishers they get all the spiffy promo codes :)

13. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    can i just dm from twitter? who has that freeverse account anyway?

14. salsamd

salsamd Moderator

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Recommendation: take the time to bring a truly polished baseball game, tantamount to Gameloft's Real Football (Soccer), value it at $9.99 and charge $4.99-$7.99 at its app debut. It will sell like hotcakes.

Nothing less than 4/5 wrt to the following will do:D:

• Gameplay
    • Polish/Aesthetics
    • Controls
    • Engineering (bugs)

15. Flunkie

Flunkie Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I want this to be a great game. If you spend more time polishing and adding features, I'll buy it at a higher price no doubt. Season Mode is a MUST.. maybe even franchise.

16. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    p.s; when i asked about the price i meant about the price on slotz racer not baseball.

17. Galley

Galley Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Options for 1/8 (20), 1/4 (40), 1/2 (80) and full (162) seasons would be nice.

18. salsamd

salsamd Moderator

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    From Hippieman in the Freeverse Forum

Today 08:40:35
    hippieman
    Ask me how to make curly fries (SERIOUSLY)

E-mail Website
    Re: Flick Baseball

"We are going for the very heroic 1920s type players, but keeping the stadiums modern. So it'll have a very iconic classic feel, but not feel old."

19. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That is awesome!! Hopefully they'll have a Rogers Hornsby and Honus Wagner type players. That would be my double play combo :cool:

20. HandheldGames

HandheldGames Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    CEO & Founder, Creative Director, Producer, & Desi
    Lynnwood, Washington
    #60 HandheldGames, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    Dont wan't to be a nay-sayer folks... But.... IF what they showed at MWE was the current state of the product.... I wouldn't count on a die-hard baseball game. I'd say its something more like a quick game of bowling ;-) with a few game modes. Baseball A/I does not grow on trees and takes time to develop and mature. There are so many circumstances to code for.... Man on 1st, Man on 3rd, fly to right field, where to throw the ball! Third base is decides to run back to 3rd but 1st base and the base runner are going full steam. DOH! Where is SS or 2nd. Whose covering 2nd! Then again - whose covering 1st? Is there a pickle? HAHAA!!

Each and every circumstance needs to be accounted for. I've written the AI and it takes a looooong time to get it right... And to code for errors, over throws, and the "Human" factor"..

A real baseball game of the caliber your talking about has a development cycle of 7-9 months inclusing a full test cycle of 2 months of a multi-man team....

Along those lines, what was shown would be considered a "prototype" and not even a 1st playable. Which would mean about a month into development at most considering their technology and pipeline.

Thx!
    HHG