Universal Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (By Rocketcat LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It'll always be $2.99 is the plan.

Thanks! Let me know what you think for improvements. There's some stuff we can do for this game, and if we can't do it for this one I'll make notes for a future game.

2. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    bug discovered:
    When there are two dead allies, trying to use the Phoenix Feather froze the interface and I got stuck.

Attached Files:

3. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I like the game so far. My only complaint is the dungeon map. The art is really good except for the map. It looks a little blurry. And, with all the style the game has m, the map doesn't. Graphics definitely do not make a game. Those are just some presentation inconsistencies. Great game though!!!!

4. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Craaaap. Thanks, noting this.

Ok, thanks. I wonder if we should even bother with a map for the next game. I'm thinking maybe we can just do Choose Your Own Adventure sort of windows, and you see a picture and pick something? And the choices let you build your deck and so on. And between those, there's battles.

5. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Game is good at it is, just maybe it would add more tactical depht if you could have 3 extra cards 'change lane, free turn, discard this card'?
    Congrats on the 9/10 at pocket gamer!

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    New update got approved fast. It should be available to download by the morning. List of stuff:

1. Reduced delays in animations and card transitions. The battles will now play a lot faster. Let me know if this feels better.
    2. Optimizations on older devices, including some crash/fix problems on older phones.
    3. Pre-fight menu has short Bestiary info for each monster, providing quick hints.
    4. Lots of tweaks to various menus.
    5. Banner of Victory should now work properly.
    6. New effects for Shiny and Stunned cards.
    7. New quick story intro screen.
    8. Scoreboard fix! The default scoreboard is now Highest Coins instead of Lowest.
    9. Blocking should now block bleeds, stuns, and poisons like it used to.
    10. New death messages.
    11. You can now choose to not recruit a character, just close the popup.
    12. Poison Flyers display an aura when they're invulnerable to attacks.
    13. Priest Wither nerfed to 25 base damage instead of 30.
    14. Little "tap here" tutorial glowies when first entering the dungeon.
    15. Various fixes and tweaks that got buried in change notes.

I'll post a "what we're up to next" list tomorrow. Doing at least one more update.

Do you mean a bigger hand? Like special spots for lane change cards?

Thanks!

7. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Yes, just 3 special spots for lane change cards, that dissappear after use. This would add imo a extra tactical layer. Maybe it would make the game easier? But I wouldn't mind.

8. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Update's live!

9. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    So I quit mid battle and exit out of the game and then I come back and all the enemy's are back to full health but my dudes still have all the damage that they received from before I quit.

I also had to re enter the battle from the dungeon Map. That's not right is it ?

Game moves faster and I like the enemy info screen though.

10. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Funny, this is exactly what I was about to ask about. I was assuming that since it's Rocket Cat it would be rock solid in terms of resuming. Always helpful when interrupted by real life stuff!

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Appreciating the properly sorted scores now but have a feature request, please show me my final score on end screen. While I see my GC scores are just a click away, at game's end I want to know what I just achieved on this run.

Is gold score based on current gold on hand or simply gold earned this run?

12. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    hey Kepa, GC doesn't work me, at least on my 4S iOS 7.x

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Does anybody else find it ironic that the Healer can't actually heal themselves or anybody else? :)

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah we didn't manage to do in-battle saving this time. So to prevent cheating, it remembers the damage you took. It's not an ideal system, will see if we can put this on the list for possible updates.

Gold on hand. So you get a lower score by buying stuff, but I'm not sure how likely it is to win without buying anything.

Also, where is it still called the Healer? I thought we changed it to Priest in most places.

Did it work before the update, or did it never work?

15. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    never worked.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While not completely sure, I believe it was while I was assembling my team when choosing the priest second.

17. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    After you first mentioned Horse Simulator, I searched the AppStore for it. Get this--there are many different simulators of horses available and I wasn't sure which was the original best so I didn't get any of them! Crazy clones out there. You can't make this stuff up! That horse mock-up is on point, though.

Otherwise, congrats on the swift update. Remember to update your reviews, TArcaders.

18. Duranki

Duranki Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2011
    I just ran a game where I boosted/healed two characters at shrines. Afterwards, each battle showed a '+X' in green, beside these two characters. I assume that lets you know they're extra strong, and by what factor?

Interestingly, when I died and started a new game, both characters still had the '+X' beside their portrait. Is this a permanent, persistent boost?

19. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Using the Archers Tactical Shuffle card, after the update, will show the "give up" text after discarding the two cards.

Also after the card that discards and vanishes (is it the same, though? Don't remember, but happened twice).

[​IMG]

20. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    What we're doing next update idea list:

1. I'm tracking bugs people find and making a note of them for fixing.
    2. Looking into some logic weirdness I've seen. We fixed blocks not preventing poisons last update, and we found the problem with Vanish moves not interrupting sometimes. But there's more we still need to track down, so I'll be doing that throughout the next couple weeks.
    3. We really want to do a "enemy will attack next turn" indicator, that seems really vital.
    4. Fixes for Insult to Injury, which is working really weird right now.
    5. Looking at suggestions and seeing what else would be really good to implement.

That might be the last big update for this one, not sure yet.

A lot of big overhaul suggestions would have to go to a follow-up, if we do one (I'd like to). I definitely want to tackle deck-building next. Maybe once the updates for this one die down, I'll start talking about ideas for the next one in this thread. That way everyone could tell me what they really want to see in the next one.

Five Card was supposed to be pretty simple, but in the next one I want to do more complex things like inventory + character customization+ deck building + having a larger group of people that you choose from to make a battle group (like Chrono Trigger) + some form of story (maybe a dark story?).

Sounds like a bug, can you do a screenshot? It sounds like it's heal text from an item that just never went away.

Yeah, please review it!

I've been that happen before, but never really tracked it down. It's just a text change, I think, so annoying but not harmful. Making a note of it!

Tactical Shuffle is the one that discards and vanishes, yeah.