Universal Flashback Mobile (by SFL Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Jul 18, 2019.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    When you say “traditional”, do you mean the virtual buttons? I’ve pretty much done a complete 180 on the touch controls. After avoiding them like the plague, I tried giving them my undivided attention in Level 2 (like you said, which offers you a much larger canvas to mess about than in the jungle) and they’ve clicked so much that I would call them “almost-perfect” (yes, it’s a little easy to draw your gun...but then again, I believe it’s just a matter of your brain having to process holding down longer, rather than just tapping like you’re accustomed to). I think approaching the touch controls with a mindset that says “okay, play with one hand rather than two” is key. All in all though, this is an absolutely phenomenal port in every aspect. The visual clues, the rewind feature, the plethora of options for the visuals, the choice of soundtracks...it’s otherwordl—I mean, another-worldly. ;)

2. Excalipur

Excalipur Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Yeah, I mean the virtual buttons. I like the touch controls too, but by stage 4, I’m finding the virtual is better at addressing some combat scenarios. Mainly though, I was mentioning them in contrast to a physical controller. I’ve played this with a physical controller some time in the past five years and there’s not a big difference in difficulty on that dichotomy.

What did you think of the touch controls in Another World?

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I have no clue, to be quite honest. It’s been SO long since I’ve played that port. Maybe I should re-download it. *scratches beard*

EDIT: Okay, this is basically unplayable on X devices. :(

4. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Since when is playing with a controller and playing on mobile a contradiction? (iOS 13 even implements further controller support.)

And when a game is a console port like this one it's usually very safe to say that it's already optimized for and would benefit from (mfi) controller support.

5. boydstr

boydstr Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Male
    Gamer
    Netherlands
    Yeah I agree because in this game you need to react lighting fast and have to make some very difficult jumps just because there is no feedback a controller is the best way of playing not only this game but any game this game was designed with a controller in mind.When using a controller you get feedback in how far you push the joystick for example the same with the action buttons you don’t have to look because you can feel that you have your finger on the button. The only time that I played a action shooter on mobile that had a good virtual button setup was Deus Ex:The Fall.

6. boydstr

boydstr Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Male
    Gamer
    Netherlands
    You see more than once that with ports they make things easier because the lack of controller support they did it with Bastion and they use in Flashback the rewind function that was not in the SNES version that I played sometimes you have to make jumps to one part of the screen to a part of the screen that becomes visible when your character is making a jump to an unseen platform I have seen posts from people that are stuck because they have to reach some part that is outside of their view so sometimes you need to make an upward jump and hope that there is a platform so the character pull himself up so that a new part of the screen becomes visible.