Universal Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (By Rocketcat LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Ty-Ty2020

Ty-Ty2020 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Can anyone give any imps? This isn't my type of genre but then again it's rocket cat so I have no idea how it is.

2. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Pretty cool. I like how all the different characters form different strategies with each other. Love the art and clean minamalistic ui.

I would like to see a turn counter somewhere and I'd also like to click on my character and all the cards for that character show up instead of cycling through them all the time.

I know some people are going to want to see some numbers for hp and attacks. It doesn't really bother me though. It's kind of fun figuring things out. It's not really complicated but I know for some it might be a good idea to include at least one battle as a tutorial.

3. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rocketcat, Instapurchasssssse!

4. bhoylhogro

bhoylhogro Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    #24 bhoylhogro, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    - for now, the rogue cards that counterattacks isn't clear on activation and duration
    - all enemies
    - ipad 2 with ios 6

Edit: played some more and figured out how enemies attack and when some cards activate. The life bar seems like it's a delayed reaction sorta thing and it doesn't affect gameplay at all.

5. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Thanks!

Turn counter for what? I assume enemy attacks but not sure. What do you mean for the character card sort, just highlighting what cards are theirs?

Will see if we can sneak something in like a tutorial, not sure though. Those can end up being pretty complicated. It may be easier overall to just try to add more indicators.

- Ok, I'll take a look on how it's worded. It only lasts for one turn, that probably isn't clear enough.
    - Some give indicators and other you have to count. I'll get more feedback on this, maybe too much to ask people to track, at least when diving right in.
    - It works on my iPad 2, but I'm using iOS 9. Might be a really specific bug?

Anyone else having this issue too?

6. bhoylhogro

Nov 26, 2014
    I just reached the jungle floor and had an enemy that gets zero damage from any attack I do, the one-eyed flying blue poison thingie. Am I doing something wrong?

7. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I can confirm the life bar bug. I'm playing on a mini 2.

8. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It's vulnerable right before it attacks, when it plays a special animation. We'll make this more obvious.

What OS?

9. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Apologies for the naive question here, but this looks quite interesting. Oh, and it's RocketCat :)

Can we win the game? Is it random each time we play?

Thanks!

10. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    There's a boss, he's the guy in the icon. If you can defeat him, you win the game. You have to get to him first, though.

It's random each time you play. The battles are randomized as to what you fight, and the maps pick from a larger pool of possible ones for each area.

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I see, thanks.

How long would one such playthrough be? And average length per play session, ballpark? Not a factor in any way, just curious as to what to expect.

My follow up question would be if there are mid-game save states, and how. Meaning, can I stop playing at any point and it'll resume from there?

Also, what's the card mechanic like? Is it a deck per character with different actions? Is it a deck for the player and you then choose which character to assign the action from a common pool to on each turn? Do characters gain new cards/discard cards (i.e. is there an element of deck building) say, a la Dream Quest for instance?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, and thanks for your time! Best of luck with the release :)

12. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I got the gold item that makes your cards shiny. What does it do to the cards besides being sparkly #

13. bhoylhogro

Nov 26, 2014
    I'm midway through the third floor and my battery's now dry, liking it a lot so far. It's one of the tutorial-less games that you learn more about the basic mechanics as you progress. Figuring out stuff is part of the challenge, usually when I was left wondering why my characters got damaged themselves after attacking or lane switching (could be enemy passive skills).

There are also lags between attacking and actual hit animation. I'm sure it's probably because my device is slow, so I'm not complaining if I can play this new game at all!

14. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Just came here to say, that this is the first iOS game I bought since I got my new 3DS XL about 8 months ago!
    Kepa and Rocketcat Games - YOU ROCK!!! Keep up the great work!!!

15. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Yeah! Reached the desert on my first try. I love the look and feel of the game. Still trying to figure out what cards appear when and why, but the game itself is a great experience. Well polished and seems to have some depth to it.

Especially the graphical presentation is great. Really recommended.

16. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Starting to get used to the game, it does seem very basic, which I believe was the intention.

A quick tutorial probably wouldn't be a bad idea for new players as well as that updated character selection screen (Kepa -- update 2?!!) maybe add some parallax effects to it too! Also a number showing total hit points would also be welcomed, it's kind of a guess how much Hp enemies have left.

17. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I am addicted to manuals. So here there isn't a manual.
    Just started, I like the game.
    But I have questions. There are three lanes. If I attack forward in let's say lane 1 and in that lane, no enemy is there, I experienced that the enemy in lane 2 gets the damage. Is that right?

18. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    It would be nice to see which cards the enemy plays.

19. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    New rocketcat!?!? I know what im doing when i get off work.