Universal Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (By Rocketcat LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Oct 29, 2015.

1. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    This game is great!
    I know you speak of using this as a stepping stone for another game, but I would also consider keeping this one afloat for a long time.

The randomness is great.
    I am hoping for more levels, and maybe more cards for a more randomized deck each time and less repeats.
    But this is so good for someone like me who dislikes the look and complexity of games like hearthstone.

2. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    congratz, Kepa!
    can't stop playing this.
    and thanks for the Wayward Souls update!

3. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ok, just got rid of that fading animation, good call on that.

- Yeah we added a little quest intro for this game too, though I need to see how Dungeon Raid does it.
    - I've played Dream Quest, I liked it and disliked it for different aspects. I thought it was way too luck based for its pacing (not that I mind games that are luck based in general), but I really liked some of the classes.

We could do more levels if we can think of more enemies. Unless you mean just new level layouts, which would be pretty easy to do. More cards is possible, though really time consuming because we have to balance them along with all other cards. We'll see how well the game does, I really don't have any idea of what the chart positions mean anymore in terms of profits and won't for a few days.

For the hell of it, Five Card Quest is currently, on the US phone charts:
    #69 in Games, #5 in Role Playing, #10 in Strategy, #156 Overall

I'm not sure if we're beating Horse Simulator yet. Someone please tell me.

Thanks! And no problem, though the WS update didn't have much in it. We were mostly making sure it was current for newer devices. More updates for that in January.

4. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Holy schnikes I didn't even realize this was being released this week. *cracks phone screen mashing buy button*

5. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    I noticed this game and thought it looked interesting but I was still on the fence. Then I realized it was a Rocketcat game and well....instabuy!

6. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    While everyone is here, can someone tell me the best hook game to buy ? They all look similar so dunno what one is prob the most fun/ most replay ability or most polished someone tell me, besides that I already have all his other games lol

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So what exactly is the leaderboard tracking? Lowest Coins?

Is this lowest coins at the end of clearing the game so as to reward the fewest battles or is it just cash on hand when your party is wiped out?

8. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Super Quickhook maybe?

We screwed up that leaderboard. We're going to fix that in the update, too.

9. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Horse simulator is beating you by 3 spots lol. You seriously made me crack up with that statement.

10. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Yep Super Quickhook is their best game in the Hook series.

Also, FCQ is currently #143 in overall apps.

11. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Dang, I wish I were better at turn-based RPG's. Without a fully fleshed-out tutorial for games like this I'm basically looking at the screen going "what" while tapping things at rondom for the first few hours.

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    UGH, I'm becoming obsessed with this. I bet in the Toucharcade review they point out how I'm 3 spots under Horse Simulator.

#123 last I checked but still under Horse Simulator.

Ha woops. I'll work on that, but probably not going too far because I do want it to be tutorial-less.

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So what's the deal with the Poisonous Flyer?

I can't tell if it is simply immune to most damage types, continously blocking, or if there is just some flat 75% chance all attacks against it will fail. I've managed to kill a few of the venomous stinkers but am never clear as to how the few attacks that did get through were different from the others.

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It continuously blocks except right before it attacks. I'm changing the pre-fight screen to be a mini-bestiary that gives little hints like this. On top of that, we're adding an effect to it to make this a little more obvious. The current tell is that it does a different animation right before attacking, but this isn't clear enough.

15. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Is it the general conclusion that this is a great game but if I want to play it I need to invest considerable time in to working out how it works?

I read the thread and it seems to be the players struggling to understand, the dev trying to explain and then pointing out he wanted this to be tutorial-free followed by the now enlightened player exclaiming love for the game...

But if this is the case, for me, I'll drop out and delete it before I get to the fun part because if I have to spend time trying to work out what to do and why, and that's not actually part of the point of the game, I just get really frustrated.

16. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013

Dude, it's $3, seriously the price of a coffee. Try it out yourself, if it's not your thing, it's not like you are going to go to the poor house. [emoji849]

17. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Just died after reaching 4th page of the desert with Rogue/Archer/Guard. While being very tough, I felt that the Archer's beast interrupt card is what made it frustrating to play because there's no beast class enemy but it pops up when I'm getting gang-banged and desperate for a decent card combination to maintain defense and offense.

Facing a 6+ enemy line-up with two Crushers is overwhelming but beatable. Facing them again in the next encounter with no heal is heart-breaking. :(

18. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #78 Kepa, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    I'm adding some hints/tips tonight and more indicators later. I'm not adding an actual tutorial. There's not much point. Controls are really simple and figuring out small interactions is a lot of the point of the game. There are some things that just aren't indicated well enough, but they're also things that wouldn't be explained very smoothly in a tutorial. Example: A tutorial showing you every monster in the game, one at a time, versus just letting you look up info about them whenever.

EDIT: Summary is I'm not against providing more info in-game, it's just that I think a tutorial is a bad way of doing it.

Crushers count as beasts.

I'm submitting that update that turns the pre-fight screen into a quick bestiary with info on the monsters you fight in the next battle. Every enemy that's a beast will mention that it is one. It's probably too unclear to do by visual cues alone in the current version, so newer players unfairly have to figure out what's a beast or not by trial and error.

19. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #79 pjft, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (By Rocketcat LLC)

Thanks for the tip - instabought Horse Simulator.

:D

Ok, serious stuff then, and now clarifying a bit more what I meant with the recommendations, now that I have a proper keyboard and am not typing on my phone. :)

Dungeon Raid comment: I just remembered that they had some weird and interesting random backstories at all times, for each quest. Even though the game would eventually play out the same - i.e. gameplay would be the same and there was no way to really beat it - it added a lot of flavor to the game. I would definitely recommend starting a few different games there just to get a feel for what I mean. Here's an example.

[​IMG]

Dream Quest: what I was going for on Dream Quest was not as much the luck-based dynamics, but really the deckbuilding as a metaphor for character progression, upgrading, and items. While you're at it, Card Hunter (Loot & Legends, on iOS, I believe) has similar ideas, where different items (say, a long sword) will add different cards (as attacks) to your deck, so you can build them in different ways. I could see that kind of dynamic working for character development, because you'd be able to build your deck and adding "drawing more cards" and "purging cards" to the dynamics, together with playing more than one card per turn (i.e. playing your hand, or at least as much as you can if you have a limit of action points) could allow for some interesting combos and play styles.

I hope this makes sense.

Finally, two more comments or unexpected experiences:

If I click "Give up" (which I thought would be a "run away from battle", and not a "quite game and restart"!), and then I cancel, I'll still lose my turn. That's not expected. I actually thought that "Give up" would be "Run away", where you'd exit the battle keeping your characters with their current health. It could be an interesting strategic option to add, rather than restart the full game. You might find yourself taking on a much harder battle than you're prepared for, so you could run away if things are not going your way and perhaps use a fountain or try again with a different item (even though your characters will probably have less health). A thought.

Also, if I use the Archer's card (whatever the card name is) to aim and the following turn shoot at the two other lanes, but he gets stunned, I kind of expected him to either be interrupted, or to shoot when he's no longer stunned. Either one would work. Right now, however, he stays in aiming position until you actually do something with him, which is weird.

Speaking of which, how is stunned triggered?

EDIT: also, any chance for a "low power" mode? Removing the parallax and maybe lower frame rate or something? I find that my phone's battery is being sucked away by this - not excessively, mind you, but my battery screen states that FCQ is responsible for draining 25% of my battery with just 55 mins on screen? :|

Image in link, don't know how to resize :(

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/30/7614dc5d5bf3fbb6ce8d04857016ba6b.jpg

Cheers, great game!

20. tahzblade

tahzblade Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Ah, game looks great.

Now I have to attempt to wait patiently for this game to release on Android, So I can instabuy it. :)