Universal Flashout 2 - (by Jujubee)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Maybe it's a dystopian future where the city's been taken over by a pop rock band and Joshima rules the land with an iron fist.

2. Mike.Jujubee

Mike.Jujubee Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Hello Greg,

The controls in FLASHOUT 2 are rewritten from scratch, we've put a lot of effort to make the experience much more enjoyable and so you shouldn't have the same problem as in FLASHOUT 3D. I am sure you will see a big difference if you pick FLASHOUT 2 - improved controls were our #1 priority!

And to answer your question - in FLASHOUT 3D more maneuverable ships can help a lot;).

Cheers!

3. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Thanx! Just watched Sanuku's video and it looks great!

4. This is a pretty cool game so far. Really awesome graphics.

5. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    1 more hour!!!

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, can't wait! Helped test this for them, but it seems like a long time ago! Glad to see this popping now! Yeehaw!!!

7. Mike.Jujubee

Mike.Jujubee Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Thanks again for your help and your feedback during beta tests - hope you'll like the final result:).

8. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Man so many console quality games! All they are missing are having ps2-3 Xbox-360 nintendo wii-u ports and everyone's happy. iPhones and tablets now says have 128gb, it's more tha. Enough for entire game, no excuses.

9. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    What the heck are you talking about? It doesn't matter if the iPhone had 3TB. It's nowhere near as powerful as the ps3/xbox360/wii u. Maybe 3 or 5 years from now it might but not now.

10. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I think he's focused on storage capacity for the file size, not processing power. Even many PS2 games are 8-10GB of space.

Anyway, there have been many raw comparisons placing the performance of a current gen iDevice on par with an 8 YEAR OLD console (PS3/360). The power is just prioritized differently and not optimized for gaming as in a console. The other thing holding them back are developers consideration of older devices and a large percentage of devices Apple sells only having 16GB of storage. Your estimate of 3-5 years is ridiculous, closer to one or two years.

11. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I don't think my estimate is that ridiculous. Maybe 2-3 years is a better guess. We just got GTA San Andres and that is a ps2 game. I still think it will take at least 2 years to catch up. I think battery life will also be a factor in order to achieve those graphics for a decent period of time on a mobile device. There has not really been any major breakthroughs in battery storage in a while. The new trend seems to be making the OS run as efficiently possible. If a good looking port of Liberty City comes to ios in less than 2 years I'll let you give me a wedgie or a swirly, whichever you prefer. You can't even run a ps3 emulator on a PC so I feel safe.

12. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Didn't you hear about the sugar batteries?

13. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Nope sounds interesting.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Enjoying the game so far and it's a definite improvement over the original. Just a few concerns.

I know you earn money at a decent pace, but I don't like how weapon ammo and boosts generally have to be purchased before each race. I wouldn't mind it so much if you bought some to "start with". I kind of am just used to seeing weapons, boost power ups, etc. as something you can find on the tracks. This leads to having to make choices about whether you should be saving your money for ships and upgrades or buying ammo and boosts prior to races. I also am not a fan of buying respawns. If you crash, you're going to fall behind in a race anyway so having to pay to respawn is a little odd. I've only played a few races, but the lack of ability to go back and retry a race also is an odd design decision.

The gameplay itself seems great and a welcome addition on the futuristic racer genre. Just not sure yet how I feel about the monitizarion of the things listed above. Will have to play more to see how it works out on the end as far as balancing between buying weapons and respawn vs upgrades and new ships.

15. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Wow that all sounds really annoying. The other thing I hated about the original it took more than 5secs to respawn and get going again which effectively ended the race. I love hover racers but so far only Repulze has managed to get it right!

16. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Weird design choice for sure. Crashing and trying to get back to the first position is a lot of fun to me, removing that and making a bit too IAP oriented -having to buy everything and keeping your income tied on your toes-, so you will never be able to buy a better ship without grinding your life out of it makes me pass on this one as well. Thats not fun. To worry about the economy or money I have real life. The search continues lol

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, the more I play it the more annoyed I am by the way the things work. To win, you usually do need to spend money on boosts/ammo and unless you win, you're only limited to the coins you pick up in the race. In turn, you end up spending those coins again if you lose to buy ammo/weapons when you retry.

Also, I found that the cost of doing a "respawn" goes down the longer you wait, but that puts you further behind.

Definitely some freemium style mechanics in here that can make you burn through money earned quickly. Even playing single races to grind isn't all that great for the same reasons. You seem to have to spend coins to win and end up not really gaining as much as you need in return to really upgrade and buy new ships.

It could be a great game and controls well but it's taken out the fun of finding weapon and other power ups in gameplay and turned it into "how much ammo or boosts do I really need to win this race".

Quite disappointing.

18. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Ask for a refund, speak with your wallet. :)

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I may do so.

Oh, and there are VERY occasional boost power ups (not the boost arrow lanes, but power ups) and shields on some tracks but have yet to see any ammo. It still, at least at my skill level, takes buying power ups to win. The first "boss" race in particular is a bitch.

They've taken a good framework and extracted the fun.

20. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Sounds pretty lame after reading all this. Wow