Universal Flashout 2 - (by Jujubee)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Hey great! Yeah, please take out the revive nag timers, they are really obnoxious. As for the other stuff, that sounds great if you can make some of the adjustments.

Kinda lost here is the fact that the game is pretty fun, great graphics, really smooth controls (unlike the first one), and could have the makings for a really great game with some minor adjustments.

So looking forward to the updates.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #82 awp69, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    I can agree with the graphics and controls but there's nothing fun about racing based on what you spend on consumables rather than skill and out manuvering your opponents. Winning a race just because spent a bunch of money on boost isn't fun at all. And there needs to be more than just "minor adjustments" to fix it.

Hell, I'd rather wait on timers in Real Racing 3 and I used to think that was the worst racing business model. Guess I was wrong.

3. Well, for the record, I have always been somewhat against wait timers, always online, and too many consumables or inapps.

You should know that. And none of my comments are directed at you. I realize as being the former top poster here on TA, that it is not easy posting up honest things without getting attacked, flamed, or trolled.

So please do not take my comments that way at all. I am always pushing for developers to do the right thing, even behind the scenes, through emails or elsewhere on the internet.

Take care awp69. I am on your side.

4. Opinion

Opinion Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I smell a revolution.

And a bad game.

5. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I'm glad I waited then decided not to bother! From what I can guess these and every other developer who has made a futuristic racer seems to have heard what Wipeouts about but no one has ever played it cause every single one has failed to get even close to the original game! Except Repulze phase3. Once you get through the first two phases and save enough tools for weapons in phase3 you finally get the game you've been looking for. But it's the only one to do it properly! Sad cause I'd love to see Wipeout on the ipod. But Sony probably won't allow it!

6. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    this!

7. ikarslikar

ikarslikar Member

Aug 25, 2011
    reminds me of wipeout xl. that was one of my fav games. i must try this. thanks

8. Mike.Jujubee

Mike.Jujubee Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Just a quick update - we got confirmation from Apple that the new version will get an expedited review, so hopefully the updated version (1.2) will be out within a few hours. Will keep you posted!

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #89 awp69, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    So the question was never answered: Are coin earnings going to be doubled for ALL races and not just the reward for the completion of a cup? If it's not all races, it isn't going to help much.

Are the number of boosts / ammo on the courses themselves increased?

Still not convinced this is going to fix the game (really the only way would be to remove the consumable system all together and have the AI and racers start out even with boosts and weapons). The 1.5 star average review you have amassed on the App Store attests that we aren't alone in hating the freemiumish structure of the game.

10. Alright! Looking forward to the update! I'm sure the improvements will make the graphics, gameplay, and control shine even more. Thanks!

11. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012

Yes, for all the races. These are the changes we've made within 24 hours from launch, more are coming. We were hoping the update would be out on Friday, but well... ;) Anyway we will see how these changes will affect the reviews, etc. and if the ratings confirm we took the right direction we will follow with other updates.

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'll definitely be interested to see how this works since each race in career mode only gives you the coins on the track (currently with 5 a piece, so assuming they'll now be worth 10 or just doubles at the end). You only get a "prize" upon winning the last race in each cup. And since you WILL need coins to buy boosts to stand any chance of winning that race (at 500 coins per boost which in itself is ludicrous), you'll need double at each race to even come close to having enough (took me a minimum of 5 boosts - 2,500 coins - to even get with sight of the AI).

13. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012
    We're very happy to announce that the 1.2 update is finally here and available for download so I highly suggest current players update the game. As you know the update brings some important changes - hope you'll find them welcome and the game will now be more enjoyable:). And we are getting back to work to bring you more enhancements in the near future! Cheers!

Changelog:
    • Resolves problem with crashing on some devices;
    • Removes Respawn Countdown Timer in races;
    • Doubles the cash amount you get in races;
    • Various gameplay improvements;
    • Minor changes in sound balance;
    • Minor Online Multiplayer mode fixes;
    • Other minor fixes.

