Universal FINAL FANTASY VI - (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 5, 2014.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Taunting: I will not answer you directly. Just say that SQEX is known reduce the price of FF titles from time-to-time, and if you could manage to avoid all the posts in this thread on how enjoyable this game is, I would suggest you -- wait for a price drop.

2. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    For those on the fence, perhaps because they've had experience with the other FF games on iOS but nothing else, I'll say that VI is definitely worth your time.

Perhaps VII, with its FMV cutscenes and transition to 3D will always be known as the game that brought JRPGs to the masses, but VI is the game that really marked the series' change of direction from something traditional into something far more unique.

Yes, the graphics and music are still retro, and yes, there are still kings and castles, but there's some big changes that really shake the formula up when compared with 1-5.

The world features steampunk elements that allow factories and skyscrapers to sit alongside the typical caves and ruins. There's a whopping 14 playable characters - they all play completely differently from one another rather than just having typical class skills and they all have their own backstories (usually with personal side quests attached). The overall story also is amazingly involved. Like Chrono Trigger it twists and turns all over the place, with multiple arcs and comparatively fast pacing.

If you've played the old FFs and feel a bit bored of forming a traditional party then going off to save the world in the most obvious way possible, give FF6 a chance. It's still a game from 20 years ago, so don't expect your mind to be blow with its originality or anything, but as a huge FF fan I'll happily admit this is the only pre-3D FF I can endlessly come back to. It's an absolute classic.

3. Johnny1st

Johnny1st Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Anyone knows how this plays on an iPhone 4 ?

4. Smurgendorf

Smurgendorf Active Member

Nov 29, 2012
    California
    iOS controller support?

5. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    #165 Edmilan, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    FF6 is one of the best games in the series but $16 for a 20 year old game? Even for the sake of nostalgia, i'll probably wait for a price drop.

6. Keitch83

Keitch83 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Couldn't care about price.£11 for the greatest rpg I've ever played in the palm of my hand is a no brainer.Cant wait to get stuck back into this.

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I believe I read that they suggest 4s and above because of RAM memory. They said that 4 might crash after certain scenes, but if you save often it should still play relatively fine.

All that to say that I have a 4 but haven't gone to ios 7 yet so I can't tell you fist hand. I had to upgrade phones for this and a couple other games.

8. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Anyone experiencing crashing? It takes me 3 or more tries to boot the game up on my iPhone5. I haven't had it crash in game, but I'm a little nervous of the possibility.

9. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    The question that needs to be asked:

Is this port of an old game worth your time?

That depends on many factors:

A.) Prior experience with the game.

Those who have already played this game will re-experience this game, for good or ill. If someone played this and thought it was crap back in the day, then this port isn't going to change their minds. If someone enjoyed the game back then, then they will be likely to enjoy this port as much as they did back then, if not more/less so. This factor is something personal, and as such must be considered on a case-by-case basis.

B.) Availability of the original version.

Those who have never played it will have a chance to play it without going to too much trouble to do so. What's more convenient: getting an SNES off of EBay and a controller and a copy of the game also from EBay, hoping that the hardware works, and then being forced to play it on lower resolution monitors (if they can find a reasonably priced one) so that its pixel art style doesn't look atrocious on an HD monitor? Or tapping the "Buy" button on the App Store and waiting a few minutes?

Even downloading emulators/ROMs off the Internet takes a little technical know-how, because you need to know what emulator you are using, where to find them and the ROM, download them to your PC, figure out how to get the emulator to recognize the ROM, figure out the ideal keyboard setup and get it set up, and pray that a malicious hacker hasn't slipped a virus/Trojan/etc. into any of the files. Or, you could buy the cart from EBay, rip the ROM out of it somehow and code your own emulator, if you are paranoid about using third-party emulator software.

Convenience is the greatest selling point of porting an older game to new systems/platforms, because it allows folks who are not as hardcore as to go above and beyond the previous paragraphs a chance to enjoy this game without hassle. The fact that Squeenix put some effort into the port via the various graphical updates is an unexpected bonus, along with several of the other features they have added for the sake of convenience. Remember: Squeenix could have made a straight port of this game, like they did with Chrono Trigger, which would open the game up to be compared to all the other sprite-styled RPGs on iOS in an unfavorable way.

