Universal Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (By Rocketcat LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Fantastic game, which I'm enjoying as I have all Rocketcat Games. A refreshing change of pace to previous games.

I'm currently stuck mid-battle though; it seems that one of the enemies has disappeared or phased out and isn't returning. So I'm locked into using unlimited cards while the battle sits there.

Playing on a 6S, latest iOS.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I experienced the same bug. I was down to only 1 enemy, but was seeing the hp of 2. Once I killed the last visible guy, the game continued, but nothing I could do would further damage the invisible character nor was anybody fighting back. This went on for several turns until finally the game locked up. I beleieve I was on the third level when this happened. iPad Air, iOS 9.1.

3. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I just noticed that you been promoted to moderator. All hail LordGek!

4. Flatch

Flatch Active Member

Oct 30, 2015
    This game seems a bit muddled. The graph representing "the quest world" is practically linear, and where it does offer a branch, the choices are usually battle A or battle B, which often appear equivalent given the scant information on how combatant's abilities and interactions match up. Since battles don't yield loot or anything else to motivate a direction, the choice of which way to go might as well be a coin flip. Btw is there any character progression or leveling... a skill tree that opens new cards...? The battles are kinda vague IMO. It's difficult to read or grasp enemy behavior and therefore difficult to make clear tactical moves. Even if you learned all there was to know about every enemy, the limited card set and simplistic 'just pick one' play feels pretty restrictive. As far as I can tell, there's little synergy between cards for combos and such, and it's just an eeny meeny miny mo kind of thing. Also, the way lanes work is a little weird too. I've only reached the third level and some of my assumptions are bound to be wrong, but I think this one needs a little more work.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Thanks, but, uhm, that was YEARS ago, seriously (not that you'd ever know it as I rarely do anything with my Mod powers beyond blocking spammers).

6. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Agree agree agree.
    The few choices you have don't really feel like they make a difference. Muddled is a good way to put it.

7. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    So I take it you have enough spare cash to purchase every new $3 game released on the App Store?

Lucky you. For those of us who don't have such an immense mountain of cash, we'd like to hear what others think before we buy.

After all, I'll not buy a Pumpkin Spiced Latte if I hate Pumpkins now, will I? Regardless of it only costing as much as a cup of coffee...

8. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Well, coffee costs 99 cents. A Pumpkin Spice Latte is $4.25 minimum and it doesn't taste like pumpkin - it tastes like the spices you put into a pumpkin pie.

Also, I bought a PSL this morning and Five Card Quest just now. There's room for everyone in this crazy world!

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Submitted that update last night.

Oh, I remember Dungeon Raid now! Yeah everything about that game worked really well, I really liked that one. It also had an amazingly generic title that's really hard for me to remember haha.

I'll check out Loot & Legends too.

Give Up used to work like that, but we changed it was a way to end the game quickly if you just had one person left. You'd be able to get out of a fight pretty risk free if we let you still run away, so that's why we changed it originally. Still, it's something for us to think about.

Stuns are triggered by certain enemy attacks, 100% of the time.

Will add low power mode to the feedback idea list, and the Archer thing.

Was it the Assassin that did this?

LordGek: Was it the Assassin enemy?

10. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    If this thread breaks into a huge argument based on that one Pumpkin Spiced Latte article I will be so happy. Something similar is what made Canabalt successful, I think.

As the developer my advice is to buy the game if you want to check it out! It's pretty easy to get a refund if you hate it, and I'd really like the feedback either way.

There's very simple leveling, your characters go from levels 0 to 3 and it provides damage/health boosts. No deck building though. If you have any ideas as to what you'd want to see for deck building, let me know.

We'll be doing work on making enemy behavior easier to read, it's a good point. I think it would clear up a lot of issues.

I've actually been thinking of the limitations of the "just do one turn at a time" system. I think we could make things faster and synergy more obvious and more varied by doing an "your side takes all their turns at once" sort of system. So, you could do like, 1. Have Rogue move down and attack, pushing the guard up a level 2. Have Guard block in his new position 3. Have Priest cast a spell that makes the party's next block reflect damage. And this would all take place in one turn after you select the three cards, then all the enemies would move in a turn.

This would be for a followup game though, since it's a pretty big change to the battle system. I think we'd mostly get rid of the discard system, in exchange.

