iPad First Annual iPhone/iPod Touch Game Awards

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by The Lab, Dec 12, 2008.

1. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    #1 The Lab, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
    These Disappointing Awards were a disappointment to most. They were not my views but since it bothered a lot of people I've decided to remove the summarization of the comments made by other gamers in what they found disappointing. I figured putting them in categories in a whimsical way would give other people a laugh. I was wrong and too many took this thread seriously.

Still the majority of us can agree that
    Zombie Mansion
    Spore Origins
    Kroll
    were some of the games we found disappointing... along with others.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The Award for Most Disappointing Racing Game
    CRO-MAG RALLY
    I liked cro mag

The Award for Most Disappointing Action/Adventure Game
    KROLL
    Agreed

The Award for Most Disappointing Game Port
    STAR WARS THE FORCE UNLEASHED
    Just because it wasn't the same game as on other consoles doesn't mean it was bad.

The Award for Most Disappointing Game that is Good in other Platforms
    SPORE ORIGINS
    Technically if it's on other platforms... it's a port. But Spore Origins was only on cellphones, The Iphone version is better than all the others

The Award for Most Disappointing FPS
    ZOMBIE MANSION
    Agreed, the controls are pretty hard to use

The Award for Most Disappointing Puzzle Game
    TOPPLE
    I don't consider Topple a puzzle game. Shinro was pretty bad considering you COULDN'T beat a level when it was first released

The Award for The Most Popular yet Disappointing Game (Won a lot of awards and sold the most yet has a lot of complaints)
    SUPER MONKEY BALL
    I still don't know how people are able to play that game. it was terrible

The Most Disappointing Game of All
    KROLL
    Agreed

Most Disappointing Developer
    NGMOCO, INC.
    There is no way that NGMOCO is the most disappointing! All of their games are high quality and have been increasing in WIN with each game released. The TRUE winner is DS Effects.

3. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Sorry but ngmoco is not the most disappointing developer....

They're dedicated to the platform and coming on leaps and bounds with each release..

Gameloft and EA are disappointing ..... good high-profile games but lacking in polish and bug-ridden

4. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Sounds like pretty much everything disappoints you!

5. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    ngmoco does everything right, EVERYTHING.
    Not one of their games is close to a disappointment.
    Prices are always fair and the game experiences are mostly very unique!
    They actually CARE about this platfom.

6. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Sorry to ruin the first annual disappointment party! :p

7. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

OMG. Ngmoco is one of the best devs on the app store. Topple was good, and Dr. Awesome and Dropship are amazing. You are crazy, and DS Effects, and AAApplications are both tied for the worst dev.

8. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If someone is disappointed with the majority of a developer's games, how can that person hail them as a good developer? :confused:

9. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Cro-Mag has better graphics, framerate, levels, weapons and gameplay than the best selling game (on the Irish store at least) Crash Bandicoot.

The only negative for me is the lack of any progression/promotion. It's just a loose collection of races. For me it's a loooooooong way from the most disappointing racing game on the App Store.

For me, the most disappointing is Aqua Forest. Sluggish; dull gameplay; (deliberately) blurred graphics which impede gameplay. Meh.

10. Aerundel

Aerundel Member

Dec 11, 2008
    First Annual Awards based on 12 hours and 5 pages worth of ranting = Last Annual Awards presented by The Lab.

Seriously, there's like no merit to this list. Sample size is way too low...and you didn't even suggest the comments in the previous thread would be taken as "votes" in this thread.

11. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not confused with why someone might consider a game disappointing. I just don't understand the statement:

12. Scutty

Scutty Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Uk
    What a load of rubbish these so called awards are I can't say I agree with them one bit.

How can you be disspointed with a game that's not even out. That' just crazy.

13. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Don't see the logic in the last sentence. I see your point about DS Effects, but everyone around here are addicted to ngmoco games. :confused:

14. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    My thoughts exactly...

15. akuma7703

akuma7703 Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Interactive Designer
    New York and Accra, Ghana
    I think your thread title is misleading. I also think this thread is highly unnecessary: are you a developer? Do you know what it takes to put out a good title? Many of these games ARE good titles and the fact that you have them classified as "dissappointing" is something that will put A LOT of people off them. It's simple english: something that's dissappointing is something that's not too good. A casual viewer looking for reviews before buying games may stumble on this list and read it exactly the way everyone else on this thread is reading them, and that's wrong. Why not simply have "best games/worst games" categories? And why not set up a thread specifically for the purpose of people voting for the games? The proper way to do this would be to scour different review websites plus play most of the games yourself, then select a few of the best from each category and set up a thread having people vote to select thecream of the crop. This thread as you have it is pointless.

16. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    And "The Most Disappointing Thread and Therefore It's OP Being A Failure" Award goes to The_Lab. Congrats buddy!

17. marc

marc Member

Dec 9, 2008
    University student
    Ontario, Canada
    First Annual iPhone/iPod Touch Game Awards Reply to Thread

I agree with Super Monkey Ball!! I played the first couple of levels and gave up in frustration :mad:

18. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    #18 tunawrap, Dec 13, 2008
  19. akuma7703

akuma7703 Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Interactive Designer
    New York and Accra, Ghana
    And that's why I said this thread is pointless and should not only be locked, but deleted. There are some games that without a doubt are terrible: Zombie Mansion....but you are making a heinous error by classing the likes of DropShip or even Spore in the same class as Zombie Mansion. THAT is retarded. Case in point: EA is your most disappointing. Ngcomo (you claim) is other's. You didn't like Spore. I loved it. Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one: this thread serves no purpose but to potentially mislead a few uneducated potential buyers.

20. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    #20 The Lab, Dec 13, 2008
    This has been long understood. A joke about other people's opinions turned out to be misleading. But again these are all opinions and I'm sorry that others took them as authoritive statements that may have swayed their purchasing of games.

Now let us leave this thread alone so that it can fall to the bottom and be lost to our knowledge.

I'll also remove my previous posts dealing with this thread as to not influence anyone else from posting on it.

Others who have posted can also remove their posts from this thread or sure an administrator can lock it or delete it.

But if you want to continue and waste time on this go ahead