Universal FINAL FANTASY VI - (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 5, 2014.

1. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Potential Newbie :)

To the Informed -

I have not played a FF game in the past but have really enjoyed some of Square's other games such as Chaos Rings and the two Rayman games. I suspect this is an AAA title for ios, and that is a plus.

But as a potential newbie, is this the FF game to get? I've read it is considered by many to be top 10 in its genre.

But, my concerns are:

1) I have limited blocks of time to play. Can I save anywhere or very frequently?

2) I may have to take breaks from the game lasting several weeks or more. Is there any provision, map, or pointers to remind me, in game, of where I was going or what I need to do next?

3) Finally, I'm not interested in a major grind fest or a game where I am likely to get stuck from progressing unless I did just the right things in developing characters etc. up to that point. To be blatant, for me, an easier game rather than a more difficult game would suit my fractionated and mobile life better than a very difficult game.

Please help :) I'm willing to pay for an AAA game that I will play but would like to avoid diving in for $15.99 US if I am likely to get stuck, lost or frustrated playing the game.

2. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    They did, it was called Final Fantasy Dimensions

3. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #83 Montanx, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Your concerns are largely not a problem.

1. Im not sure where to save besides the normal inns and various save points in dungeoins and before boss fights.

2. No worries, the port has hints to guide you.

3. No prob, its not a grind fest and combat is actually pretty fun and flows well so you may WANT to grind at some parts.

You cant get stuck or lost because there are a billion guides for this game all over the internet to take you step by step through the whole game if you ever need any advice, tips or guidance.

4. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Man I hope! Battery killer possibly so I'd like to play on my iPad and i5 on the go if possible. (And it doesn't melt mobile batteries lol)

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Final Fantasy VI is an excellent RPG but probably not the best place to start with JRPGs because it is a long involved game with a large party to manage. It's not necessarily grindy or complicated but a time commitment and likely not easy to follow if you take breaks of weeks or months. Consider Guardian Sage first.

6. sfrancik

sfrancik New Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Real question! Anyone know or can test if this has MFI controller support?

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    And the Chaos Rings series.

And Deus Ex The Fall.

And Demons Score.

And Drakerider.

And... Everything else they released. Coz let's face it, today's standards (on iOS) is very low.

8. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Those are not bad games.. Just saying. :rolleyes:

9. James

James Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Not sure why people go so far out of their way to trash on a wonderful title like this... maybe I just don't pay enough attention to gaming forums.

Not going to play because of the sprites? That sure sounds shallow. If the sprites are all it took to throw you off, you weren't interested in the first place. Besides, they do hold true to the spirit of the original sprites in terms of color, appearance, composition, and the old sprites would look silly with the remade environments. I think the only area where they really missed the mark is in brightening them up enough that they don't blend as they should with the game's backgrounds and atmosphere. It's a small bummer, but that alone isn't going to stop me from appreciating a game I haven't played in a long time.

Not going to play because it isn't a 'real game'? Or because it is 'expensive'? FF VI is one of the best JRPGs ever made, with delightful well-balanced gameplay, a lovely story, and a roster of fun and imaginative characters. It includes dozens of hours of quality gameplay. Pay an up-front price and enjoy the game from start to finish, with no in-game IAP elements designed to extract money from you in exchange for slowing things down or increasing difficulty to the point where fun ends and frustration kicks in. All for less than the price of one evening out with, perhaps, dinner and a movie.

It's not for everyone, but it *is* worth the price of admission for people who appreciate a good RPG. Or at least it should be. If someone is going to rail against pricing for a true game like this (whether a good new game based on a single price of admission or a remade gem like FF VI) they sure have no right to whine about all the other IAP-riddled trash saturating mobile development and ruining old titles like Dungeon Keeper. Although if they happen to appreciate that direction of game development, carry on. At least in that position someone isn't being a hypocrite when they whine about $15 (which they are not, presumably, spending in the first week or so on IAP to enjoy their 'free' title).

10. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I'm slightly confused, did you not like FFD? Easily my favorite FF game of late. Especially since I waited and got it all for 8 dollars.

11. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas

Have you played any of the Final Fantasy games on iOS? I think they all have the ability to save on the overworld map anywhere, anytime. You can also quick save in the dungeons, meaning you have to continue instead of loading a save file. I don't have this one because it isn't out yet, but I would imagine the saving would be similar, plus the added benefit of the cloud.

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Final Fantasy Dimensions is a high water mark for iOS gaming altogether. I hated the thought of an episodic mobile exclusive game ported to iOS from a prior smart phone format; little did I know that game would be amazing. It reminds me of some of the random cynicism we see surrounding pre-release Final Fantasy VI. I suspect once some of the nay-sayers will come around once FF VI they're actually been able to play Final Fantasy VI.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I do love FFD. That's why i (subtly) agreed to the post i quoted and added a few more good titles before i mentioned "everything else".

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Lets just all agree that Bravely Default is the Square Enix game to get right now!

edit: whoops wrong thread . . . :eek:

15. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I thought so, just making sure.

I honestly haven't liked an FF game as much as I enjoy FFD since FF9. While I enjoyed 10 & 12, I just did not get into them as much as FFD. And I don't enjoy talking about FF13 =(

16. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I'll be looking to test that out as soon as the game hits stateside!

17. sabin1981

sabin1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Norway
    Very glad it's out now, just waiting for midnight so I can grab it. Horrible sprites aside, I'm really looking forward to this (does my name give anything away? :p) and at least the world/enemy battlers look incredible. However! My purchase will depend on one thing; does the iOS version have the same unforgivable online-only DRM?

18. JammyJams

JammyJams New Member

Jan 21, 2014
    I still haven't finished FFV, but I may have to put that down to replay VI.

19. Couldn't quite get into FF4, so doubt if I will get this, but is there anything in this game that would make more worthwhile than FF4?

20. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I will continue to wait for the port of FFXII - Zodiac Edition.

(ducks)