Firefox/Opera Mobile version?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by C.S.J, Feb 14, 2009.

1. C.S.J

C.S.J Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Have these been created for the iphone?

id prefer to use the firefox version, is it due for release?

... or have apple blocked those too?

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I wish...

But no, browsers aren't blocked.

3. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Apple just recently started allowing browsers....and an "opera mini" was in the works a while back which doesn't render the page in text form....it renders it as an image with hyperlinks still active on their servers and sends that to your device...

They said it was a lot faster....but idk what happened (still in the works?)

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    i ask, because i saw 'safe eyes' but i aint paying £12 just to try another browser on my iphone, even if it does have some nice filters.

browsers should be free, but maybe opera and firefox, i would pay a couple of pounds for. :)

to be honest, i like safari, but its always nice to have a change when you want to.

5. Dfender2022

Dfender2022 Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Being a kid
    California
    There is the full screen browser (Which i had forgot its name) that erases history after you go back to the homescreen. Its free too, last time i saw it.

6. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

#6 nizy, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    All of those "browsers" are basically skins for Safari/Webkit. They don't interpret the HTML any different to Safari. Its just like the "widescreen" email apps out there - adds functionality that Apple can't be bothered to implement themselves.

Technically the SDK forbids any app to run code, so unless Firefox/Opera was ported to use the Webkit engine (which would be rather pointless), they won't be on the app store anytime soon.

Personally, I would rather just see some Mobile Safari updates like these gestures for keyboard, but working for Safari (2 finger swipe left/right for back/forward or switching tabs etc), better performance with the new squirelfish engine etc.

7. mrcc

mrcc Well-Known Member

i kinda like the safari. its a change from my laptop. since im always trying the latest and greatest apps. just like on my wii. i like using opera. on my laptop i use chrome. its just different.