"First time" developing.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by henr1kk, Dec 20, 2008.

1. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    Will do!
    Thank you so much for all the help! :)

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Just wanted to wish you luck on developing your first game. :)

Merry Christmas

3. oticon6

oticon6 Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Don't EVER think that CoreGraphics will be good enough. Learn OpenGL. This was a big mistake that I made.

4. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    Yes, and when possible avoid trying to mix the iPhone UI Interface Builder stuff with your OpenGL scene. If you can do it all in OpenGL, it'll make your life much easier (and the game will be faster).

Also, when it comes to loading, the iPhone seems to be better at lots of little graphic files rather than a few really big 1024 images.

5. henr1kk

Nov 4, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    #25 henr1kk, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008

Ok! Thanks for that tip :)
    In most tutorials they advise against mixing IB with OGL. So I guess I'll use IB for menus and the rest is up to OGL.
    Me and my girlfriend ( the development team xD ) are currently starting to learn C and we're brushing up our skills in PShop, Illustrator, etc. Then we're off to Obj-C, Cocoa and OGL.
    We already have a few concepts written down for some simple time-wasting apps and one or two concepts for action platformers.
    We hope that, in 6 months, we'll have at least one of the simple apps ready. We're fast learners so I think it's possible.

6. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    Just for a slightly different approach which may get you some results sooner (and results == motivation to continue, helps if you're like me and get bored of reading about how to do stuff and want to get stuck in :)

Learn just the basics of c/c++ or objective-c (After looking at obj-c I'd be tempted to say just learn one language if you've not done any OO coding before - If you're just going to do cocoa/mac/iphone coding, go for obj-c)
    variables, functions, memory handling, classes

Fiddle with an existing apple demo that's basicly what you're going to use (a 2D opengl ES demo) and change it to see what it does. (and refer to the book as required) until you know what everything does in the demo

then decide what you want to make (tetris, snake, 3D stunt rider, whatever)

and fiddle with the code until it's what you want, when you're not sure how to do somehting, just google, whatever it is it's been done before :)
    that's how I started making games 12 years ago :)
    (well aside from the google bit)

then profit!

7. henr1kk

Nov 4, 2008
    Porto, Portugal

That's a great strategy!
    I just feel I need to learn C so I can feel more confortable when I make the jump to Obj-C (or other languages).
    But I will mess around with Apple's samples, that's for sure!
    Thank you for the motivation! :D