Universal Five Card Quest - Tactical RPG Battles (By Rocketcat LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Oct 29, 2015.

1. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    This game is great on 6+!
    Any other game like this?

2. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Dream quest, Pixel Heroes

Only the latter has potrait mode

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Just downloaded the update after being out of commission for a few days. Can't wait to get into this again. Thanks, Rocketcat.

4. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I don't consider it similar to Dream Quest because it's not about deck building. I'd like to tackle that genre in the future, though. I'm not sure what I'd compare it to, but it was inspired by stuff like Nightmare Cooperative (especially for the art) and Zaga-33 / 868-Hack (the attempt of doing a simple to control game but with a focus on tactics).

I haven't played Pixel Heroes yet.

5. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I think this game is sorely missing a tutorial. I've tried to get into it but really have no idea what is going on. Bought because I've enjoyed some of Rocketcats other games so I figured why not give it a try. Obviously people have figured out the game as they are rating it 5-stars but I'm just not catching on or something. Oh well not all games are meant for everyone. Looking forward to Deathroad to Canada!

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback!

I wanted to make a simple game that didn't need a tutorial for this one. In the future I'll probably make games like this both more complex and with more tutorial stuff. By more complex I mean deck building, more card options available at any point, inventory and equipment management, and so on. By tutorial stuff I mean both a tutorial and a general focus more on being able to look up stuff at any time. The last Five Card update improved this, but it could be even better.

7. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #227 zen_mode, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Agree with DQ probably not being an apt comparison. It was difficult to think of something similar. 868-Hack is also a game that I have countless hours in and was very special for me when it was released. There is something to be said about the sheer elegance of the game and it is something I will never delete from my device.

Abilities in Hack materialize in a single turn and everything is fairly straight forward. The difficulty stems from the emergent gameplay and combining abilities in clever ways. In Five Card Quest, there is an event queue that needs to be understood, and I still often find myself misunderstanding what will happen in a given turn, even with the addition of attack indicators.

I see some truth to the comments here that some elements need to be explained through some type of tutorial, as I've got a few hours in and i'm often taking damage unnecessarily from unexpected outcomes.

One aspect I do appreciate is that the game itself is difficult, like a true roguelike should be, so i'm still very much intrigued and constantly experimenting with classes and abilities to get a little bit further. In that regard, it does remind me of DQ.

Another thing I read a little while back that is that there is five floors in total? My feeling is that this is a little too long, and three floors would have been ideal as the game is quite difficult and is obviously randomised anyway, putting less weight on the need for length. More play is needed on my behalf to get a better feel for this though.

8. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah I wondered about length while making it. It's shorter than it was going to be. Mostly there's the intro floor, then three different floors to introduce different enemies as a group, then the last floor that puts them all together. I'm not sure what I'd do differently, except maybe just making each individual floor shorter.

9. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Is there a final? Ranking?

10. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    There's an end boss and a ranked scoreboard.

11. guttaperk

guttaperk Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Still playing

The game’s still awesome

I still suck.