C.) Price point.

If we calculate the inflation of the US dollar from 1994 (FF6's release year) to 2012 (only 2 years ago), what cost $60 then would cost upwards of $90 in 2012. So, in terms of economic value, the game is "worth" at least 90 bucks in its original form.

If we consider this as a re-release with tweaks and updates, that cuts the potential economic "value" of the port by a huge amount... but because the game is a.) considered a "classic" game, b.) has arguably better graphical fidelity that preserves the original art direction, and c.) preserves the original game mechanics as much as possible, it is reasonable to guess that, purely in terms of economics, the port would be "worth" anywhere between 1/10 to 1/5 of the original's economic value, which we established to be anywhere reasonably above $90 USD.

This means that a reasonably-priced port in today's dollars COULD fall between the price range of $9 to $15. I freely admit that I chose my "value" factors based on what seemed logical to my own perception of the game's "value," so if there is a way to determine such a "value" judgment without invoking human error, please feel free to correct me and attempt to apply it, because I feel that an unbiased method of analysis would greatly benefit this discussion.

When something that is priced in that range is placed in a platform environment like iOS where the vast majority of games are free or one dollar, of course the game would look "overpriced" in comparison, even when its current price is at a relatively reasonable economic "value."

Does this mean that FF 6 should be priced under its supposed "value" so that it can compete with the other games on the App Store? Not necessarily.

A very effective and very well-documented (and successful) business practice is for a business owner (such as Squeenix) to market their products as something different from all the other products on the market. One of the most effective ways to do this is to price the product differently from all the other products, because that gets a consumer's attention. It makes them ask a question: why is this game priced in this manner? The consumer's curiosity leads them to either find an answer, by buying the game or doing some research, or give up by deciding the effort to answer that question is not worth his/her time.

What this does is that it gets consumers to think about the game differently from other games on the App Store, which is a huge marketing boon. After all, there are seventeen pages in this thread stuffed with discussion and thoughtful statements, some more thoughtful than others (I do not know anyone personally, so I will not make any kind of actual judgment on the implications of this statement. Not even I can tell if a troll/non-troll is serious or not, and I doubt anyone could do so in an accurate and unbiased manner). All because of that price point. It's marketing genious, if you think about it.

Does this make the price point reasonable? Considering my educated guess at the port's economic "value," and how close the price point is to that, I would personally say that TECHNICALLY it SEEMS reasonable. I highly recommend folks do their own investigation into this topic and come to a conclusion for themselves.

D.) Personal Preference.

This should go without saying, but I am going to say it anyway:

Do whatever you feel like doing, without being a dick to other people's' innate right to do the same.

We all have free will. We all make our own decisions. These facts apply to every human being, with no exception. Yes, this includes the trolls and the haters.

This does not mean that decisions have no consequence; all actions have a cause and effect, even when said cause or effect are unknown and may never be known. Also, cause and effect are not carried out in a vacuum; our environment is a complex series of causes and effects that we deal with every day.

Think about the effects your actions may cause. Think about the causes that are affecting you.

You don't need to do this all the time. Pick a time, whatever works for you, and try it. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Be aware, however, that if you decide to act like a troll, others will be affected by your decision. You may also be affected by their reactions, which could cause you to react to their reaction. Ask yourself, then: is this the effect I wanted to cause? Is this the way I wanted to react to what affected me?

Again, your mileage may vary. I bring this up because it seemed like a good idea. I hope it gets people to think about it in a reasonable manner.

So, after all that, is this port worth your time? If you like the convenience of it and you think it is at a reasonable price point, and you prefer games of this type, AND you may have enjoyed the game before, OR you look forward to playing it for the first time... then I would make an educated guess and say, "yes, it is worth your time." Once again, but certainly not least: your mileage may vary. You may agree or disagree. There may be other factors/interpretations of existing factors (or both) that go into your decision. Take the time to make that decision, though. Or at least, make it of your own free will.

