Universal Fiz: The Brewery Management Game by Bit by Bit Studios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Dec 12, 2013.

1. seandanger

seandanger Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Male
    Game developer
    Portland Oregon, USA
    No, it's not a bug. The idea is that they can't start production on a new batch until the old one is removed from the end of the line ("Holding Area"). I've heard from some users that it would be nice if the Holding Area batch would automatically be placed in empty Storage Slots, I'm thinking it's maybe something Sissy Fuss could help out with in the next update...

Pausing like that helps maximize productivity, nice work! :) Glad you enjoy it.

2. jarland

jarland Member

Feb 23, 2013
    This wins as game of the year for me, because this is my favorite style. Waste time, be challenged, and not be told around every corner how much faster the timers would go if only I would drop in another 99 cents.

Score. Well done.

3. seandanger

Feb 10, 2013
    Male
    Game developer
    Portland Oregon, USA
    Wow, I think that's our first GOTY nomination :) thank you! So happy to hear you enjoy it.

4. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Yes it's a fantastic game! And I'm actually learning about brewing beer, I might just try my hand at the real thing :) I'm also gifting this to my son as he brews his own beer from time to time. I highly recommend this to all the Kairosoft fans, and of course people who are interested in brewing in general.

5. profhuggybear

profhuggybear Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Is there a way to slow down the speed?

Also is there a way to pause the time when you are choosing which beer to brew? Seems like sometimes it pauses and other times the game has passed 6 months while I slowly made my decision on what to brew and how to price it.

I'm really enjoying the business strategy aspect. I told my wife about the economics and an employee quitting because I ran out of money and she laughed at my poor management! Time to implement some lean management and get some synergy in there!

6. Ponycakes

Ponycakes Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 27, 2012
    @profhuggybear: If you tap the date (e.g. "Y10M3"), it'll pause.

Has anyone figured out the Malty Magnate Mystery? I can't get a combo to work... Is there a yeast I don't have?

7. ffaust

ffaust New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Nice game, picked it up earlier and it's great. I really appreciate no timers or any of that stuff. Looks like it has a lot of depth so far!

8. rmann

rmann Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I'm stuck on an an event further on... Need a bit of a hint on the Great White Ale. Is this a recipe that I have available that I need to add additional ingredients to? This tops kairosoft for me. Lovev it

9. jeja

jeja Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    If this is that Russian Igor dude mission then yes, I figured it out (OK fine I guessed and got it right) on my first attempt. Two mystery ingredients were ale yeast and water I believe.

10. Ultradud

Ultradud Member

Nov 16, 2012
    It's ale yeast and roasted barley. 2 roasted barley to be exact. The water I believe is a given.

11. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Clicking on the date to pause is an absolute life saver!

12. AppealPlay

AppealPlay Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    USA
    This is a brilliant game! It's exactly the sort of game I like to play on my iPad. I love not being pestered for IAPs every two minutes.

Please keep up the good work! I'm hoping there will be updates with additional content. Fingers crossed!

13. the fish

the fish Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    It would be great if I could sort the stores according to which beer I'm going to sell. Like when I select helles in the storage, press a button and get all the stores that sell helles on top of the list. Would save a lot of scrolling.

14. jeja

jeja Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Huh, the roasted barley was a given for me. Guess it's randomized.

15. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #55 sapphire_neo, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    This is shockingly good. I love the theme, it breathes new life into a tired genre. It really feels like you're in the garage running your little indie beer business.

Just mentioned this over at Pocket Tactics, hopefully they will feature it in an article soon :)

16. luftschiff

luftschiff Member

Dec 16, 2013
    I absolutely love this game! I've never played a management game before but this has me totally hooked!

17. tonyctitan

tonyctitan Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I think it's just ale yeast and water that's needed

18. seandanger

Feb 10, 2013
    Male
    Game developer
    Portland Oregon, USA
    #58 seandanger, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    Hey everyone, sorry for the delay in responses -- it's been hectic the past day. Found out about a crashing bug that affects some players and that has had me very busy. Fixed it now though, update coming later this week.

Anyway, some questions I saw:

As far as how many seconds it takes for a month to pass by, no. It's fixed at 40 seconds per month (until you'e beaten the game, then you can actually increase the speed).

As Ponycakes noted, you can tap the top right time indicator to toggle pausing, that's the hidden pause button. There's also a visible pause button in the bottom left corner. We're going to add a Tip to notify users about the pause functionality, we completely left it to users to discover on their own in the first release, which is my bad.

It always requires the same ingredients, but they have to be in a particular order, and that order is randomized every time a new game is created (all recipes have their ingredient orders randomized, actually). Here's a hint and a (hidden by default) spoiler with some more help.

Here's our hint and optional spoiler for that as well.

We can't really automatically sort the marketplaces by which beers you need to sell otherwise that gives away what you're supposed to figure out via research. Maybe we can add some sort of way for you to "tag" the markets with the recipes you've decided you want to sell there, once you've figured it out. Then that would work. I'll think it over.

Edit: What about when you are selling a batch in the Marketplace Menu, if we highlight the marketplaces where you have sold that Recipe before? That would probably work nicely.

Thanks everyone for playing!

19. the fish

the fish Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    That would be good. It's just, I have much more beer in storage then I can sell at the market. Any way of highlighting would be awesome. I kind of remember where I sold it before anyway so it's not that much of a thing. Maybe just a small indicator somewhere if it's not too much work :)

20. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Glad to hear you're getting an update out. Game seems like a blast, but I am getting some crashes in my 4s when I'm low on funds. Hope your fix remedies the crashes. Thanks!