Fish Labs Betrayal Megathread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by adamlax, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    As far as FTP goes, GOF2 was converted to a free game years ago; the price has never been raised back up, GOF2HD as well IIRC.

2. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Ching Chong Lee, ching Chong Lee, ching Chong Lee chippy lie #

(I know those aren't the lyrics, but who gives a crap. It sounded kind of like it lol)

Would you like some fricadellers and leverpostarj? #

3. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Was implying that getting so out of gear over complete minutiae in a game you don't have to play is ridiculous while much of the world is at loggerheads. Perspective. If people could take the vehemence they feel towards games like this and apply it to something righteous, the world would become the smegging Elysian Fields, but no...freemium, IAPS etc. It's a waste of kilojoules.

4. diabolus

diabolus Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Photographer
    Switzerland
    #124 diabolus, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    This GOF is a disaster.
    You can review it, rereview it and put as many stars as you want.
    You can imagine GOF 1&2 never existed.
    But for the true fans and gamers of GOF since J2ME & Symbian (99% of kids here will not even know what SE K800i, W880i or Nokia N95 means) its just a disaster.
    It was a single player game with free roam, story, character - a one of a kind gem!
    It made me love Fishlabs games and even see a positive side of the totally f.cked up Hamburg town where Fishlabs come from.
    Now everything of that is simply gone.
    Call it what you want, but this has nothing to do with GOF.
    Im 30 now and I played GOF in 2006 and GOF 2 in 2009 and I was waiting to meet Keith T. Maxwell and his adventures again.
    But sure Maxwell is not most important of course. I just wanted to get a good Sequel.
    But all I can say - and I will speak for many thousand of fans - now you just suck, Fishlabs.

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It is amazing to me that a supposed "adult" could actually think this is an acceptable way to talk to another human being in public.

And people wonder why we have to split up threads like this? smh

6. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Well, he's not really wrong

7. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I come back to the TA forums to check on what people are saying about a game that I've been enjoying recently.

Not one thing has changed lol. The moderators are still trying to seperate F2P hate and game discussion from the game's official thread.

Well... back to just reading the articles

8. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    No, he is wrong. Below you is an example for that argument. I've quoted it in this post as well.

Do you guys see this? Do you all see this? This here is why we can't let blind hate rule the forums, which is really what this now, blind hate. Seething rabid and outright disrespectful comments like the ones in this thread scare away not only developers but potential users/returning users as well.

It is killing this community. The more you guys do your hate the more toxic the forums are. They do not seem toxic. They are toxic. And seeing this community grow smaller, well in all honesty? That's just sad.

9. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Well...

1. He said fishlabs sucked, not an individual human being...a group of developers, a company. There's a difference IMO. I would be against such comments against an individual.

2. I think most people would agree that his comments are relatively tame for the internet...

I'm sure fishlabs was fully prepared for such reactions when they released this game. Instead of giving former GoF fans what they wanted, they released something for $$$. Can I blame them? Not much, it's a business. Premium titles don't make near as much money. Probably an easy decision for them.

Still, as a GoF 2 fan I was greatly disapointed to see them transition into freemium games. I would have been happy to buy a true successor to GoF 2. This game didn't even last a week on my device, deleted it without a second thought.

People have a right to be frustrated IMO. You're entitled to your own opinion though...

10. diabolus

diabolus Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Photographer
    Switzerland
    #130 diabolus, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Im living in Switzerland which is a free country and Im free to tell what I think. Im talking straight and clear. If you think this is rude or unpolite - grow up.
    This kind of reaction is necessary. Especially after years of waiting for the GOF3.
    I didn't insult anybody personally. I said the truth. Those kids here who never had any Java version of GOF1&2 will maybe never understand what I mean. You can think what you want and pretend to be social, polite etc. I don't care a **ck. I repeat what I already said. I don't recognize Fishlabs as Company at all. Its not a GOF they made here. Its a shame.

11. Dagrims

Dagrims Member

Dec 7, 2016
    #131 Dagrims, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    I'm a new member to these forums, and just finished reading this entire thread for the first time. It is I am sure an unexpected result of all these posts, but I just downloaded GoF 2 and am excited to try it!

12. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    It is not so strange. It had the same effect on me. However, my backlog is huuuge at the moment. Hahhah

13. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Deep Silver FISHLABS

DEEP SILVER FISHLABS are redeeming themselves as we speak!

Check out this official press release!

14. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Unfortunately, I don't see it that way. Your link is to the port of Manticore to Nintendo Switch, where players support premium apps. I read that as abandoning iOS in favor of platforms where they can actually make money, and I don't blame them.

Note that there's no mention of changing the iOS version. Perhaps if they turn a profit on the Switch one they can port that version (which requires all sorts of design changes and re-tuning to get rid of the F2P aspects) back to iOS and retire the F2P version.

It's also possible that pigs fly, but I'll continue to dream.

15. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Hopeful, but unlikely, as they have been pretty adamant about their stance on the F2P model with the iOS/Android version since Day 1, no matter how convincing the argument. Naturally, once revenue falls below support, the game's server will be shutdown...until that happens, I doubt there'd be an iOS port of Manticore: Galaxy on Fire, not to mention, even if they did somehow decide to port Manticore: Galaxy on Fire, they'd have to deal with stingy people not willing to pay more than $0.99 in this mobile ecosystem; the game is around $20 USD on Switch.

Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore was actually one of the final blows made causing me to blatantly give up mobile gaming altogether last year. Now with the Nintendo Switch in hand, I'm living the PREMIUM life a true gamer like myself deserves. They saw a great opportunity to recoup their losses by taking advantage of the Nintendo Switch.

16. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I am almost giving up on mobile gaming altogether. It is a shame, since it was so promising.

Between Apple throwing unnecessary updates that break games and devs don't getting enough revenue, I can't trust that my games are going to last anymore. I am thinking about getting a Switch, if Nintendo goes back to supporting Brazil again.

17. geniusx

geniusx Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ios games is not like few years ago,now is worst...

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Only gave up mobile gaming recently when i got a switch last christmas, and im glad i did, also now living on the premium gaming lifestyle.

Until today... Picked up Evoland 2. Would still be instabuy even at $15-$20 on switch if it does get ported. Would be an easy decision to double dip.

19. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    As someone who tried PvZ2: It's About Time, i'd like to hear specifically what of the F2P is it that you do NOT like.

Me. I first tried it back around 2014. Didn't like having to grind for keys to unlock the new plants. I quit it, and then came back to it 1 to 2 years later when they changed it such that beating the boss of a world unlocked the key, and plants are unlocked normally. You can still pay real money to unlock a world sooner, but you still have the option to pass it normally. However, some plants now cost real $$, or premium in-game currency (gems).

Played for a few years because they kept coming out with new content (not just the Daily Pinata level that requires initial internet connection, but new worlds, new levels, and new modes of play). I also purchased IAP when they went on sale for at least 30% to 80% off.
    I quit it for about 8 to 12 months because they stopped releasing new content, and the quests felt "grindy" (defeat 200 zombies? :( It got most repetitive). Being able to level up the plants individually also got under my skin b/c 1) it seemed like it would destroy the "purity of the game", and 2) it would take FAAAR too long to max out everything (my estimates were 8 to 15 months of constant playing).

I'm back to it again. My Ipod Touch 5 is still on ios7, while my iPad Air is on ios8 (which the game now requires to be current). The iPad of course ain't portable, but it keeps the gaming at home, as I'm stuck with wifi anyways (unless I'm out of town, and tether off my phone for data). It does take up about 10 to 45 minutes per day, but... they did make the necessary changes to get me sucked back in. I've had days where I just completely skipped it too (and not just b/c I was on travel), so overall, I'm still pleased with myself and the game.

20. Sanford Botkin

Sanford Botkin New Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Male
    #140 Sanford Botkin, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Actually, I like the game. You obviously put a lot of resources and thought into it. HOWEVER, what is most shocking is that there is no written manual to accompany the game!! That was incredibly stupid and short sighted, not to mention cheap. A manual should have provided info on adjusting settings, key controls, info on each leader and weakness, when to move onto the next sector, info on weapons, shields, ships etc. Right now, everything is hit or miss and trial and error which a good manual could have eliminated these issues.

I also don't know why you removed mining, trading, and other features from the game that GOF 2 and GOF1 had. You already had the engine for these activities, so it wouldn't have been an expensive burden to carry them over to GOF3. All you had to do is to essentially replicate GOF2 or GOF1 but adding a new story, new enemies and maybe a few new items and weapons. Again, if you have a winner, you stick with what people like and NOT try to reinvent the wheel. This is what Masters of Orion tried to do with MOO 3 total revamp and failed miserably. I don't know why we learn history since no one seems to learn from history.