Those are my thoughts on the matter. I have not yet played the game, but I have bought and downloaded it. I enjoyed the GBA port, and look forward to completing this game once and for all. I have made my decision, and I thought this elaboration on some of the factors that went into my decision might help people come to their own decisions. It's hard to make a choice for yourself when folks are shouting at each other, so I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    First impression: none too fond of the battle selection controls. The presence of the cursor seems to confuse things, and it seems as if I can't always just tap an ability, and then tap the intended target.

Also, it would have been cool to see this in truly modern, highly detailed, hi-rez retina graphics, with more extensive character and environmental artwork. With our hardware, I don't think fully hand-painted models and landscapes with contemporary level of detail would have been unfeasible. But perhaps economically so ;)

But I still like the art style in general, and the game is pretty in a dated way. The battle and character menus, however, smacks of late 90s web design, with all those gradients of aquamarine blue and neon purple, white borders and agressive selection higlights.

And a combination of sophisticated TBS games such as FFT, XCOM and Ravenmark, and On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness' evolved variant of JRPG mechanics (with the initiative bar, interrupts, speed mechanics and various multi-stage abilities), has made me even more aware of how mechanically limited and rigid FF's battle paradigm is.

But in spite of all of this, still this is pretty durned fun, and easily worth the price tag. That's saying something. All the more for coming from a self-proclaimed FF critic, who only gave this game a chance thanks to some fleeting remnants of positive memories from late childhood :)

11. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yes. I am getting a crash first time I try to launch the app every time. However, I haven't rebooted my phone yet after installing.

One thing I just experienced is I am fighting an enemy early on and I attacked (after which he should have died), then he attacked me! ...and THEN he died. Is that normal?! Every other FF game have the enemies die after you attack them and drain their HP... NOT after you do that AND they get one more shot at you. Weird.

12. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    #172 sabin1981, Feb 6, 2014
    Yeah, it's a sore point indeed. Still, nobody has mentioned it yet so either it's not there in the iOS version or perhaps nobody has been offline yet.

Completely normal for some enemies, they have "last attack" skills - such as early enemies throwing a wrench at you when they die. Get used to it, because you'll be fighting MagiMaster later in the game and he casts Ultima as his death knell :p

13. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Does this game have the usual random battles or u can actually see the monster on screen

14. sabin1981

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    #174 sabin1981, Feb 6, 2014
    Random 99% of the time. Scripted story events will often have enemies in view (such as defending Tritoch from the Empire forces)

-edit-

Oh and despite my own namesake, my favourite is actually FFVIII too, Rinoa ;)

15. BTNLegend

BTNLegend Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Canada
    Heh, looks like I got excited for nothing. I can't get this game. I don't have an iPod Touch 5 or iPhone 5 (unless it's my dad's).

16. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Thanks for the answer! Yeah, that'll make this one more Interesting and fun. Guess it's more reason to level up with some fun grinding. Man, I love mindlessly grinding levels in these games. Relaxing for me. And I am actually really enjoying the art style more than I thought I would!

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #177 Ayjona, Feb 6, 2014
    Launched the game in flight mode, and it plays splendidly.

(But for some reason, this strange "iCloud" gameplay mode refuses to do anything :confused: )

18. sabin1981

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    @curtis

There's a reason why many consider VI to be the best in the series - and even those that don't see it as the best, it's still always in the top 3 or 5 :D Outstanding game with great characters, plot, pacing, music, the works :)

@Ayjona

Fantastic, thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to hear <3

19. f89igsuhp

f89igsuhp New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    #179 f89igsuhp, Feb 6, 2014
    well, i have not played any of the ff series. Are the ffs storyline connected or are they of separate story lines ? Checked some reviews and they said the first one was easy, buggy or something so I really don't know where to start

20. fearlesskk

fearlesskk Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Ahhh mine is FFXII because how there wasnt random battle. Im 18 y/o and older FF werent part of my life :/