What do you think is wrong with the lanes?

11. Flatch

Flatch Active Member

Oct 30, 2015
    #91 Flatch, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Awesomely responsive answer from a pro dev! Don't get me wrong, this kind of game is right up my alley and there's lots of great stuff here. Your openness to evolving the game, and your collaborative spirit is truly commendable. :)

About the lanes... it seems utilizing lane changes would have tactical value if you could make those choices when you need to. Let's say the archer has an ability (card) which is super effective against a particular enemy in another lane, or conversely, I need to move a wounded character out of the path of an enemy he is more vulnerable to. As it stands now, all actions, including lane changes, are functions of particular cards, and you may not have those cards when needed most. Does some form of lane change appear in every character deck?

12. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

I would strongly recommend trying out the Empire card game I mentioned earlier in the thread as it does cards and lanes. It could give you some inspiration.. :)

I have no problems with the current turn scheme, though I do feel that if you could play the hand (even if you reduce hand size and maybe grow it as you level up, like Dream Quest) that could result in a good mechanic. Discards would still play a key role, as they allow you to cycle through your deck faster. Definitely try out the Empire Deck Building Strategy game if you have the chance - or if you're into board games, Dominion is a good gateway game for deck building mechanics.

Final report: if you lose your game and don't restart,and eventually your app gets booted out of memory (or you kill it), you're able to continue from before the previous battle, but with almost no energy.

You probably want to delete the save on game over :)

Cheers!

13. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    #93 Fep52, Oct 30, 2015
    Yeah it was Kepa; I closed the app and reloaded and it seemed fine. Something to do with his Vanish move I think.

14. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I am sort of overwhelmed and a little lost. A tutorial would be great for a game like this.

15. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Every character gets at least one lane change right now, but only some of these are free turns. It's easier to do this with the free turn movement characters. Example, you can have the Mage or Rogue poison something, then have the Priest both move into that lane and use Purge to hit for double damage on a poisoned enemy in the next turn. I don't want to give total access to all moves at the same time either, though, but I think the current hand may be too small in general.

I think this system you're describing would still work way better in the new system I'm thinking of where you get to give a command to every person in your group, and they all do the commands as one big turn. That way everyone could also have more cards + their own hand, so you'd have access to more cards at once without requiring the discard system.

I'll check out Empire! I have ideas for deck building, I just didn't do it for this game.

I think what I'll do is have each character in the next game have their own hand, so you still played one card from each hand but your turns would still be 3 cards big instead of only one card. That would lead to a lot more potential for movement and combos. I'd probably either get rid of discards or make only one class get discards. I'd also get rid of free turns as they exist right now, since that would be incredibly powerful in a system where your entire party gets a free turn at pmce.

Oh haha, we might be able to do that change for deleting saves on game over. Though we put in that energy thing intentionally, so if you force-kill a fight to restart it, you're mostly just hurting yourself. This is soemthing that better in-battle save tracking could have helped with, though.

Hmm ok. Let me know if it happens again after the update. One really tricky thing is that I'm not sure if we've fixed these logic things yet, since it was a couple weeks or more since we submitted the release version. So after this next update comes out, I'll go over logic issues with everyone and see what we missed.

16. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #96 pjft, Oct 30, 2015
    Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (By Rocketcat LLC)

Sounds good, I'm curious about it. I still feel there's a role for discards and free turns in a card game of sorts, for strategic depth, especially for deck cycling.

Also, one thing happened to me. I lost two of my characters during a battle and suddenly on my next turn I only had 3 cards to play. The following turn was back to 5. Unsure if related to stunning or losing two characters in the same turn, but might be worth looking into.

Cheers!

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I said if we beat Ultimate Horse Simulator in the charts, we'd add horse simulation to Five Card Quest.

We did it, everyone.

Attached Files:

18. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    instabuy. lol.

19. doomowl

doomowl Active Member

Mar 18, 2014
    2.99 usd is the original price or Will the price become more expensive after the next update like previous game?

20. Ty-Ty2020

Ty-Ty2020 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2015
    I honestly hate this type of game but finally I bought because I just can't resist a Rocket Cat game. I actually am enjoying this a lot. I love the strategy involved and the slow pace of it. It's a nice change of pace for me. There is definitely room for improvement but it is well worth the admission price. If your on the fence about it just get it