Flare

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by djflippy, Oct 5, 2009.

1. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

Since no one else stepped up I went ahead and TOFTTified this one last night. Always wanted to be able to be a scratch-master but lacked the time growing up. And the equipment. And the talent. And any coordination whatsoever.

Luckily you don't need much of any of the above to get a quality sound out of Flare. I honestly couldn't put it down last night. The interface is so smooth and natural, I actually sounded like I knew what I was doing for a little while.

I've looked at other scratch dj apps and this one appears to be the closest you will get to the real deal. Unlike some of the others, when you slowly drag the turntable around it responds with a truly slowed down sound of the mp3 "record". Same for reverse. Nothing is faked.

And yes the scratch tracks are mp3's. It comes built in with a few featuring everything you would need to mix it up. But you can upload your own if you'd like, which was really really fun.

Only a handful of pre-built beat tracks to scratch too, though. They're pretty good but hopefully they will also allow you to upload your own, or better yet choose from your ipod library already on the device.

Seriously a lot of fun. Combined with Beatmaker or Looptastic to create your own beats... yeah this could be something really special. :cool:

3. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    Nice review, deadweight. Thanks for TOFTT.

4. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    I sold my turntables a while back, and this app reminds me of how much fun they were. I never participated in battles or anything, but I was pretty hard into turntablism for quite a few years. The reason i'm even bringing any of this up is because after about 5 minutes with Flare, I realized not only how responsive it is, but also how someone with some previous scratching experience can actually scratch with it. Granted, it's a hell of a lot easier to scratch with this than it is with actual turntables, but it's still really impressive that someone with prior scratching experience can jump right in. Seriously, this is not only BY FAR the best turntable/scratching app in the App Store, it's the only real one as far as i'm concerned.

Thanks djflippy for posting this BTW. If I hadn't seen this thread I never would've found this on my own.

here's a video BTW

5. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    NP, SQR and your comment sums up this app perfectly.

I hope the devs show up here, because my contribution to the project is this: add interoperability between iPhones across wifi or bluetooth, if it could be lag-free. You do that and you'll have a massive hit here.

I'm waiting until I upload some music, before I do a full review, but for now I'll just say that this is a must-own application for every turntablist with an iPhone.

6. robman84

robman84 Active Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Flare is indeed the very best turntable simulation out there. For extra fun, try using a timecode as your mp3 and use it to scratch stuff on your PC, like VirtualDJ, Traktor etc. It works fantastically!

7. Bronson15

Bronson15 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    OK! Just got Flare Scratch... This is the BEST turn Table DJ Mixer. You can upload your own music and let it rock! I recommend this to all DJs who use a iPhone and to all people wanting to be a DJ...

8. evensteven77

evensteven77 New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    IT/Helpdesk
    Melbourne, Australia
    baby scratch

sorry if i'm in the wrong section but I just got baby scratch last night and I have been playing with it literally non stop since then, at the tram stop, work, toilet breaks, walking on the street, etc. i cant get enough. It's amazing how something so simple can be 1) so creative, and b) so addicitive.

So far I have picked up on a couple of things, which i would like to share as suggestions...

1) when the app starts up we are greeted with a scratch sound, i would love for this to 'boot' silently
    2) the general loudness of the scratch sounds is way too loud when comparing it to the background music
    3) the first drum loop in the app is awesome and very usable however the other two are overly melodic to be used extensively.. it would be good to have a few extra drum loops with ONLY drums (just like the first one)
    4) i love the skin but it would be awesome to have a photo realistic look as an option, since most people that dream about having turntables dream about REAL turntables and not cartoon ones

other than that there is really nothing to complain about as this is an incredibly fun app.. and with so many features crammed into the freebie i somewhat feel guilty for not paying for it!!!!

well done!!!!!

9. scorpioorpio

scorpioorpio New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Direct itunes library access since API 4.0

Hi,

Does anyone else have new experience with this app, since you can directly access your library?

rgds,
    Scorp