Universal Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Lurchroboter, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Distrak

Distrak Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Dev
    World
    Ohhhh, yeah this looks amazing:D:D:D

2. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I was in the exact same boat. This or CR3 for 30 bucks each.
    I chose this one.
    Three reasons.
    *I knew it was going to be a game I could finish in a reasonable time. (I have way too many games that have over 80hrs content that eventually get boring and forgotten about).
    *Because it had a demo I could give it a trial run so I knew what the game looked like and what the gameplay was like.
    *I'm still bummed out with Chaos Rings 2 being removed from the App Store while I had it uninstalled temporarily when I needed some space (though I do know both games come from Square Enix).

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I love CR1 and CR2 and it does bum me out that they are no longer available — mainly because I would love to recommend them to others.

CR3 has been a bit of a grind, to the point that I set it down and have not touched it in a long while. I think my main issue is the characters: they are simply not as compelling as, say Escher on CR1.

FF15 characters have me hooked. I love the camaraderie and “bro” ness of their banter, and Noctia’s arc has some genuine pathos to it. That I also like the gameplay (especially the boss fights) is kind of a bonus :).

4. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Why does this game keep crashing on iPhone X? Getting tired of running around and finding the hidden items. Are devs aware?

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Heard this from a few folks. I’ve had 0 crashes on my iPhone X — though I did have one battle when the environment failed to load (played fine otherwise). I haven’t even cleared memory.

Are you playing at high/60 FPS? I’m doing high/30 FPS.

6. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Does this game support 120hz on the new iPads? I would assume so if you have options for 30 FPS, 60, and “maximum FPS”. Unless maximum doesn’t do anything.

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    CR3 is my pick. That is absolutely my favorite RPG on the entire app store. Nothing comes close. Unless you like short RPGs (I dislike short RPGs since I feel like there's not enough payoff), there's really nothing wrong with CR3 imo. Great gameplay, long story, beautiful graphics, heavy content, deep game systems, lots to explore, top notch VAs. And of course I find CR3 better than the other CRs. The other CRs were very easy for me to finish because they were all short games and didn't take too much work to complete.

This game is good but I don't think I can find anything that compares to CR3 except ports, which I don't count because ports can be good or bad based on the way they're ported. CR3 was made for handheld devices from the beginning.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Seems like I have to get back to CR3 :).

9. tennischamp5

tennischamp5 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2012
    Medical Student
    Saint Louis, MO
    So i played FFXVPE nearly nonstop after release. Attempted to 100% it... can't say I succeeded, but I got pretty close. I collected every recipe, every statue, and every battle in every stage. I spoke to every npc, heard every scene/dialog. Only things I may have missed were dogtags (never found anymore after the first). All in all, the game took me around 14-16 hours to beat (unsure of the exact length) but I was primarily going for a speed run of sorts. For more relaxed gamers, you're probably looking at 20-25 hours of gameplay. Each chapter takes anywhere from 1 hour to 2.5 hours to beat.

At any point, you can go back and re-do chapters for extra experience. I didn't redo any until after I had beat the game.
    Ended on level 54ish I believe after my first playthrough.
    Then I started messing around with chapters for extra xp. Since I don't need to rewatch cutscenes, I can finish most in 30 minutes or so but difficulty stays the same. I was kinda hoping they'd add end-game or future content, otherwise re-doing chapters becomes kind of a waste. I can mostly 1-3-hit all mobs below chapter 9 (I'm nearly Lv 60 now). I'm sure by 99, you'll be able to two hit everything but bosses.

I think the biggest disappointment for me was the lack of any end-game content and the royal arms. I don't know how the console version was, but the royal arms really didn't make much difference for me. I just equipped whichever newest one I got and they were all equally effective.
    Likewise, you end the game missing five royal arms. Apparently, you just click on the world map to get them. Which seemed extra lame.

10. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Well we all have different tastes! If you don't like CR3 don't force yourself. I like FF15 pocket but lots of people didn't like it so ahh well.

Actually I'm thinking of deleting FF15 pocket after buying the $20 unlock, not because I hate it or don't want to finish but I'm enjoying it so much I want to play the original. I think I'd rather play the original first before pocket if I was going to play both. Unfortunately I don't have money for a PS4 (and I bought FF15 the collectors edition for collection purposes as an FF fan). I probably won't play FF15 for a while if I go the console route. Why am I doing this to myself? :mad:

11. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    If there is a limit to the budget, I think it would be good to buy FFXV PE, and CR3 on sale.