14. PengFictionJules

PengFictionJules Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    Nice, updating now.
    I do very much like the feel of the ships. Very AG :)

15. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012
    Thank you! I believe ships are handling much better than in FLASHOUT 3D, we've put a lot of work to improve the controls and ships behavior, so glad you enjoy the way it works:). Cheers!

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #96 awp69, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Updated and I'm sorry to say this game still sucks.

I had restarted the first cup and went through each race. It's EASY to spend 1,000 coins or more to equip yourself to win a race. So, lets say you buy one boost, one thing of bullets and one thing of rockets. That's 500 for a boost, 250 for bullets and 250 for rockets. I won only won 640 coins -- would have been only 320 before -- in a race (trying to collect coins and still win, which I ended up in second even being that equipped). I still LOST 360 coins just playing one race.

I continued on having had some coins from earlier and got to the first boss. Tried my first strategy that I only one time before, bought 5 boosts, 2,500 coins. But this time the strategy didn't work and I LOST. 2,500 coins down the drain just trying to win one boss race.

Now, I have 120 coins left. Gee, that's going to get me far. NOT.

It's absolutely ludicrous that I have to spend more money than I win the initial races leading up to the boss race. And even though "gambling" that 2,500 coins on 5 boosts MAY help me win 8,000 (I'm assuming since the screen still says 4,000 but figuring it should double), if you lose, it's gone.

There are way too few power-ups/boosts or weapons (I've only found ammo once in my entire playtime on a track) and you're extremely lucky actually hit one per lap.

The consumable model just does not work at all with this type of game and anything, short of getting rid of it completely or putting WAY more powerups on the tracks, is not going to salvage this game.

I will be sending an e-mail directly to Jujubee for my money back for this paidmium trash.

I don't know who thought that the consumable model was not "monetizing" the game because it certainly does. The devs would have been much better off just sticking with the same model as Flashout 3D (and, Mike, don't even try to say they're the same just "hidden in menus" -- they're not even close to the same. There you actually save your money for upgrades and new ships --- not for consumables).

Stay far away from this game unless it gets a drastic overhaul. I mentioned that I thought boosts should be more like 50 coins, same with weapons. That's 1/10 and 1/5th of the current prices. But honestly, there should have never been a consumable model to begin with.

Edit: I should not that in destruction races you do get bullets and missiles each lap. But that's only that type of race. Regular races -- where you and the AI are still using weapons -- do not.

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    My suggestion for anyone who does have this game:

Play races without buying any boosts or weapons. You probably won't win but at least you will actually get some coins and not have to worry about losing them. Hmmm...what a fun way to grind...don't play to win.

18. Mike.Jujubee

Feb 23, 2012
    Sorry to find out that you are unable to beat the first boss. The game is balanced that way that with the first ship, without any bonuses, guns, etc. you should be able to beat the boss and personally I beat him almost every time with the first ship and without any ammo and without the ship upgrade. And I'm not a tester of the game. When we did tests before the release players also didn't have a problem beating the first boss, so this is pretty weird. Maybe the problem is with your strategy? Try to upgrade your ship with the Speed Upgrade and during the boss race make sure to hit the speed-ups on the track. In general the racing strategy is to find a prefect line and try to hit the speed-ups as often as possible. You focus too much on the weapons and bonuses, just take note that boss fights don't give you an option to buy ammo, so this is not a monetization issue, it's simply the balance of the game. Don't use the brake, ignore ammo and weapons, etc., just make sure to hit the speed-ups and you should pass the first boss in a heartbeat:). This is a very simple tactic with which you should complete 3 leagues without problem and even without ammo. Hope this helps!

As for bonuses - now you can get ~1.000 coins in a race easily (not mentioning cups), so you can buy 2 boosts (which win you the race) or 6 rockets vs 200 gun ammo, there are also bonuses on the track, etc., so it's an easy win. Maybe it's just bad luck in your case and you should give it another try;). Of course if you're unhappy with the game make sure to contact Apple for a refund, but I really hope you'll find out that the game is much easier than it seems and that the boss is perfectly beatable with the first ship and without any ammo. Cheers!

19. Thanks for the update, will check it out, look forward to not having the revive respawn nag timers for sure. Curious to see what other changes have been made.

20. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    Oh Its already $.99