Fish Labs Betrayal Megathread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by adamlax, Dec 8, 2016.

1. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Would negative comments still be moved here (and deemed to be "off-topic") if Fishlabs weren't advertising on TA? I understand that a business needs revenue to be viable, i'm a business owner myself, but the original thread should just be tagged as [Sponsored Content] or as such. The way it's being handled now is probably not the optimal solution and will probably hurt TA in the long-run. To be clear, what i'm trying to say is that there's nothing wrong wanting to keep the original the thread more advertiser friendly, but I feel a good comprise would be to clearly mark the other thread with an advertiser tag, so that it looks more transparent.

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Advertising has nothing to do with it. We're not trying to keep the original thread "advertiser friendly" we're trying to keep it "player friendly."

This is something we've done dozens and dozens of times with many games over the years, I'm not sure why it's all of a sudden such a big deal here.

3. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I am disappointed at TA on this one.

I hate negativity and hate because gaming was supposed to be fun.

However, it is fair game if people express their disliked for the game and compare it with GOF 1 and 2, because, well, this is Galaxy on Fire.

People looking on the thread might see the negativity? Sure. But they can also see that this game is nothing like the previous installments.

Disappointing, frankly. Even worse when they sponsor the website (which might give the wrong idea for some people about the whole issue).

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We split threads all the time when they get railroaded as hard as this game has, who is advertising with us has no bearing on forum moderation or editorial content. I know you guys want to air all of your grievances and make Tobi answer for his crimes, and that's fine, you can do that here. The purpose of our main forums is for discussions on gameplay and other things that are useful to people playing the game.

Believe it or not, most people enjoy video games they play. If you downloaded GoF3 because you saw it was featured, think it's cool, and have a question like this one which eventually lead you to discovering the TouchArcade forums, why would you bother registering and posting if the thread is filled with nothing but irrelevant rants and people who hate the game you like?

5. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #45 Dankrio, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Just to clarify, I don't think it is related to the ad or something. I trust you guys. But some might get the wrong idea.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

That's fine, people who don't trust us enough to think we're being swayed by advertisers can find a different web site to visit.

7. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I have no doubt this is true, what I was talking about was more along the lines of "appearances". Some extra sensitivity should have been applied here precisely because they are a sponsor. I understand that the intention here was probably good, but the way it looks from the perspective of the community is probably not so good. As the election has unfortunately taught us, it's often about appearances more that anything else.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

#48 Eli, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    We've spent the last eight years treating developers equally, whether they advertise or not. Again, anyone is thinking we're doing this because Fish Labs is sponsoring us this week, well, there's probably some other iOS games forum they can post on.

9. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I understand, and I appreciate where you're coming from. This isn't the first situation like this that we've had to deal with. For instance, a few times we've picked a Game of the Week that was also a game being advertised on the site at the same time. My response there would be the same as here: Should we NOT pick a game we think is worthy simply because it's also being advertised and it might look sketchy to someone who isn't more familiar with us and our years of integrity? If that is the case, then that is the definition of letting advertising influence our editorial decisions. This is pretty much the same situation. Should we NOT moderate a forum thread to our usual standards simply because the game in question is being advertised on the site? That would also be a case of letting advertising influence our decision making.

10. adamlax

adamlax Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Male
    I still have emense respect for fishlabs for creating gof2. I can understand the need to support people and their jobs and want to make money but through bs free games like this is just so degrading. I don't understand how games like this, modern combat, dungeon hunter, and others can start off good with developers pouring love and pride into their creations then turning to quickly made money grabbers. In my opinion I would find it embarrassing to even put my company name on a simple knock off scam of a once good series. I miss those days when developers took pride in the games they made on iOS. And I thank the dying breed of developers that still do.

11. Gunther4C

Gunther4C Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    My comment that got removed was entire comment about my Review, is that not what belongs on the games forum?

12. TouchiMedia

TouchiMedia Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I really like this comment as it happens all too often in gaming communities. Instead of moving on cause game doesn't fit their preferences- it's almost like they stay around in hopes of turning possible customers away from the a game that they may still enjoy even tho whomever does not. See it time and time again.

Developers on all platforms work very hard ( game development is far from easy) and it's a shame this stuff happens. It's ok to state your opinion in a constructive manner but move on. Your opinion isn't always how others may feel. Personally I am enjoying gof 3

13. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I would think so, yes.

14. tylerdurden

tylerdurden New Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Criticism?

Earlier today, I read loads of posts here criticising this game, now they are gone.

I wonder what happened.

:confused:

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

#55 Eli, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Not when it needs to be prefaced with, "WARNING, the post below may be considered very rude and extremely rantish."

"Very rude and extremely rantish" posts are exactly what we're trying to get rid of.

16. kuryushibo

kuryushibo Active Member

May 8, 2012
    #56 kuryushibo, Dec 9, 2016
    Negative posts seems to be getting deleted.

Edited: posts are being moved lol

17. adamlax

adamlax Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Male
    I'm pretty sure me and these people have moved on. We aren't saying don't download this and we hope this game fails. Of course I would've loved an amazing follow up of gof2 but it's not the end of the world and will continue and move on. I will continue to play gof2 and support this developer but the people on here are simply just stating their opinion. Just like you just did. Nobody on here wants this game to fail simply because it doesn't go along with their preferences. And yes by saying this happens all the time is true, it's called a negative review and they are not just biased people saying something to dissuade others from buying it. I'm fully aware of the time it took for them to make this game and I respect that. But any person can go google the wiki for gof2 or simply download and play for a little bit and see the difference in the two games. People on here on all sharing ideas that agree with what I just said. That is why there is a different thread for the main game.

18. rpgmind

rpgmind Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Is this where we come to complain?! Well, I wanted this game to be more like Wrestlemania 2k17!!! It's not, so I'm mad about that!!!! T-that's about it, I suppose...

19. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    #59 Ikeda, Dec 9, 2016
    It should be pointed out since it was done, that the only "discussion" in this thread are "positive" ones. All the ones that are construed as "negative" have been moved to a hidden thread so people don't come on and read them. Kind of a lame thing to do frankly. Especially since you could read this thread and think the game was the most awesome one ever. I would think the mods should have at least noted there is a huge time chunk missing from the original posts. Even if you're going to moderate that, it should be noted that it exists.

Sorry... reading this thread, I thought I lost my mind as a ton of us don't care for it but all those opinions were moved OUT of the game thread.

EDIT: You know Mod's you can do that all you want. But it's messed the hell up that you don't note it somewhere in the thread because people have a right to know that they're jumping into a F2P mess. And I wasn't off topic or mean about it. But sure, just bury whatever you want. The game will clearly speak for itself. But I gotta be honest, you guys say you think that people who feel aggrieved by this should go elsewhere and I gotta say... moderating something like my above post is just silliness. Have fun with the full time job of covering up everyone's disappointments with the "fixes" Fishlab promised us coming out of beta.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You mean like the giant bold red text at the top of the game thread?