Chaos Rings 3 would be great to buy at the Square Enix sale. It has often had discount events as a Christmas event.

However, this Final Fantasy XV PE may not be on sale. Because it is equipped with IAP format.
    It would be hard to predict discounts like FFD.

Conclusion :
    There will be an interval in time, but enjoy both.;)

12. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Yes you nailed it. I really wanted to buy this game. The graphics and the gameplay and everything are just perfect until someone said he finished it in less than 18 hours I was like wtf... 30 bucks for 18 hours?
    I have played cr3 I really like it. But someone mentioned that cr3 does drop in price. Maybe I should just wait

13. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I Guess u are right about the discounted cr3. I actually hope they optimised cr3 for iphone X though

14. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I think CR3 is worth full price obviously because of how highly I rate it. It's good enough that it was released for Vita I believe - it's a complete "console" game.

As for ipx I doubt it'll get updated at all. SQE has abandoned CR series it seems. Most of their games now are either ports of popular games or gacha games. Premium original games they've moved away from sadly.

15. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #235 Gambler, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Just finished the game and even though I thoroughly enjoyed it I’ve got a few gripes. The last chapter was a little bit short and the endfight pretty underwhelming, even easier than most other bossfights in the game which weren’t that hard in the first place.

Also 27 Dollars (Chapters 2-10, price in Europe, over 40 if you buy the chapters seperately) is a little excessive considering it’s a port light and there’s not much of a replay value. I’m all for high value premium games but comparing ffxv pe to Square’s CR3 or TWEWY or other high quality premium games/ports like Ember, Binding of Isaac or INSIDE, I think 15 bucks (which would probably convert to 20 for Europe) still would have been more than sufficient.

And even though I enjoyed the new fighting system (frankly this was the first FF I played through as I’m usually not the biggest fan of JRPGs or turn based combat) the fights are way too easy as it’s literally near to impossible to die in combat. It never was much of a challenge. The story also was rather predictable and forgettable. Graphics were ok but did the faces really always have to have the same expression? Noct always looked angry, no matter if he cried, laughed or well, was angry. Also no mouth movement/lip sync at all.

That being said I still enjoyed the ride very much and would rate the time I had with it 4 1/2 stars. Considering this I know the following sounds a bit ambivalent but now that the game is over I don’t know if I’d buy it again, at least I don’t think I’ll fire it up again for quite a long time (it’s a bit like going out drinking too much and even though you had a rather good time the next day you wake up with a hangover and an empty wallet and say to yourself “never again” even though you know you probably don’t mean it ;) ).

16. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    One question. Will u replay this game? Your answer will make me think about buying this.

17. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Agreed with above there really is no replay value and it takes up a lot of space
    I am going to delete it after I finish
    Maybe I will go back to it once they update if they do add anything
    My final verdict if you have this on console save your money if you don’t have a console may be worth a go for you
    Some good some bad to say about it but overall not what I expected and my number one gripe is this game has zero replay value :(

18. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Do you think there will be anything else you can enjoy with future updates?
    It would be a pity if there were no additional content updates.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    To each his own, I guess. But I find the concern with replay value on an 18+ hour story-driven RPG to kind of, well, odd. I currently have a backlog of at least 50 games (or more). Replaying a game seems like a fantasy to me: I just want to finish a game and move on to the next one.

But maybe you guys download a lot fewer games than I do :).

20. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Personally, I love the world of FFXV, so I will be replaying quite a few of the chapters... probably before I even beat it! Then again, I'm over 112 hours on the console game and maybe half done. I also am playing through Comrades and Monster of the Deep. So, for me, it's worth it. I'd rather fire up FFXVPE right now than any other mobile game I own. And even when I start a new game or revisit an old one, I'll probably come back to FFXVPE quite often just because it feels like home.

But I'm clearly not a play-it-and-move-on kind of guy. I find what I really like and invest my time and energy (and money) into that until something else begins to pull me away. Monster Hunter World will probably pull me away from FFXV's world a little. :)