Universal Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Lurchroboter, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I usually play with JP voices too but im so used to FF in english that i just.... i dunno i find it so weird i put it back in english #

2. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Japanese voice English subs for me

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Started playing at the start of my 40 minute train commute and when I looked up again, we were pulling into my station.

My expectations were high. So far, the game has exceeded them.

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    The only thing I'm worried about is if the game is too short. The first chapter was amazing but it was very very short. I'm curious if each chapter is similar length.

I have bought the original ff15 but I don't have a ps4 so if the game is too trimmed I might want to wait on buying / playing the mobile version. I would definitely play it if it was as massive content wise because I like longer games that have collecting and grinding.

5. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Same here...hope this one has a great story and gameplay.

6. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    It’s shorter than the console I have it on
    Xbox one
    Some things I have noticed missing or not happening fishing, being able to go into restaurants and order food also that’s where you can find more side quests, also areas have Barriers keeping you from exploring
    Yes I am afraid too that it’s gonna be much shorter due to these things but I Bought it so I will play through it all and see if it opens up more at some point
    I want to grind and can’t :(

7. nbehre11

nbehre11 Active Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Virtual Controls

Anyone know if there is a way to change to virtual controls? I’m not a big fan of idly watching noct battle.

8. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I know and I agree but no options for it that I have found maybe down the road but I doubt it
    Basically it’s auto battle there are some small things you can control and you can warp

9. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I am worried i will finish it too fast and i don't know how much replay value there is to an auto battle linear RPG
    I still love the experience and glad we got it in any form those are just my worries
    I just started Chapter Two

10. Milotorou

Mar 19, 2015
    This is Square Enix we are talking about...

I dont think we will get less than 30 hours out of this, im 100% sure that chapters are not all the same length, else there would be no point to their price scheme either.

11. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #71 Dailon80, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    I would pay 60$ it if it had all the goods :)
    I have it on xbox so it's all good
    I love it dont get me wrong
    the option for camera and pic taking would have been cool too
    Shaun gives it 5 stars so I will stay with it and see
    his article does make some things clear about this version
    "You could drive around with your buddies, get in random fights, stumble on and solve side-quests that had nothing to do with anything in particular, and jam out to tunes in your car as you drove around. The same can't be said for the Pocket Edition, but I don't think it's necessarily a good or bad thing. The size of the world has been greatly reduced, and the flow of quests, mini-games, and sub activities have been reduced in scope to go with that. It hurts the game as a vehicle for goofing around, but it makes for a far tighter, more focused game all around. There's still plenty to do, but you won't (and to an extent can't) waste as much time doing it."

12. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Sad coz no mfi :(

13. Milotorou

Mar 19, 2015
    I was at first but after playing for 1hr i understand why they didnt include MFi Support, it just wouldnt work with the current controls

14. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    As someone that doesn’t play on consoles anymore I am actually glad I haven’t played ff15s original release. The PE is so fun so far but just by reading the reviews I already feel slightly cheated. Not because of the price or anything like that I would have paid more then 20 bucks if the game was graphically dumbed down but kept everything else. I want the full open world and random side missions they say are cut out. But it’s ok because that’s the price I paid shifting from consoles to mobile only. Which was a bit of a transition originally since I’ve been a console gamer since ‘88 :-D but I’ve played and beat all ffs excluding 11 and 14 except 12 and 13. I played 12 and 13 but hated them. Anyways I’m off topic here. All I wanted to say was I’m glad I didn’t play through the original ff15 and jumped in on this version, the open-ness and size would have ruined this for me, that’s just personal I’m not saying it would for everyone. But I’ll say this as someone with an mfi controller. This game shouldn’t utilize it. Really. The controls they have implemented here are perfect for touch. I say if you want to use a controller then go play it on a console where it was built for a controller. I’ve always been on the side, where some games are meant for touch and some aren’t. And some games are ported over without mfi so that you can say you have a full mobile version where you can play it anytime anywhere.

15. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    If anything, this is making me want to play through the mobile version and then go back and start over to play through the entirety of FFXV on PS4. I didn't get very far into FFXV my first attempt last year (I can probably blame Horizon Zero Dawn for that one) :D

16. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I wouldn’t say totally optimized for iPhone X. The gameplay and UI might be, but it looks like they maybe just scaled up the cinematics, causing parts to get cut off. At least some of the text in this one. Shows up fine in the screenshot, but was cut off due to the notch. Not a huge sacrifice, though. Probably the best compromise technically speaking.

Attached Files:

17. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #77 Dailon80, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Yeah that’s so true
    I played it some on my Xbox one cuz I own it but not near enough now that I know this isn’t the full game I will be jumping back on it some
    This is still fun and I’m happy with it and didn’t mind dropping the 20$ sure don’t regret it
    Just wish I hadn’t been hearing for last couple months that this was full version cuz it’s def not
    I do hope there are some spots in the game that are less linear so far it’s all linear really but I’m only on chapter 2

18. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Oasis Games has just announced that Final Fantasy Awakening will be soft launching today in Australasia and South East Asia. The Android version of the Square Enix licensed 3D ARPG will be available in Australia, New Zealand, Philippines, India, Laos, Cambodia, and Burma, with an iOS version set to follow soon.
    Another FF game is dropping soon too and it looks good off topic but not really :)

19. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Trying to decide if I should play this version or wait for the PC release.

20. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    Load Times

Anyone else having issues loading a save. Played through about 30 minutes of the first chapter, and loving it. Had to leave the app, and now its stuck on the loading screen. Rebooted phone and no luck. If its just me I'll assume the save file got corrupted somehow and will start again